Votes: 197 36.7%

• Total voters

Dead End

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
we dont need new pokemon, its not a problem with the designs.. its just too much.
the games are becoming too formulaic. legendarys arent special anymore.

I just really don't like the way that my childhood franchise is being taken, other franchises i loved have been ruined, and i can feel pokemon going the same way. They arent evolving the series, just doing the same thing all over again. It genuinely saddens me.
I think X and Y will be a big jump as far as features, I'm hoping the Story is a little more advanced with more cutscenes.
as far as eendaries are concerned I on't mind there being so many. I just ask that they give more of a side story leading up to the capture. I don't like how in every game the other legends Zapdos, Raiku, RegiRock, Heatran, Cobalion,ect
I'm happy the ay things have been going for Pokemon BW2 is my favorite game in the series. I have a feeling X/Y will take that spot.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing the Pokemon games since Blue, and me personally, I have yet to grow tired of them. It's all about isolating that one thing that you really like about it. I like traveling and learning about where they get the pokemon designs and names from. I was a little disappointed when I found out how little backtracking there was in the B/W (which was sort of rectified in B2/W2, but not much), so I want to see how they are going to set up this new region.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been playing the Pokemon games since Blue, and me personally, I have yet to grow tired of them. It's all about isolating that one thing that you really like about it. I like traveling and learning about where they get the pokemon designs and names from. I was a little disappointed when I found out how little backtracking there was in the B/W (which was sort of rectified in B2/W2, but not much), so I want to see how they are going to set up this new region.

Thats actually a really good way of looking at it.
For me, the thrill came from the strategy of building a team, where you can plan out a tight strategy that you can use.
For me, adding new pokemon takes this away.
Its why I really likes HGSS. All of the pokemon where ones that I recognized, and so it was more about hunting down specific ones I wanted for my team, and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of every single 'mon. It comes from playing R/B/Y - you could easily pour over guides of each pokemon, until you knew all 151, and their strengths/weaknesses off by heart. you can't do that with 700 pokemon.

For me, 700 is more than enough. now take us back to basics, and explore pokemon who have simply been throwaway in the past, and had no significance even in the anime/spin-offs. I want less new creatures, more new regions. Lets have the biggest region yet, with access to past ones. Sod it, lets have all 5 regions. Let us go on a quest, and catch all 700.

Its a matter of preference. I'm not being a troll, or hating on the franchise - I'll still play X/Y. I just think that Pokemon could continue to develop as a franchise in much stronger ways.

Ldsquillace

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't mind playing pokemon whith the same (or similar) formula over and over. With each passing generation, I have my faves and the ones I hate. It's just natural. But it would be great if they give us a game with a better story, like Pokemon Special's plot.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you can't do that with 700 pokemon.
Watch me. :P

Anyway, we've seen the "too many Pokemon. NO MOAR" thing before especially post Gen 2. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that :) But since the games centre around discovery and collection, and because you can get many older gen Pokemon in new games, limiting new Pokemon will seem counterproductive imho.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats actually a really good way of looking at it.
For me, the thrill came from the strategy of building a team, where you can plan out a tight strategy that you can use.
For me, adding new pokemon takes this away.
Its why I really likes HGSS. All of the pokemon where ones that I recognized, and so it was more about hunting down specific ones I wanted for my team, and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of every single 'mon. It comes from playing R/B/Y - you could easily pour over guides of each pokemon, until you knew all 151, and their strengths/weaknesses off by heart. you can't do that with 700 pokemon.

For me, 700 is more than enough. now take us back to basics, and explore pokemon who have simply been throwaway in the past, and had no significance even in the anime/spin-offs. I want less new creatures, more new regions. Lets have the biggest region yet, with access to past ones. Sod it, lets have all 5 regions. Let us go on a quest, and catch all 700.

Its a matter of preference. I'm not being a troll, or hating on the franchise - I'll still play X/Y. I just think that Pokemon could continue to develop as a franchise in much stronger ways.

you must have felt terrible when gold and silver offered up a real counter to mewtwos "i just destroy everything" tactic.

you can easily do that with 700 pokemon. mainly because you really just need to think about final evolutions anyway. that is sure to cut down the numbers to 400 or less. in addition to useless pokemon, like mr mime or magmorta, there has always only been about 200 pokemon you'd need to know.
most new pokemon are just like old pokemon anyway. like chimchar. its the torchik that does it right. its fast and strong, instead of weak and slow.

as for ingame, you never needed more than typing anyway. maybe ability now and then, but typing really is the most important. and thats usually given away by appearance alone.

also, what do you mean by explore pokemon who have been throwaway? unless they make a region of only zubat and pidgey, both will always remain throwaway. and theres not much to explore besides collecting all the different pokedex entries either together.

new pokemon, as well as new regions, are the basics for this game. exploring the new type combinations, the new strenghts and weaknesses, thats what made these games big. if you stop adding new pokemon and just have people run around new areas to catch them over and over, the franchise will die. imagine in heart gold and soul silver, they wouldn't have added the new pokemon at all. imagine it would have been just 251 and not a single pokemon more. only a handful of nostalgics would not have been angry to no end.

