Hacking Possible to play ps4 games that need disc without any disc?

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again! I am thinking about deleting all my ps4 games that are on disc... because they need storage like a simple downloaded file ... for example the last of us needs nearly 50gb of internal storage why? i mean what is the purpose of a f#@$*** disc? i guess to save storage...or am i wrong? :(

sooo is it possible to play installed games that got installed from disc.. without any disc ... without deinstalling i mean.. because i know the method of ripping the discs off... sure.
but i mean i dont want to rip everything it would take ages ...
any ideas or solutions?

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The size of a game is what it is either installed from pkg file or original disc.
When you install a game from disc the whole game file (app.pkg) gets copied from the disc to the ps4.

When you play a disc game the ps4 uses the game app.pkg that is on the ps4 probably because the read speeds from the disc would be too slow.
The disc needs to be inserted to check that you own the game, the game itself is not run from the disc.

example:
ON PS4 : user\app\CUSA03952\app.pkg [md5=A8EA26AC08478906A6DEF909EADEE6F2]
ON DISC : mnt\disc\app\CUSA03952\app.pkg [md5=A8EA26AC08478906A6DEF909EADEE6F2]

Maybe a possible way to reduce the size of a game would be to rip the game and remove unused language files or video files but I don't know if this can be done.

EDIT: Something interesting I've just found is that when a game is started the app.pkg is decrypted into its seperate game files in:
\mnt\sandbox\CUSAXXXX_000\:)

Last edited by Leeful,
Reactions: KiiWii and dgr1592

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Something interesting I've just found is that when a game is started the app.pkg is decrypted into its seperate game files in:
\mnt\sandbox\CUSAXXXX_000\:)
I believe this is how we dump the games. The files are ripped from sandbox, then repackaged and fake signed.

Reactions: Leeful

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so actually it should work with HEN or else that we cqn play the games without any disc inserted?
or am i wrong?
i mean... for me PS4 games on disc are useless... this sucks

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so actually it should work with HEN or else that we cqn play the games without any disc inserted?
or am i wrong?
i mean... for me PS4 games on disc are useless... this sucks
As far as I know at the moment it dosnt work like that.
Installing a game from disk is just the same as installing a downloaded official pkg file.
For the games to work they must be fake signed and to do that they must be dumped and then re-packaged as a fake signed .pkg.

Hopefully in the future there will be a way to fake sign already installed disc games then the disc would not be needed anymore.

Another thing to take into consideration regarding the installed size of a game are the game updates. If you install a game update that is 4gb, then that is another 4gb of space taken up on the PS4 HDD because the game updates are kept as they are as 'patch.pkg', they do not overwrite any files to save space.

Last edited by Leeful,
Reactions: Bernhard

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know at the moment it dosnt work like that.
Installing a game from disk is just the same as installing a downloaded official pkg file.
For the games to work they must be fake signed and to do that they must be dumped and then re-packaged as a fake signed .pkg.

Hopefully in the future there will be a way to fake sign already installed disc games then the disc would not be needed anymore.

Another thing to take into consideration regarding the installed size of a game are the game updates. If you install a game update that is 4gb, then that is another 4gb of space taken up on the PS4 HDD because the game updates are kept as they are as 'patch.pkg', they do not overwrite any files to save space.
ok lets hope for the ticket/fake sign method to come up in the near future ^^
thank you for clearing it up for me mate!

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why don't you just download the FakePKG and install that. It will overwrite the package that was installed from the disc (as long as you get the same CUSAXXXXX game). Then you won't need the disc at all.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just download the FakePKG and install that. It will overwrite the package that was installed from the disc (as long as you get the same CUSAXXXXX game). Then you won't need the disc at all.
cuz it need a lot of time...
maybe i do the rip myself... i guess thats the best thing to do.
dont ya?

Reactions: dgr1592

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cuz it need a lot of time...
maybe i do the rip myself... i guess thats the best thing to do.
dont ya?
Oh a long time to download? Yeah that's true and dependent on your connection and data cap.

Not sure how long it takes to rip a game? But apparently it's pretty easy to do.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh a long time to download? Yeah that's true and dependent on your connection and data cap.

Not sure how long it takes to rip a game? But apparently it's pretty easy to do.
a really long download for sure .-.
cuz my downloadspeed is crap.
is it really that easy? i mean that would be great if it was...tbh ^^

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dont really want to rip those games, then you just gonna have to download the fpkg of those games that was already compiled by other, to be honest it is much faster to download other people fpkg, as compare to ripping a game, then building it as a fpkg.

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you dont really want to rip those games, then you just gonna have to download the fpkg of those games that was already compiled by other, to be honest it is much faster to download other people fpkg, as compare to ripping a game, then building it as a fpkg.
Unless you have slow internet and/or a data cap. I live out in the middle of nowhere Canada, and although the speed and data have improved over the last year, it wasn't like that before. I still use another computer hooked up at another location on unlimited data and faster speeds to get my stuff (mail hdds back and forth lol).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dumping games doesn't really take that long. the more files = the longer it takes. I think two games that seemed to take a while to dump were bloodborne and final fantasy x hd remastered. it took maybe an hour to dump each game. then, a little time to create its gp4. creating and installing a pkg that large takes about another hour (ff x hd remastered was almost 50GBs).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2