Homebrew Possibility of pseudo eshop?

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like the best option would be to have a bittorrent client for the 3DS. There are a number of existing torrent trackers that can be used without any draw from us. And if that tracker dies, we can migrate.

With an established tracker, people would also have the option of downloading and seeding through their PC. Piracy and non-piracy would be up to the uploaders.

The big questions are, is anybody willing to make one and what tracker to hijack?

Reactions: rondoh70

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It seems like the best option would be to have a bittorrent client for the 3DS. There are a number of existing torrent trackers that can be used without any draw from us. And if that tracker dies, we can migrate.

With an established tracker, people would also have the option of downloading and seeding through their PC. Piracy and non-piracy would be up to the uploaders.

The big questions are, is anybody willing to make one and what tracker to hijack?
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhhhehehheh...

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem is this is highly illegal, and you'd have to host your downloads on someone else's servers. I

A torrent protocol on the system isn't such a bad idea, but it would surely be hell downloading a game at 0.1kbps because there are no seeders and the 3DS has a really cheap wifi chip in it which limits speeds severely.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The biggest problem is this is highly illegal, and you'd have to host your downloads on someone else's servers. I

A torrent protocol on the system isn't such a bad idea, but it would surely be hell downloading a game at 0.1kbps because there are no seeders and the 3DS has a really cheap wifi chip in it which limits speeds severely.
XD so true

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's what I heard. Sorry if I'm wrong, but Pirate Bay stays up for that reason.
I'm surprised that Pirate Bay's been online for a long time. It's had it's down moments, but yeah.

The Pirate Bay has been on the spotlight since it became mainstream ages ago. The reason it's up isn't because you think Sweden has weak copyright laws (it infact has very strong ones, most European countries do), and they actually haven't broken the law. If they had, surely those court cases would've had different results, wouldn't they? :wink::wink:

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as we piggyback off a normal tracker, people will be able to download on their computers(and seed from them) as an alternative to using the 3ds client.

While we're going to have shitty upload, remember that the likelyhood of only having a couple leechers at a time is pretty high too. Hopefully it would balance out.

I'd like the service to be able to distribute anything, not just .cias. Themes, Badges, .3dsx homebrew, NTR patches, and save games would be nice as well.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As long as we piggyback off a normal tracker, people will be able to download on their computers(and seed from them) as an alternative to using the 3ds client.

While we're going to have shitty upload, remember that the likelyhood of only having a couple leechers at a time is pretty high too. Hopefully it would balance out.

I'd like the service to be able to distribute anything, not just .cias. Themes, Badges, .3dsx homebrew, NTR patches, and save games would be nice as well.
so like Pirate bay of homebrew (still want Pirate Brew)

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so like Pirate bay of homebrew (still want Pirate Brew)
First things first, we'd need a working bittorrent client. I have absolutely no idea how hard that would be to code.

Then things like browsers and trackers can be worked on. I'd expect we'd just create a tag on the pirate bay or kickass since I doubt anybody wants to set up or manage a tracker.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Also understand that downloading these things would take a ridiculous amount of time. Even if someone somehow programmed a bittorrent client for the 3DS it would still suck because the seeder - leecher ratio would be huge considering how slow the 3DS wifi is (not to mention the probable inefficiency of a non-profesionally developed bittorrent client) and considering that no one would seed from their 3DS. Anyone with half a brain would just download it with an actual bittorrent client on a PC and transfer it over, which would be about 10x faster than the 3DS.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well that's what I heard. Sorry if I'm wrong, but Pirate Bay stays up for that reason.
*facepalm* Piratebay still exists only because they don't host ANY files. If they hosted even ONE copyrighted song on their servers they would be long gone. All they store is hashes for torrents, that's it.
This idea here however would require storing files, so that's illegal immediately and would be taken down immediately, no matter where you host it.

mungry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There will NEVER be a sustainable online .cia installer platform on the 3DS, ever.

1. Hosting (money)
2. Maintaining (time)
3. Download speed (inefficiency)

Not to mention that creating the interface would be a lot of work in itself.
If you're going to pirate you will just have to deal with the good ol' fashioned way. Believe me, I'm not being pessimistic here, it's just not feasible in anyway. Anybody would LOVE something like this.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also understand that downloading these things would take a ridiculous amount of time. Even if someone somehow programmed a bittorrent client for the 3DS it would still suck because the seeder - leecher ratio would be huge considering how slow the 3DS wifi is (not to mention the probable inefficiency of a non-profesionally developed bittorrent client) and considering that no one would seed from their 3DS. Anyone with half a brain would just download it with an actual bittorrent client on a PC and transfer it over, which would be about 10x faster than the 3DS.
I disagree about the seeder/leecher ratio being inflated. As long as we allow PCs to leech:seed, then early downloads would be taken care of by PC users and late downloads would likely have a stable 10:1 for a reasonable down speed.

The weak wifi chip will only hinder the max bandwidth, not reduce the speed proportionally. We should be able to get near-FTP download speeds.

The SD card is just going to die in no time... people don't understand the I/O limitations
I don't think you understand the I/O limitations. SD cards are good for thousands of read/write cycles. That means a 4 GB SD card is good for read/writing at *least* 4000 gigs. Later cards can be good for 100,000. Meaning 400,000 GB.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like it would be possible, but it would require alot of commitment from both ends (people willing to be committed to keep and maintain servers, and people willing to put up with the limitations of the 3ds).

good luck finding someone like that.

Reactions: Arseface_TM

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I don't think you understand the I/O limitations. SD cards are good for thousands of read/write cycles. That means a 4 GB SD card is good for read/writing at *least* 4000 gigs. Later cards can be good for 100,000. Meaning 400,000 GB.

Why don't you try it with your own SD card, torrent some stuff on PC and report back? Chances are you wouldn't

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you try it with your own SD card, torrent some stuff on PC and report back? Chances are you wouldn't
I've run torrents on flash memory plenty of times. No issues. Just because the writes are segmented doesn't mean it's any more destructive to the system than normal file transfers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious