Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ISSDeluxe (SLES-00511) Works perfectly with the UM JAMMER LAMMY config, on PSP and Vita.
If you verified it works perfectly and fixes issues, please send me a config and I will add it to pop-fe

EDIT: added. thanks!
Post automatically merged:

OK, correcting myself, the BD13 configuration works on X-Files PSP, but not in a normal way.

I will call BD13 Swap = (cmd 0xFF... with value 0x00800000)

It works differently in each game, so far from what I've been able to test with @wad11656's test:

1- There is no surprise here, when using BD13Swap and the game requests a disc change, the configuration works well and the change occurs at the requested time.

2- Here the game requests the exchange, but it may not work on the first attempt and it is necessary to insist on the exchange.

3- Here you must request a disc change before the game (this is the case with The X Files), when at the time of the change, before the change screen appears, press the PS/HOME key and request a disc change and it works.

Optimal is to have a config or a patch that makes BD13swap work normally.

If that is not possible but we can get BD13Swap to work by using a special procedure then what we can do is
1, create a config with BD13swap
2, create one or more 480x272 PNG with text that explains the procedure that the user need to do to get disc swap to work.

I know how to create SoftwareManual for PSP (but sadly not for PS3) so I can convert the PNG in 2 into a software manual
which will explain to the user how to get disk swap to work.
It is better than nothing.

Last edited by ronniesahlberg,

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you verified it works perfectly and fixes issues, please send me a config and I will add it to pop-fe

EDIT: added. thanks!

Optimal is to have a config or a patch that makes BD13swap work normally.

If that is not possible but we can get BD13Swap to work by using a special procedure then what we can do is
1, create a config with BD13swap
2, create one or more 480x272 PNG with text that explains the procedure that the user need to do to get disc swap to work.

I knowI just saw your edit about Swap now. I don't know if there is any other command capable of performing the exchange besides the one we know or if it is possible to improve it. A .DAT document, if I'm not mistaken, could be a good idea as something preliminary and thanks to the flexibility of editing, if something improves in the future, we can change it. how to create SoftwareManual for PSP (but sadly not for PS3) so I can convert the PNG in 2 into a software manual
which will explain to the user how to get disk swap to work.
It is better than nothing.
I just saw your edit about Swap now.

I don't know if there is any other command capable of performing the exchange besides the one we know or if it is possible to improve it.

A .DAT document, if I'm not mistaken, could be a good idea as something preliminary and thanks to the flexibility of editing, if something improves in the future, we can change it.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

I don't know if there is any other command capable of performing the exchange besides the one we know or if it is possible to improve it.

A .DAT document, if I'm not mistaken, could be a good idea as something preliminary and thanks to the flexibility of editing, if something improves in the future, we can change it.
my Parasite Eve 2 config different on pspdev so far worked fine and played it from Boss where you find Eve until the end... im gonna start again my New Game+ for the 5th time and test from Disc 1 to Disc 2... Reset from Disc to Disc seems fine and then check the FMV sequences and also the Change to Disc 2 after the Burner Boss going to Tunnel... im gonna speedrun this time to its gonna be tough to beat golems because i already made a save file and its in Bounty Mode... i also tested adding a config Chrono Cross that is different on pspdev...Battle Speed seems more fast and while looking at them (Serge/Kid/Other Character) as the camera spins seems more stable fast... Configs really helped a lot on PSX games to run/play more fluid and smoothly...im really thankful on you sirs.. @The_Ho and @Webardo.... so far if we still dont find any fix on NFS Hot PUrsuit bgm problem...maybe the last problematic games would be Fear Effect 1and 2...Disc Combining Kit doesnt work either... though im kinda curious about this on cdromance pops compatibility list... and then if its possible to use Zapper2k on PAL to make it NTSC...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
my Parasite Eve 2 config different on pspdev so far worked fine and played it from Boss where you find Eve until the end... im gonna start again my New Game+ for the 5th time and test from Disc 1 to Disc 2... Reset from Disc to Disc seems fine and then check the FMV sequences and also the Change to Disc 2 after the Burner Boss going to Tunnel... im gonna speedrun this time to its gonna be tough to beat golems because i already made a save file and its in Bounty Mode... i also tested adding a config Chrono Cross that is different on pspdev...Battle Speed seems more fast and while looking at them (Serge/Kid/Other Character) as the camera spins seems more stable fast... Configs really helped a lot on PSX games to run/play more fluid and smoothly...im really thankful on you sirs.. @The_Ho and @Webardo.... so far if we still dont find any fix on NFS Hot PUrsuit bgm problem...maybe the last problematic games would be Fear Effect 1and 2...Disc Combining Kit doesnt work either... though im kinda curious about this on cdromance pops compatibility list... and then if its possible to use Zapper2k on PAL to make it NTSC...
What are the issues in Parasite Eve 2 that the config fixes?

