1691644418371.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the last few days it sure is hard to keep quiet here.
…And yet she seems to know printed paper books instead of reading with DRM infected Kindle (or similar). Consistency?

Unfortunately I can't fully dismiss the underlying problem (though it is VERY much too early right now). Not owning anything, this includes paper books, is praised as a bright future. When not having any media this effectively eradicates the past. Better say: It makes the past manipulable. Very serious problem way beyond the overused "Feel old! I said thou shalt feel old!!"-pattern. If we aren't careful… knowledge might become dust [YouTube, The Time Machine]

It should be part of education an upbringing at least knowing the most common media of the past, which DVD are not (yet), since they are still in production and for sale in not low number. When in 2020 a nine year old girl asked me "What is Tetris?" after I mentioned it casually while talking, I took the opportunity to show her not only the Game Boy game, but also media. Floppy disks (including 8" version), Music Cassettes, VHS, Vinyl Records as well as newer stuff such as Mini Disc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what 2006-2007 for the PS3 to launch plus a few years if this is a blu ray takeover (arguably never happened)
https://www.engadget.com/2010-10-18...e-clunky-disc-requirement-starts-streami.html so pretty much netflix (and then only netflix, will have to look to when I saw people whining things were starting to be exclusive to Amazon or something).

Belgium might be imaginary though
video-market-belgium.png

dvdsalesbyyear.png

Seems a plausible scenario.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-continue-to-nosedive
Reckons $3.29 billion in 2019, $2.45 billion in 2020 and $1.97 billion in 2021 if that is to be continued (not sure if indeed a massive drop or something somewhere is wrong). (PS2 aka when most people started DVDs was 2000, and late 2000 at that for most people).

…And yet she seems to know printed paper books instead of reading with DRM infected Kindle (or similar). Consistency?
Paper books will probably be seen in schools for a while yet -- hard to keep fingers on earlier pages or flick back and forth for a tablet or nasty little chromebook (or laptop if schools continue to ditch Google as they have been doing).
Also as far as Tetris has there been a good one since the DS? Possibly even the original DS one (not the greatest fan of Party, would be entirely forgivable to not know about the wonders of the homebrew Tetris Grand Masters and Lockjaw)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't know what it's like where you live, but around here bookstores are thriving. Contrary to boomer memes on facebook, "youths" these days read quite a lot, and buy paper books.

Unfortunately I can't fully dismiss the underlying problem (though it is VERY much too early right now). Not owning anything, this includes paper books, is praised as a bright future.
A ton of shows never get a physical release these days and are impossible to acquire legally if the streaming service offering them decides to drop them.
It's more profitable to keep movies and shows exclusive to a streaming platform and not give people any other options.

Which is one more reason "kids these days" wouldn't know what a DVD is, along with the fact Blu-Ray came out 15 years ago and is the leading video storage medium, while music is on CDs. With the recent revival, kids are more likely to have seen vinyl records than DVDs, in their lifetime.

I feel like I have to explain this every few weeks, but I don't fault "kids these days" for now being familiar with something they were never exposed to, because it came and went before their time. Would you scoff at someone for not knowing what a Zip drive was? Why?

1691655054142.png

But the fact an entire technology has been and gone, and gone for so long that an entire generation grew up never having seen it does make one acutely aware of the passage of time.

And now for something completely different.

1691655606884.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would you scoff at someone for not knowing what a Zip drive was? Why?
I would not scoff at anybody for not knowing something, whatever the subject may be. Why!? Please do not assume things. I never said this. I'm criticizing the picture, not the comic person (representing a future real person) shown there. That is in addition to overused patterns like "Feel old yet?" generally make me cringe and facepalm in the first place. So… full disclosure: Admittedly I'm biased just because of the pattern.

If in ten years a young adult doesn't recognize a CD/DVD/BD the education is to blame, not the individual person. I'm not remotely old enough to ever have worked with punchcards. But we have been shown some in school! I wouldn't call not knowing things like "VideoNow", "Iomega REV", "DDS" or a "Quadruplex videotape" problematic. There are literally more obscure formats than one can plausibly know – unless very interested and actively studying the topic. But not knowing the formally leading, almost a monopoly, medium for video distribution before widespread fast internet is a gap in education in my opinion.

Contrary to boomer memes on facebook, "youths" these days read quite a lot, and buy paper books.
Paper books are important and will hopefully stay forever! Good to know your area/country/city is not dumbed down! (No sarcasm!!)
Are there any "What is Facebook?"-memes? That would indeed be interesting to know as it seems less people are interested in checking this platform everyday. Hope Twitter is next to shrink into the unimportant.
I have no ideas about "boomer memes" – whatever these are – and I never had an account on Facebook anyway.
Reducing oneself's expressions to a concise picture/comic/meme may be a form of art and an intelligent way of starting a discussion sometimes. Other times it is rather not so intelligent and will not take subtleties and connected topics in account. I tend to the second alternative with the given picture.

I don't know what it's like where you live
I live in Getting-dumb-istan, formally known as Germany. A lot of local book stores gave up in the last few years (blaming Amazon of course, what else?).

