Homebrew Possible to run Android on 3Ds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd just be happy if the homebrew launcher wouldn't spam the screens with DOS-style text and flashing rainbow screens unless there was an issue getting to the menu. Then I could see the colored screens and text helping assist in troubleshooting. Or at least build in a config file to just keep the screens black while the exploit is executed...

Reactions: plug313 and NoNAND

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Android has only one thing I would like to see on 3ds: Clash of Clans
why would you want to play a game that restricts how long the user can play based on how much money they spend on it per day? thats the whole reason i got a 3ds, to get away from portable games like those.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can literally head down to the local phone shop and get a shit phone for £10 and go use Android 4.4 on that. (It's good for the price if you dont already have a phone, but I do :3)

Reactions: NoNAND

VaiCorinthians

Trophies
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
why would you want to play a game that restricts how long the user can play based on how much money they spend on it per day? thats the whole reason i got a 3ds, to get away from portable games like those.
I never spend money to play it. '-' It is a casual game.
3DS have many games pay to win / freemium and whats the problem? You dont need play it..
Pokemon Shuffle, Rumble World etc.. etc.. -_-

Reactions: RyanCoolReal96

RyanCoolReal96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running Android on a 3DS is as likely as running Windows 10 on an Apple II.
Android 5.1 already requires 512 MB RAM, even the New 3DS (128 MB usable RAM, 256 MB total RAM) doesn't meet this requirement!
Then I guess I don't need to explain the other specs anymore, right?
I said very old versions of Android like the first version

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd just be happy if the homebrew launcher wouldn't spam the screens with DOS-style text and flashing rainbow screens unless there was an issue getting to the menu. Then I could see the colored screens and text helping assist in troubleshooting. Or at least build in a config file to just keep the screens black while the exploit is executed...

http://ihaveamac.github.io/ninjhax2.x/

Rainbow garbage that displays when entering the actual launcher is probably unavoidable though. But the debug screens and the status "colours" can be disabled.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never spend money to play it. '-' It is a casual game.
3DS have many games pay to win / freemium and whats the problem? You dont need play it..
Pokemon Shuffle, Rumble World etc.. etc.. -_-
yea but on 3ds we at least have hackable save files to alleviate those features
and i'm no casual...

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone here is missing the main issue here and that's the stagefright exploit found in nearly every version from Lollipop and down. This applies to those shit tier bargain phones as well since the OEM typically abandons them right after release. Now, there are ways to circumvent the stagefright exploit (don't use the vanilla SMS app, don't automatically accept MMS messages, use a properly maintained browser, etc.), but a lot of people are ignorant to its existence and won't pursue preventative measures. Also, fun fact: stagefright is what is behind browserhax. It affects a multitude of devices that use the vulnerable versions of the library.

Last edited by Joom,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I think everyone here is missing the main issue here and that's the stagefright exploit found in nearly every version from Lollipop and down. This applies to those shit tier bargain phones as well since the OEM typically abandons them right after release. Now, there are ways to circumvent the stagefright exploit (don't use the vanilla SMS app, don't automatically accept MMS messages, use a properly maintained browser, etc.), but a lot of people are ignorant to its existence and won't pursue preventative measures. Also, fun fact: stagefright is what is behind browserhax. It affects a multitude of devices that use the library.
What does libstagefright have to do with anything?
This is to discuss the feasability of running Android in the 3DS. IMHO it won't run very nicely, it's got barely enough RAM to contain a modified build of AOSP from 2.x times, and the boot times will be horrendous because of the slow IO and no GPU drivers.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
What does libstagefright have to do with anything?
This is to discuss the feasability of running Android in the 3DS. IMHO it won't run very nicely, it's got barely enough RAM to contain a modified build of AOSP from 2.x times, and the boot times will be horrendous because of the slow IO and no GPU drivers.
I'm more directing that at the fact that everyone is talking about using incredibly old versions of Android for the 3DS and on bargain phones. Sorry for the lack of clarification. I'm incredibly tired. I figured it would be rather implied due to me mentioning the affected versions.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Wolfvak

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think people need to understand the difference between whether something is "possible" or whether it is "feasable/worth it"

Well...in this case it's both possible and probably feasible, but absolutely NOT worth it. It's one of those things that would be cool as a proof of concept, but would suck (at best) for actually using it. Much like Windows 95/98 on n3ds (I realize it's running through an emulation layer, but the end result would likely be the same - something cool to show off to people, but absolutely not practical).

Reactions: TimX24968B

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: DrakeLyon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2