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I think there's another bit to try. Set cmd 0xFF to 0x00800000 and try it out.

About Chrono Cross, try beating the Mama Komodo. There's a possibility the game will hang with your custom config.

Also, about Parasite Eve 2, are you playing with disc speed on fast? If you are, try to set it to normal and use no config. Perhaps that was your problem with crashing all along. :lol:

What are the issues in Parasite Eve 2 that the config fixes?
@OPPAI_DAISUKI is making a config to simply make loading times faster, but unless a full playthrough is done with it, it isn't possible to tell if it's fine to use it. And besides, the game loads as fast as it does on PS1 I think, so this is going beyond what the game may expect.

Reactions: The_Ho

adrianbass360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patch for Sled Storm USA.

I believe that now you can play with a better speed in the game. Watch the video for comparison, the capture seems a little slower, I think it's some delay, don't mind my tragic ending lol... xD

View attachment 324375

Hi, is this patch still available? Seems to be gone from link and really want to play this game

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

About Chrono Cross, try beating the Mama Komodo. There's a possibility the game will hang with your custom config.

Also, about Parasite Eve 2, are you playing with disc speed on fast? If you are, try to set it to normal and use no config. Perhaps that was your problem with crashing all along. :lol:

@OPPAI_DAISUKI is making a config to simply make loading times faster, but unless a full playthrough is done with it, it isn't possible to tell if it's fine to use it. And besides, the game loads as fast as it does on PS1 I think, so this is going beyond what the game may expect.
about PE2 im playing it NORMAL settings...the problem is some parts of the game the Black Screen loading transition to another place it takes a long time to appear i found it on the sewers the ladder connected from Mojave to Shelter... even on FAST theres no change thats why i was surprised that a Config exists for PSP i thought it was just PS1 to PSP Eboot convertion and thats it...it not about crashing its about Faster loading transition from another place to another place... i already found the good numbers for the config and worked properly and beat the game with the config i made last week... i played from Boss No. 11 (TALL GUY) up to Eve because thats my current save after applying the config and then tested up to saving New Game+ Mode... FMV also played fine in the ending so now...im playing it again for the 5th Time Bounty Mode again...

for chrono cross...i already found the fix... on 0x0D on pspdev its 04 5E 1C 80 i tested mine right now at Mama Komodo using Original ID and it works,,tested a couple of resets,,,and even with CwCheats is enabled... works fine....i just wanted to find some speed stability to the game because sometimes when you are fighting...you can see some lags when they run in close to the enemies... specially im using Dynamic Camera...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    193 KB · Views: 13

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The same command in The Hive right?

If so, I also tested it and it doesn't work at all.

Interestingly, in Fear Effect 2 PSN the menu is very different from the common 6.61, containing printscreen and other things if I'm not mistaken, and when trying to delay the disc change by entering the menu and exiting, it seems that the change threatens to work, but still gives error...

In X-Files, if you try to delay the exchange without any correction, the same thing happens in a more detectable way, you will see that the Loading symbol X will appear, move for a while, but then the exchange fails in the same way.

@OPPAI_DAISUKI This tip from the old compatibility list doesn't work. I think I've already tested all possible POPs for exchange, unfortunately it didn't work.

Note: I haven't tried other POPs with other settings or GAMEIDs yet.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

Interestingly, in Fear Effect 2 PSN the menu is very different from the common 6.61, containing printscreen and other things if I'm not mistaken, and when trying to delay the disc change by entering the menu and exiting, it seems that the change threatens to work, but still gives error...

In X-Files, if you try to delay the exchange without any correction, the same thing happens in a more detectable way, you will see that the Loading symbol X will appear, move for a while, but then the exchange fails in the same way.