It's more profitable to keep movies and shows exclusive to a streaming platform and not give people any other options.
There is an alternative. No, not piracy. No physical release → no interest → no money. Riding the bicycle instead of streaming. Keep your content locked behind Widevine (or whatever) and have a nice day.
Entertainment content is a luxury good (no matter if physical or digital distribution). Theoretically customers make the rules, not companies. Well, since most people chose to go the way suggested by companies… Too bad. Ultimately good for my wallet.

Badda

me too
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
I would not scoff at anybody for not knowing something, whatever the subject may be. Why!? Please do not assume things. I never said this. I'm criticizing the picture, not the comic person (representing a future real person) shown there. That is in addition to overused patterns like "Feel old yet?" generally make me cringe and facepalm in the first place. So… full disclosure: Admittedly I'm biased just because of the pattern.

If in ten years a young adult doesn't recognize a CD/DVD/BD the education is to blame, not the individual person. I'm not remotely old enough to ever have worked with punchcards. But we have been shown some in school! I wouldn't call not knowing things like "VideoNow", "Iomega REV", "DDS" or a "Quadruplex videotape" problematic. There are literally more obscure formats than one can plausibly know – unless very interested and actively studying the topic. But not knowing the formally leading, almost a monopoly, medium for video distribution before widespread fast internet is a gap in education in my opinion.

Paper books are important and will hopefully stay forever! Good to know your area/country/city is not dumbed down! (No sarcasm!!)
Are there any "What is Facebook?"-memes? That would indeed be interesting to know as it seems less people are interested in checking this platform everyday. Hope Twitter is next to shrink into the unimportant.
I have no ideas about "boomer memes" – whatever these are – and I never had an account on Facebook anyway.
Reducing oneself's expressions to a concise picture/comic/meme may be a form of art and an intelligent way of starting a discussion sometimes. Other times it is rather not so intelligent and will not take subtleties and connected topics in account. I tend to the second alternative with the given picture.

I live in Getting-dumb-istan, formally known as Germany. A lot of local book stores gave up in the last few years (blaming Amazon of course, what else?).

There is an alternative. No, not piracy. No physical release → no interest → no money. Riding the bicycle instead of streaming. Keep your content locked behind Widevine (or whatever) and have a nice day.
Entertainment content is a luxury good (no matter if physical or digital distribution). Theoretically customers make the rules, not companies. Well, since most people chose to go the way suggested by companies… Too bad. Ultimately good for my wallet.
Where's the funny picture?
1691660606566.jpeg

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm criticizing the picture, not the comic person (representing a future real person) shown there. That is in addition to overused patterns like "Feel old yet?" generally make me cringe and facepalm in the first place.
I guess you just don't feel old... yet :P

I'm at an age where I don't feel old, while (technically) being old enough to be a grandfather,so any time something reminds me of it, it still comes as a surprise and it takes me a while to sink in. It might be midlife crisis, who knows. But I'm at a phase where I find jokes like that funny. For now.
Are they formulaic and trite? Probably. Like any other format, it gets boring (or should I say... old :tpi: ).
But it makes me chuckle.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder what the equivalent of randomly highlighting things is.
hilighting_2x.png

https://xkcd.com/1271/
A bit irrelevant here but, sometimes when i try highlighting like say a sentence, when i start from the end (for convenience sake) dragging it up to the first word in said sentence, it won't let me cover the first letter, it "un-highlights" what i just covered up to that point, moving to the right skipping that first letter while still holding the cursor the highlighted part comes back. Though when starting from the beginning works as intended.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That and the reverse (usually if something involves a link or serious markup and images) can be a side effect of modern web design. Sometimes you get a 1 pixel gap where you can start highlighting without getting anything else but otherwise are going to get what you describe. If you copy and paste (assuming it is not automatic) preferably into a rich text environment when that happens you will probably see a whole bunch of stuff you did not know you highlighted.

Reactions: CoolMe

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you copy and paste (assuming it is not automatic) preferably into a rich text environment when that happens you will probably see a whole bunch of stuff you did not know you highlighted.
And some stuff the website snuck in there to prevent scraping, like links back to the website and such.

• Wow
Reactions: AncientBoi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am curious what type of pee -- some of the products people gobble on the daily these days can have some interesting side effects on animals. Turns out from the video I was going to link it is just salt.

Also do like the trained goats thing for when they were an invasive species

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Where's the funny picture?
That is a question I would be tempted to put below most posts here. But anybody expressing critique on the humor dominant here usually gets told off in a condescending manner (essentially asking them to just leave if not agreeing on the majority taste).

I was under the impression a certain amount of discussion would be allowed answering pictures (and I do my best to not comment all the time).

But: You do have a point! I rarely post any pictures myself. Well. Since @Veho posted a classic → Don Martin comic(*searches old Mad Magazines and books*) I might try my luck with two from Sergio Aragonés. To at least provide some pictures. Doubt anybody will like my choice. But here you go:

Senseless and mean dark humor:
1.JPG

And not so senseless dark humor (sadly very plausible in our jaded world, knowing neither mercy nor sympathy):
2.JPG

I hope this fairly low-res compressed images fall under fair use and I recommend buying books by Sergio Aragonés. Always some good comics!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: also, my apartment is proof that corners are not always 90 degrees