Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, you just got them all! You work really fast, it's amazing.
Well, almost all of the work went to kozarovv for this one. I did manage to extract and decrypt "POPS for Vita" (actual name for it, lol), but he created the scripts to extract all of these from the emulator. The script missed quite a bit of titles, so I just added them onto the list.

A few oddities I have noticed: Spyro and Motorhead do not have configs in here, and configs from EBOOT shouldn't be enabled, so no idea why those are in those packages. Armored Core: Project Phantasma seems to have a completely different config from the one you discovered in EBOOT.

There is quite a bit to uncover here, but it is really interesting. A lot of configs are changed up to ignore PSP SPU commands and instead use Vita-only SPU commands, as its emulation is different.

Reactions: The_Ho and Webardo

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Oh, you just got them all! You work really fast, it's amazing.
how about a little help sir?....for Hard Edge PAL..i converted it via Zapper it suffers some heavy slowdown and lag in some location and enemies... unlike FFV PAL i tested last evening... gameplay and battles runs fine and smooth...will config can fix the problem?....what do you think?...its kinda dissappointing that PAL has the title of JPN but was changed in USA... but JPN has a Japanese Voice for Michelle which makes even JPN more interesting...i dont know how or is it possible to change or swap some files inside the bin....

Reactions: The_Ho

Teddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for the hard work fixing all posible games, just wanted to recommend that in the case of Crash Team Racing/Crash Bandicoot Racing (NTSC/NTSC-J) it's better to use gameid SLPS-02122 to fix some slowdowns (it doesn't fix every slowdown but still it's very playable). I'll leave a video showing the normal behavior when running the psn version of ctr(adrenaline is still the same) vs original ps1 hardware running ctr:

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, almost all of the work went to kozarovv for this one. I did manage to extract and decrypt "POPS for Vita" (actual name for it, lol), but he created the scripts to extract all of these from the emulator. The script missed quite a bit of titles, so I just added them onto the list.
Of course, of course. I'm really thankful to Kozarovv too, he's done so much with the amount of effort put into all this study of POPS, same as you. :)

A few oddities I have noticed: Spyro and Motorhead do not have configs in here, and configs from EBOOT shouldn't be enabled, so no idea why those are in those packages. Armored Core: Project Phantasma seems to have a completely different config from the one you discovered in EBOOT.
Is it possible for the Spyro and Motorhead ones to be a remnant of them trying to make a config, but disabling it on purpose?
The Armored Core one needs to be updated based on the Vita's settings, seeing as the PSN release came out on 2007.
There is quite a bit to uncover here, but it is really interesting. A lot of configs are changed up to ignore PSP SPU commands and instead use Vita-only SPU commands, as its emulation is different.
Makes sense. Doesn't the PSP use the ME for sound emulation, which the Vita lacks?

how about a little help sir?....for Hard Edge PAL..i converted it via Zapper it suffers some heavy slowdown and lag in some location and enemies... unlike FFV PAL i tested last evening... gameplay and battles runs fine and smooth...will config can fix the problem?....what do you think?...its kinda dissappointing that PAL has the title of JPN but was changed in USA... but JPN has a Japanese Voice for Michelle which makes even JPN more interesting...i dont know how or is it possible to change or swap some files inside the bin....
I'm not sure about this, maybe it's due to messing the timings. Try this config for Hard Edge, although I can't assure you it'll fix the problems you have:
Code:
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 08 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 08 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00
00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF

Thanks for the hard work fixing all posible games, just wanted to recommend that in the case of Crash Team Racing/Crash Bandicoot Racing (NTSC/NTSC-J) it's better to use gameid SLPS-02122 to fix some slowdowns (it doesn't fix every slowdown but still it's very playable). I'll leave a video showing the normal behavior when running the psn version of ctr(adrenaline is still the same) vs original ps1 hardware running ctr:

Just make yourself a CTR eboot with pop-fe, and you should get the proper performance. Download the latest builds with fixes from here: https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe/actions

Last edited by Webardo,

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 08 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 08 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF
thanks for the help sir!!! im gonna try this later this evening and try to report for the results....
Post automatically merged:

i do have a PSN CTR on my PSP though i havent played well enough to see if there's really a slowdowns or lags... and on the video sir?just confirming..... Left is PSN CTR?... and then the right camera was CTR Disc on PS1?....

Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible for the Spyro and Motorhead ones to be a remnant of them trying to make a config, but disabling it on purpose?
The Armored Core one needs to be updated based on the Vita's settings, seeing as the PSN release came out on 2007.
Yeah, that seems plausible. I am really not sure. Especially because of how different the Armored Core config is.

Makes sense. Doesn't the PSP use the ME for sound emulation, which the Vita lacks?
Yup, exactly. So it seems like most SPU related settings are ignored and new commands were created for Vita.

Teddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just make yourself a CTR eboot with pop-fe, and you should get the proper performance. Download the latest builds with fixes from here: https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe/actions
Just tested it, works perfect, thanks! Tested 2 player mode and adventure mode select screen, where it lags the most and now it's working flawlessly.

i do have a PSN CTR on my PSP though i havent played well enough to see if there's really a slowdowns or lags... and on the video sir?just confirming..... Left is PSN CTR?... and then the right camera was CTR Disc on PS1?....
Yeah, left is a pstv playing the psn release of ctr and right is ctr disc on ps1, i dont know if the lag is present on psp, but on my pstv it lags exactly like the video, it's most noticeable on the adventure mode on the part where you have to select your character, and on the gameplay, for example a single lap in oxide station lags horribly on my pstv.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yup, exactly. So it seems like most SPU related settings are ignored and new commands were created for Vita.
Well, one that certainly isn't ignored by Vita is bit 9 of command -1. Crash Team Racing calls upon it in Vita's internal table; along with having command 0x1E added, and command 0x04 also has bit 9 enabled now.
So Vita's table is here to either modify previously added configs, or to add a few new configs.

And just checked, Klonoa has no european config because the PSN's european release is just SLUS-00585. It also has the config with the needed adress for command 0x11. Weird thing is, Klonoa only has one set of configs, with cfg2 not even enabled. Can't tell if that works though, because the revision is lower than it should, so it won't get detected on Vita by now.

Last edited by Webardo,

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
International SuperStar Soccer Deluxe: Setting corrects sound stuttering and minor intermittent slowdowns.
@ciarli-b

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it on a PSVita yet.

NOTE: This game gives me the impression that part of the lower screen is cut off, but when testing on emulators (Mednafen and Duckstation) it seems to be normal. :unsure:

CONFIG:
Code:
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 08 00 0A 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 04 00 01 00 FF FF FF FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 08 01 00 20
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 08 00 01 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF E2 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FF FF 04 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF

Last edited by The_Ho,

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
NOTE: This game gives me the impression that part of the lower screen is cut off, but when testing on emulators (Mednafen and Duckstation) it seems to be normal. :unsure:
If this game is PAL, it may look like the bottom is missing. It's just because of resolution differences.

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing the thread expand page by page everyday makes me so happy seriously. Thank you everyone for contributing !!

1698212962173.png

Curious question, for games like Harvest Moon - Back to Nature. Was a config made because it was lagging on the PSP/Vita? Because I was a bit surprised that a config was made for a game that isn't 'graphically intense' or would be susceptible to low framerate / lagging. Hope you understand my confusion.

Also, for the current configs added to POP-Fe, are they also applicable for Vita Adrenaline usage? Example: if Crash Team Racing (after config patch) runs well on the PSP, does that mean it can run the same for Vita as well? or does a separate Vita config patch needs to be made for the EBOOT?

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Curious question, for games like Harvest Moon - Back to Nature. Was a config made because it was lagging on the PSP/Vita? Because I was a bit surprised that a config was made for a game that isn't 'graphically intense' or would be susceptible to low framerate / lagging. Hope you understand my confusion.
I think it's to just slightly improve accuracy in cases like this. Many configs are just ports from these table: https://www.psdevwiki.com/psp/POPS#Internal_Compatibility_Flags
Or from the official eboots.

Also, for the current configs added to POP-Fe, are they also applicable for Vita Adrenaline usage? Example: if Crash Team Racing (after config patch) runs well on the PSP, does that mean it can run the same for Vita as well? or does a separate Vita config patch needs to be made for the EBOOT?
The configs from pop-fe should work on both PSP and Vita. No need to make different eboots for each. :)

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tested it, works perfect, thanks! Tested 2 player mode and adventure mode select screen, where it lags the most and now it's working flawlessly.

Yeah, left is a pstv playing the psn release of ctr and right is ctr disc on ps1, i dont know if the lag is present on psp, but on my pstv it lags exactly like the video, it's most noticeable on the adventure mode on the part where you have to select your character, and on the gameplay, for example a single lap in oxide station lags horribly on my pstv.
Did you manage to test Oxide station? Does it run smoothly on the pstv after the config patch?

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Seeing the thread expand page by page everyday makes me so happy seriously. Thank you everyone for contributing !!
100% It is great to see.

You can also contribute. I think it would be great if people tried these games with configs and playthrought them to the end and confirm that the games now work 100% from beginning all the way to the end. We need people to play the games and give a thumbs up.

By the way, does anyone know if Xenogears work on PSP? I usually only play on PS3 but can make an exception when it gets time to play it again and do it on PSP this time.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
100% It is great to see.

You can also contribute. I think it would be great if people tried these games with configs and playthrought them to the end and confirm that the games now work 100% from beginning all the way to the end. We need people to play the games and give a thumbs up.

By the way, does anyone know if Xenogears work on PSP? I usually only play on PS3 but can make an exception when it gets time to play it again and do it on PSP this time.
i do have Xenogears on my PSP and yeah it runs and now you mentioned it i do remember it also had some loading issues when going to another location though when in battle i think its fine sir...my save right now is at the city in the desert after the cave chapter..i think its the tournament and the next party is Rico...its my 2nd playthrough i kinda forgot the exact chapter of the story...maybe im gonna try the config that i tested on PE2 FFV NSTC and PAL which made them load faster....