i agree that there are some points where these games could improve, but that would have to be in addition to new regions and pokemon.
people are pissed when they get new regions and new pokemon but pretty much the same old storyline.
they are pissed when they get a rather new storyline but have to play it in the same region with the same pokemon (just imagine the outcry if they would have made it like in black and white 1 again, only new pokemon until you get the national dex.)
people want all of that new.
so make it new pokemon, new graphics, new world (yes, world, not region, i agree with that, make it bigger) and then add some more. why not be able to start the game from different towns? so you meet different pokemon early on.

just check out a few other games. would you want to play 9 dragon quest games when they always have the same enemies? and those games are a lot more driven by story than pokemon. same goes for final fantasy. while everyone likes to finally meet a behemoth or bahamut, they'd feel quite ripped off if it was always just the same enemies with a slightly different story. or the same characters. noone wants another story about freaking lightning!
do you really want to use the same tactics over and over? because thats how it will end up without new pokemon. at least until they get one of each type combination for each basic role (like tank, phys and special sweeper, spinner, weather set up, spiker, etc etc). only when they made it that far, they have a legitimate reason to stop. cause then they really only could copy pokemon with new designs. and even that isnt such a bad thing. by all means, garchomp really is the better flygon. and infernape is just better than blaziken could ever hope to be. even with its hardly available dream world ability speed boost.
do you want to overcome the same obstacles in the same way over and over?

no matter how you look at it, new pokemon, besides completely overhauling old pokemon (which is not going to happen) is the only way to go. in addition to making everything else better at the same time

Reactions: Shuji1987

joelv6

Neku
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
we dont need new pokemon, its not a problem with the designs.. its just too much.
the games are becoming too formulaic. legendarys arent special anymore.

I just really don't like the way that my childhood franchise is being taken, other franchises i loved have been ruined, and i can feel pokemon going the same way. They arent evolving the series, just doing the same thing all over again. It genuinely saddens me.

Well the person/ company to blame is Nintendo:( its saddens me but its reality. i totally understand where your coming from. for example, sonic the hedgehog was awesome and then sega did the same formula and then sonic franchise died :sad: so yeah

i hope the new region gives you vibe or rush or whatever you want to call it, to search legendary Pokemon like in R/S/E and D/P

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you are so hell bend on having 151 Pokémon go play R/B/Y until those are the only colors you can see. There's no need to stop a franchise from moving forward.

It's not like they have cut those 151 out of the game forever you know. If you want them so badly then go catch them and make that your priority in X/Y. Nobody is forcing you to be stuck with the new Pokémon you know. Jeez..

There are always a few hippies who continue to live in the past. Move a long will ya?

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new Pokémon and I look forward to the new region! I love to meet new Pokémon and explore new regions. It's why I like Pokémon so much and have never grown tired of it. And when one of those familiar oldie Pokémon show up, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are so hell bend on having 151 Pokémon go play R/B/Y until those are the only colors you can see. There's no need to stop a franchise from moving forward.

It's not like they have cut those 151 out of the game forever you know. If you want them so badly then go catch them and make that your priority in X/Y. Nobody is forcing you to be stuck with the new Pokémon you know. Jeez..

There are always a few hippies who continue to live in the past. Move a long will ya?

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new Pokémon and I look forward to the new region! I love to meet new Pokémon and explore new regions. It's why I like Pokémon so much and have never grown tired of it. And when one of those familiar oldie Pokémon show up, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Agreed. If anything, NOT adding pokemon would make the series stale.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope the new region gives you vibe or rush or whatever you want to call it, to search legendary Pokemon like in R/S/E and D/P
i hope they add enough pve content this time... both b/w 1 and 2 were to short with the after elite 4 content... i really loved HGSS where they had to put so many legendaries to find just because you could not get them anymore on the ds...

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope they add enough pve content this time... both b/w 1 and 2 were to short with the after elite 4 content... i really loved HGSS where they had to put so many legendaries to find just because you could not get them anymore on the ds...
Too short? You still had half the region to explore in B/W, and find those Sages, and I (and probably just me) caught the Swords of Justice after the main story finished!

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too short? You still had half the region to explore in B/W, and find those Sages, and I (and probably just me) caught the Swords of Justice after the main story finished!
post game from HGSS
-final fight
-Ho-Oh and Bell Tower
-Lugia and Whirl Islands
-Cerulean Cave & Mewtwo
-Articuno & Seafoam Island
-Zapdos & Power Plant
-Moltres and Mt. Silver
-Suicune and Cerulean Cape
-Entei and Raikou
-Ruins of Alph
-Lapras and Union Cave
-Kyogre/Groundon/Rayquaza
-Daily and Weekly Events
-Celebi's Time Travel
-Spiky Ear Pichu
-Arceus and Sinjoh Ruins

post game from b/w
-final fight
-relic castle depths - volcarena
-challengers cave
-giant chasm - kyurem
-undersea cave
-abundant shrine -landorus (if you get the other pokemon from a trade)
-black city/white forest
-zorua and celebi
-zoroark and the crownbeasts
-the lock capsule
-victiny and the liberty island
-kaldeo and the secret sword
-maloeta and the relic song
-genesect and the drives

right now i think i havent finished black 2... i got till i fought black kyurem and then stopped playing...

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No it's not. Don't pollute this thread with nonsense please.
Who the hell are you to be talking like that.
"Pollute"
I laugh at you.

On a more "relevant" note
What tree-like name do you all think they'll choose this time for the professor?
Oak, Elm, Birch, etc etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1