@OPPAI_DAISUKI This tip from the old compatibility list doesn't work. I think I've already tested all possible POPs for exchange, unfortunately it didn't work.

i tested last night Fear Effect PAL converted to Zapper2K and then load pops 5.00 and set M33 in recovery its still doesnt work... i dont know how did he manage to make the game run like that..

i tested last night Fear Effect PAL converted to Zapper2K and then load pops 5.00 and set M33 in recovery its still doesnt work... i dont know how did he manage to make the game run like that..
How about SetRegion for Fear Effect 1?... i can try this today i have 3 days off.... i can test Disc 1 and 2 they are the at least the discs needed.... the only painful part is testing 20+ game ids...hahahahah

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
about PE2 im playing it NORMAL settings...the problem is some parts of the game the Black Screen loading transition to another place it takes a long time to appear i found it on the sewers the ladder connected from Mojave to Shelter... even on FAST theres no change thats why i was surprised that a Config exists for PSP i thought it was just PS1 to PSP Eboot convertion and thats it...it not about crashing its about Faster loading transition from another place to another place... i already found the good numbers for the config and worked properly and beat the game with the config i made last week... i played from Boss No. 11 (TALL GUY) up to Eve because thats my current save after applying the config and then tested up to saving New Game+ Mode... FMV also played fine in the ending so now...im playing it again for the 5th Time Bounty Mode again...
I think the reason loading times didn't change was because the default config from the table impedes any change to the disc speed, so swapping between normal and fast made no difference. But the thing is, weren't you having crashes before trying your own config?

Yeah, I think it's the same as the one for the Hive. Anyway, that screenshot setting is quite rare on games outside of japan. The only other game I know of that has the setting regardless of region is Klonoa, which makes me wonder what specific thing is in the eboot to trigger it.

Command 0x0E may help, I'm not sure. Colony Wars - Vengeance had a similar issue, it feinted to load, but never got any data from the disc. In fact, it spent so long without reading anything that the setting to change disc got enabled (I used a random game as a second disc to check if it was reading any data) after a minute of "loading" haha.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I think the reason loading times didn't change was because the default config from the table impedes any change to the disc speed, so swapping between normal and fast made no difference. But the thing is, weren't you having crashes before trying your own config?
yeah that was before..im completely idiot...and after that mistake i tried to understand how to create the configs and at least try to put them together and then luckily i found the right ones for PE2... i even luckily found the right ones for Crusaders of Might and Magic hahahaha.. LUCKY ME!!!... but man this game is kinda hard.... if your magic hits you its already 1 Hit K-O...

i already found the fix... on 0x0D on pspdev its 04 5E 1C 80 i tested mine right now at Mama Komodo using Original ID and it works,,tested a couple of resets,,,and even with CwCheats is enabled... works fine...

hi sir!!! @The_Ho ive tested some game ids but nah its negative...its kinda tiring also.... sigh....

Reactions: Webardo and The_Ho

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In the battle of changing disks I came across something curious, it seems to me that SLPS-01222 and SLES-00972 do not use the same commands exactly as mentioned, there may be an explanation for this or something related to POPsLoader.

Game I used to test Final Fantasy IX, switching discs for this game may not seem to matter, as it saves at the end of each disc before switching and the next disc can be loaded by loading. Even so, the test on it I think is valid.

Test:

- FFIX + SLPS01222 + 6.61 = Game does not change discs.

- FFIX + SLPS01222 + POPs 6.39 = Game does not change discs.

- FFIX + SLES00972 + 6.61 = Game does not change discs.

-FFIX + SLES00972 + POPs 6.39 = Game disc swap.

If SLES-00972 and SLPS-01222 share the same commands I think this should not happen, even though the internal commands are based on 6.61, notice that in 6.39 the IDs act differently.

The two IDs increase the game's performance by 6.61 and the two IDs lose this performance by 6.39, but SLES-00972 in 6.39 can perform disk swapping and SLPS-01222 cannot.

I noticed that something strange also occurs in Valkyrie Profile: Usanso SLPS-01222 the game seems to be slower and at some point I may have had a crash when I played a while ago.

As for Valkyrie in 6.61 with SLES-00972 I managed to finish the game, I remember the performance being better and I just used POPs 6.39 to get past Yumei, the rest of the game went well until Seraphic gate and the end.

