Hacking [Poll] What firmware are you going to be on when CFW is expected to release?

What firmware are you staying on (or updating to)?

• Total voters

Kipz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure smash is getting released this year(in fact nintendo have confirmed it), its a definite showing at E3. CFW on 4.1 might mean homebrew, but I wouldn't expect to be pirating games on 4.1 for at least another couple of years, if thats what your holding up for.
IIRC, the major cfw people are waiting for (atmosphere) will support both version faking and pirating, although that would need confirmation from SciresM

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IIRC, the major cfw people are waiting for (atmosphere) will support both version faking and pirating, although that would need confirmation from SciresM
SciresM has only said he won't be going out of his way to block piracy. He certainly won't be explicitly allowing it though.

Kipz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM has only said he won't be going out of his way to block piracy. He certainly won't be explicitly allowing it though.
He also said he'd be implementing ways to load homebrew off the home menu, and unless he goes super out of his way to create a whole new method of loading apps, the ability to install homebrew = the ability to install real games. A CFW without the ability to load custom titles is really quite pointless if i'm being honest. Still, we'd have to ask SciresM himself for confirmation either way.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It’s pretty much going to be like HENkaku or Haxchi in that the purpose is to run unsigned code. The devs don’t really care what people do with it from there.

Reactions: Slackot

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s pretty much going to be like HENkaku or Haxchi in that the purpose is to run unsigned code. The devs don’t really care what people do with it from there.
Henkaku wouldn't be much use without vitashell so there needs to be at least some sort of file manager.

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whichever one is the newest at the time. If CFW supports the latest firmware, I'll use the CFW, If TX's effort is the only one that supports the latest firmware, I'll grudingly go with that. I'd rather support the community solution, but it depends what works with what I have.

Same. I was ready to stick with 4.1.0 until the recent announcement, but I've since updated. If I can play the latest games and keep them updated until the time comes, I'm gonna.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from your list of systems, you seem to have plenty of time for researching, hacking, setup and maintenance, installing a ridiculous surplus of ram on a tiny board. could squeeze some time in there to play those super short and not so very wothwhile games ;) (at least bayonetta 1 felt like a waste of time)

Yes yes, but as we get older other priorities start to take over sadly haha. I also suffer from video game fatigue, too many games, not enough time to pick and choose what to play. Plus the weather is about to break here so I'll be focusing on outdoor projects when I can.

Im pretty sure smash is getting released this year(in fact nintendo have confirmed it), its a definite showing at E3. CFW on 4.1 might mean homebrew, but I wouldn't expect to be pirating games on 4.1 for at least another couple of years, if thats what your holding up for.

If I can create an emuNAND to protect my sysNAND from being update past 4.1.0 that's all I'll really be after for the time being. I don't have much time to play games anymore anyway, but I still like to tinker where I can.

reds

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sakamoto.pl
XP
Country
Poland
2.3.0. I thought about updating to 3.0.0, but lower is better - i'll be able to upgrade any time, but i won't be able to downgrade.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
I was on 3.0.0 w/ BotW in the box. Decided to go ahead and update to 4.1 to play it. Now I won't have smahx to get into CFW but I believe there will be a way to get kernel access to install it. And I am liking BotW.

D

Deleted User

I originally updated to 3.0.1 in order to download Sonic Mania, then a few mere hours later, we got the alert to not update. So since I was above the safety net, I kept updating.

Since then, I've been watching very closely, and not updated since 4.1.0

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever's latest. I don't care if it's less convenient. It works on every system that's in everyone's hands because of a hardware flaw. I plan to pay for Nintendo Online and use it as it should plus having the extra benefits of CFW that could involve save backups and translation patches. Although, since the Switch is region free, I originally opted to just not mess with my Switch since I hardly import throughout an entire generation. So far, I've only imported MHXX. We'll just have to see what benefits come with CFW other than the two I mentioned. The only reason my N3DS was hacked was to make it region free, allow translation patches, and NTR streaming.

EDIT: Oh, also backing up games for preservation is another good reason for CFW. By the time the Switch is ungodly obsolete, a Switch emulator will probably be very stable so I could just replay games on there.

If it's not like 3DS where you just reboot into it, the go back to stock at next reboot, (Like a tethered iPhone) I'll be fine with that. Go CFW, do what I want with it, go back to stock when I'm done.

Last edited by Selim873,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl