Hacking Portrait of Ruin

Firemonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just kind of curious, did anyone get Portrait of Ruin to work with their SC2 using patched mode? It works for me until I to access the start menu. Once I try, I get a pure black screen on the bottom one, but the music still plays... It works in clean mode, but just wondering if someone got it to work in patched mode.

Firemonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't patch it, but I remember having to change a couple bytes here and there with a hex editor to get it to work on my R4...

Firemonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, just loaded up a different version of the game and looks like it works fine for now.

Edit: Er actually it just froze on me, from just walking. I'll try it again.

Edit2: And so I freeze again with the start menu. Not too sure what's with this game...

Firemonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With persistence, I managed to get to the first painting. Not too sure what causes the freezing. Oh well. Still playable.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the USA one was working just fine for me but I haven't pushed it very far. Just into the game playing mode and such.

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah i know what the problem is proly, i got this too when the game was just released..

i had a M3 lite perfect and an SD card of the brand uh.. sandisc i think.
and when i played teh game, i would random freese at parts when you like, switch from screen to screen or press ''talk'' option when you pause the game.

Turned out the problem is the SD card brand when you use certain flash cards... i know Kingston cards would work, but they had to be 1 GB in size, not bigger if i remember correctly...

though this problem doesnt exist on lots of cards brought out today such as acekart and a few others..

So short awnser, your SD card is too slow in reading and writing, pick up a faster one.

jos7960

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
alphajaehoon said:
Turned out the problem is the SD card brand when you use certain flash cards... i know Kingston cards would work, but they had to be 1 GB in size, not bigger if i remember correctly...

Not really true.

I struggled a lot with this game. It turns out that not even all 1GB card play the game correctly. It's a bit of an hit and miss game.
I could tell you about all my attempts with different storage capacity and classes but I recommend you get a microSD from Dealextreme.
Apparently cards from that region are different than the cards you buy here.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396
This one has never failed to play the game correctly, and i bought quite a few of them.
It will take a long time to get to your house but it's worth the wait.

You can also choose to patch the game to remove some music. Supposedly that helps with the freezing on slower cards.

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
#5661 said:
Firemonkey said:
Eh. I guess that could be the problem. i got a 4 gb Kingston card from shoptemp with my SC2, which could be the problem.
I also have the 4GB Kingston SDHC card (class 4), and I have no problems playing the game.
Sounds like we have the same SD card.
I don't think the SD card is the problem at all.

My mistake it wasnt the 1GB cap of kingston, it was 2GB cap that would work.

anyhoo what kind of flash card are you using then? i have a diffrent HDSD card too, but the Acekart fix the random blackout issue, just for old flash cards you need a kignston 2GB one ^-^

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
#5661 said:
He said he was using a 4GB Kingston one from ShopTemp so I'm guessing it's the same as mine (a 4GB Kingston one from ShopTemp). Portrait of Ruin works fine for me which leads me to think the problem doesn't lie with his SD card. Unless he received a cockup or fake, which is possible (as stated by Costello). However, if it is fake, ShopTemp will refund you.

Misunderstood probably by my blunt way of explaining, the brand or type of sd card does NOT matter on a newer type of NDSFlashcard, just for older models it matters, i think m3 and r4 and ssd card or whatever its called have that problem with the card being to slow, but cards that came out recently like Acekart and all the newer models it does NOT matter what Micro SD card you use because all newer NDS-flash cards have a fast reading something in it xD

sooo i repeat the brand of sd card only matters on OLD NDS-flash cards.. on newer it does not matter, hence why his 4GB kingston also works

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
^ This is not entirely true. I have an R4 SDHC and Acekard 2i, and both carts have slowdowns in certain games with the same micro SD card. Mostly Metal Slug 7, ACWW and Nanostray. And Castlevania PoR used to freeze on both. However AKAIO 1.5 has introduced a special patch which fixed the freezes altogether on PoR, so I could play and finish the game. I'm not sure if Team SC have included this patch into their kernel, but it would seem they didn't. That's really bad for such an advanced flashcart.

Firemonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh... then I really can't figure out the cause. I'll probably just end up sucking it up and just deal with the freezing. Save state almost every other min or so...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...