I know we use cmd-based fixes today, but these IDs actually don't seem identical to me.

All tests carried out only on PSP, as PSVita has a better Swap Disc.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In the battle of changing disks I came across something curious, it seems to me that SLPS-01222 and SLES-00972 do not use the same commands exactly as mentioned, there may be an explanation for this or something related to POPsLoader.

Game I used to test Final Fantasy IX, switching discs for this game may not seem to matter, as it saves at the end of each disc before switching and the next disc can be loaded by loading. Even so, the test on it I think is valid.

Test:

If SLES-00972 and SLPS-01222 share the same commands I think this should not happen, even though the internal commands are based on 6.61, notice that in 6.39 the IDs act differently.

The two IDs increase the game's performance by 6.61 and the two IDs lose this performance by 6.39, but SLES-00972 in 6.39 can perform disk swapping and SLPS-01222 cannot.

I noticed that something strange also occurs in Valkyrie Profile: Usanso SLPS-01222 the game seems to be slower and at some point I may have had a crash when I played a while ago.

As for Valkyrie in 6.61 with SLES-00972 I managed to finish the game, I remember the performance being better and I just used POPs 6.39 to get past Yumei, the rest of the game went well until Seraphic gate and the end.

I know we use cmd-based fixes today, but these IDs actually don't seem identical to me.

Makes sense though, because the configs we have are from 6.61, so we don't know what they are like on older firmwares. Some commands differ in what they do too depending on fw. It's very well possible that RE2 had a different config on 6.39.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies for my absence, I’ve been busy with stuff and recently have been sick.

@The_Ho I would advise you to try X-Files with In Cold Blood’s config. It should enable disc swap at virtually all times in cases when The Hive’s config doesn’t. If that doesn’t work, there is yet another bit that might need to be enabled, but I can’t remember right now. It’s been a while.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

Test:

ok if im gonna try this to fear effect im gonna use SLES00972 for Disc 1 GAME ID and MAIN GAME ID section i also tested SLPS01222 yesterday but its negative...and some other ids available that looked like a ids for multiple disks... similar first digits but different on the last digits...

EDIT: nah... still doesnt work... though this is ive done... setregion PAL for Disc 1 and 2 and then change to SLES00972 and SLES01056... if i used both disc as SLES00972 it will not trigger a Swap Disk and it will only ask for a reset to change disc...but not in the middle...my testing was... when booting the game... reset to Disc 2 and then when you try New Game while in Disc 2 it will ask to change the disc to Disc 1...

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi Sirs!!! @Webardo @The_Ho and others...has anyone here played TOCA 2 Touring Cars on PSP?... does the game really had some graphical issues?... (BOTTOM and BELOW) tested both EUR/PAL and NTSC its still the same... i tried Set Region (used EU and JPN) for possible fix (SLPS01222) but nah its still the same...i even used TOCA 1's game ID but its still the same...how about configs?...is there a config for graphics related?...or somewhere around there?... i also tested RC de Go's config to RC Revenge it also played fine and made the gameplay of race run smoothly... anyway Thanks Sirs!!!....

ciarli-b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thinking for a way to fix the formula one games (that in europe are protected by libcrypt), yesterday I saw in retroarch that in order to make these games playable on pcsx rearmed core, it needs to activate the "instruction cache emulation" in the core option.
Is there a way to trigger this option also in the eboot configuration so that the formula one games will not stuck in the beginning?

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thinking for a way to fix the formula one games (that in europe are protected by libcrypt), yesterday I saw in retroarch that in order to make these games playable on pcsx rearmed core, it needs to activate the "instruction cache emulation" in the core option.
Is there a way to trigger this option also in the eboot configuration so that the formula one games will not stuck in the beginning?
What is the issue when you convert them with pop-fe?
Libcrypt should not be an issue as sony's emulator already has mechanisms in place to deal with libcrypt and we inject these automatically to deal with libcrypt if you use pop-fe

ciarli-b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What is the issue when you convert them with pop-fe?
Libcrypt should not be an issue as sony's emulator already has mechanisms in place to deal with libcrypt and we inject these automatically to deal with libcrypt if you use pop-fe
I didn't try to convert it with popfe, but I tried several times to convert it with psx2psp (applying the ppf patch before). The game starts, but it stucks with a black screen after some stoplights are shown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3