Reactions: Webardo and The_Ho

ciarli-b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
International SuperStar Soccer Deluxe: Setting corrects sound stuttering and minor intermittent slowdowns.
@ciarli-b

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it on a PSVita yet.

CONFIG:

Code:
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 08 00 0A 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 04 00 01 00 FF FF FF FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 08 00 0A 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 04 00 01 00
Great! Fantastic my friend, thank you so much!

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And just checked, Klonoa has no european config because the PSN's european release is just SLUS-00585. It also has the config with the needed adress for command 0x11. Weird thing is, Klonoa only has one set of configs, with cfg2 not even enabled. Can't tell if that works though, because the revision is lower than it should, so it won't get detected on Vita by now.
Well, Vita has Klonoa SLUS in its internal table, so it is definitely enabled on Vita. Any config with a revision greater than or equal to 0x06070000 will trigger on PSP, but only configs greater than or equal to 0x06070070 will trigger on Vita. So it seems like this config should be triggered on PSP, and Vita has its own internal config triggered instead.

Well, one that certainly isn't ignored by Vita is bit 9 of command -1. Crash Team Racing calls upon it in Vita's internal table; along with having command 0x1E added, and command 0x04 also has bit 9 enabled now.
So Vita's table is here to either modify previously added configs, or to add a few new configs.
Interesting. Yeah, not too sure. It seems like bit 8 is at least ignored or not taken in as it is removed from Um Jammer Lammy’s config, but unsure of how it is handling other bits/commands. Potentially it has been repurposed in POPS for Vita.

Honestly, I am thinking a good way to deal with these EBOOT configs is just to submit them in their natural form. That way we know they are enabled and set properly, so like Klonoa’s submission will be a single config in this case. This is only for EBOOT configs that are already added to Vita (seems like they all are), but just thinking of a good solution for this.

Last edited by mrjaredbeta,

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks sir!!!! IDOL!!!!.... i already tested Alundra and its ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!...:grog::grog::grog::yay::yay::yay:

I'm glad it turned out well for you, good to see that you're also trying to create configs. thanks.
======================
@mrjaredbeta My fault, I really got the names mixed up, Shadow Master and Shadow Madness, in fact I checked your config it seems like there are no problems, we just need to play more with several save points, this game makes crazy use of changing discs and at the time it looks like this be the biggest problem, because it seems like there are times when nothing changes. Looking forward to starting the new configurations crossed with the Vita table mainly to discover why the Vita has better CDDA, better disc switching and FMV playback in some cases. But it seems like I saw something strange, games with the same configuration but that still act differently from one to the other, I think in this case it must be compatibility with the emulator itself (??) which doesn't depend on configurations.??

It's no problem though, don't worry about it. ;)

Thanks for your kindness @Webardo

Great! Fantastic my friend, thank you so much!
Thanks, hope it works well for you friend.

If this game is PAL, it may look like the bottom is missing. It's just because of resolution differences.

Yes, the game is PAL, I did some tests on an accurate emulator and it seems like this game is like that, but you can easily adjust it on Vita and PSP

100% It is great to see.

I got far in Digimon 2003 without any problems, some friends from the Romantic website are testing it for me, as it's a very long game it's difficult, but they reported several points and hours of play for me that so far without any problems. In fact, I finished the game Bugs Bunny LiT config @Webardo without any problems, I took advantage of the fact that the game is short and finished it again in the old mode also using pops 3.03. The config without a shadow of a doubt got the perfect answer for me

Last edited by The_Ho,

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Config for Shadow Madness to fix hang before ingame FMVs:
Code:
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 00 00 02 00 FF FF FF FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00 00 02 00
@OPPAI_DAISUKI You can try this one if you want, should fix only the hangs. Not sure if the game has any other issues.

@Webardo Yeah, that will probably fix it to be honest. Not the first time we have seen something like this from Sony, lol.
FINALLY!!! you have found the Secret Code sir!!! to unlock the games full potential.... THANKS SIR!!!.... :yay: :yay: :grog: :grog:

Of course, of course. I'm really thankful to Kozarovv too, he's done so much with the amount of effort put into all this study of POPS, same as you. :)

I'm not sure about this, maybe it's due to messing the timings. Try this config for Hard Edge, although I can't assure you it'll fix the problems you have:
Code:
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 08 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00 FF FF FF FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 08 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 02 00 10 00

Hi sir ive tested the config but the game still lags and the Health Bar suddenly dissappeared... BUT i found the code that fixes the game...
70 00 07 06 00 00 06 06 05 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF
EE 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
13 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00
FF FF FF FF EE 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FF FF FF FF 13 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
though im not perfect...but playing the game where the location of where it lags im surprised its GONE!!!....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1