Hacking POLL: Are you still going to buy Switch games after today's announcement?

Are you still going to buy Switch games now that the kernal is released?

• Total voters

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People still shouldn't assume until otherwise proven. The opposite, DRM, only drives people to piracy and DRM circumvention, which is pretty cathartic.
I'm just assuming the worst, sorry, well, it won't be till 2018 we get at least a userland exploit likely and it should take a bit longer to get to the point of having enough controll to pirate games, so wether it will effect it or not the switch still has more time to shine

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
based on sections would be decent enough but i don't know how easy it would be to implement.
have zero tolerance for question-only threads in dev release sub-boards and require reading and agreeing to an faq about zero-tolerance posting guidelines in other sections, such as no "hey guys how about___something that happened 5 mins ago___ and how it's going to affect sales/piracy/usb loaders/sd card loading/etc?" threads and/or posting outside of dedicated help threads.

You just can't help but notice a cycle of this every time an exploit releases. it shits the board up and fills it will trolly garbage threads full of people with egos on both sides, and newshits starting threads to get rises out of everyone instead of sharing information and helping each other.
a sad plague I know not the cure for

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be twits. Buy the games.

Which I plan on doing, it's the emulators I want, since Nintendo is doing the VC really half-assed. 2018 for something that should've been included from the get go? No thanks. If Nintendo really wants to discourage emulation and ROMs, they should just put the games on the Snes Classic on the Switch VC, but that'd make too much sense. It's either that or support those stupid scalpers on eBay.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which I plan on doing, it's the emulators I want, since Nintendo is doing the VC really half-assed. 2018 for something that should've been included from the get go? No thanks. If Nintendo really wants to discourage emulation and ROMs, they should just put the games on the Snes Classic on the Switch VC, but that'd make too much sense. It's either that or support those stupid scalpers on eBay.
would be funny if they got that nes emu sitting in the system to run and when an exploit comes around allow users to use it XD

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
Absolutely disgraceful post, without the purchase of games developers would quit making them an only an absolute moron would think otherwise. I'm all for try before you buy and if the software is what I expect it to be then I get my wallet out to support the developers for more of the same and before I complete the title.

D

Deleted User

here's the problem with piracy on the Switch:
It is underpowered compared to other consoles on the market (Xbox One (S/X), PS4 (Pro)). Current 3rd party support is very minimal.

3rd party devs are afraid of piracy because they don't want to lose profits.

Now, they don't lose profits but they do lose sales. It is very complicated, but basically, losing profits happens if you don't make the same amount of money on a product, when losing sales means you don't get the sales from pirates (probably wrong but you should get the idea).

When piracy hits, or even a kernel is dumped, that scares 3rd party devs.

So, now we lose on any potential 3rd party games.

This is the last thing I wanted to see today...

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight
D

Deleted User

I'm sure many people will buy the games anyway because hacking and piracy tends to interfere with online features. Not good when there's a mainstream Pokemon game coming to the Switch.

Reactions: Deleted User

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
No offense to anyone at all but wether the switch get's fully hacked or not the main thing people use this for are mod's, extra content ie custom content, it doesn't always come down to piracy and I think after reading a good few posts it's perfectly clear that most people wouldn't pirate games or of they do I'm sure it's probably to test the game before they go and buy it.

Which in all fairness while I'm on that subject online stores should have an hour trial to test the game (Cutscenes, movie scenes and splash screens ie powered by unreal etc... Shouldn't start the timer it should only go down when in game and timer should pause when the game is also paused)

This would be great if companies did this as I'm sure this would reduce piracy but either way as we're on the subject. As well I had a PS3 with CFW and didn't use it for piracy I bought the games from the store or on PSN store games aren't all that expensive also switch games are cartridge based so I'm assuming there more expensive to make and manufacture but it's still only an extra £10 or something to buy and there's sales on all the time.
I have 9 games for my switch 2 are cartridge and want rid as I want it all on the go I own Minecraft, oceanhorn, fast rmx, Zelda BOTW, MK8D, komiko, bomber man R, and few others and if I had a CFW, homebrew etc... To allow piracy I wouldn't I would rather buy it to support the creators make games at the end of the day it costs money to make the game and not just £40 - £50 to make but sometimes millions,

Soundtracks cost money
Actors cost money
Mo cap equipment etc... All costs money.

I think moderators need to close this thread now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good God, look Pokemon sun/moon sold over 15million copies.

3DS was hacked for piracy.

Pokemon sun/moon were easily available to pirate even before release.

Most people don't hack their console, ever. They don't dare/know how, I bet it's like 1%/2% of 3DS in the world are actually hacked, if that.

Stop fear-mongering it's absurd, you could only ever argue for 1 console failing due to piracy and that's the Dreamcast, and even that argument falls flat due to the Saturn failing also despite having no piracy.

Pre-owned games hurt devs far more than piracy does.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to buy the Switch now that I know it's kernel has been dumped. Why should I go buy a second one when my first one is good enough? Maybe if/when homebrew is actually out, I'll do it, but not right now.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even when a system is fully hacked, I will always buy a game I really want to support it... Like Monster Hunter. Yeeeeh.

Zabhahs

Goron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who dont buy games this early are just dumb. Enjoy playing zelda, mario kart and arms for 3 years until people actually hack it. Just like 3ds the dump wont be releases and we will have to play catch up for years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Psi's still profiting off his meth sales.