[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

• Action/Adventure

Votes: 127 24.3%
  • Beat Em Up

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • First Person Shooter

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • JRPG

Votes: 169 32.4%
  • MMO

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Platform

Votes: 57 10.9%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • RTS

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sandbox

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Simulation - Flying/Racing/Sports/Life etc.

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Survival Horror

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Third Person Shooter

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • WRPG

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 34 6.5%

• Total voters

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
If I had to pick one, I'd go with action/adventure. No particular reason other than I like the freedom that comes with action games in terms of combat and mobility, but with the linearity of your general adventure game in that even with freedom, your next point of interest is abundantly clear (I'm one of those people who sees sandbox as simply too much choice). JRPG's have become kind of stale in the sense that, really, if you've played one, you've played absolutely all of them. There are much better games out there that incorporate RPG elements into a more action/adventure game (see: Ys 7 - the best PSP game ever).

Reactions: GameWinner

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rather than best genre, I tend to avoid FPS, fighter, sports, beat them up, hack and slash, and simulation game.

If I really have to name best genre, rhythm games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This poll is indeed pretty flawed, asking which genre of video games is "the best" practically means being unfamiliar with what a genre is.

A genre is a category, a part of a classification system, it doesn't carry the notion of "quality", it's a device constructed of criteria. The purpose of using genres is to categorize content, not to judge whether the content is "good" or "bad" because that's not its purpose. What I'm saying here that genres aren't "good" or "bad" in and out of themselves and as such there can't be "the best" or "the worst" genre.

Quality transcends genre - there are good and bad RPG's as well as good and bad FPS'es and the particular genre criteria have little impact on the overall experience - it's the extent to which those criteria were met and the overall execution that are deciding factors of quality.

Genres are umbrella terms which serve no other purpose than to help the user in browsing through content. A user who likes games with plenty of character development can use this particular taste as a criterion in his or her search which will eventually lead him or her towards the RPG genre which specifically focuses on role-playing... and here we stumble upon the magical word "taste", and tastes are not universal.

You can say that Shakespear's "Romeo and Juliet" is a better love story than Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight", you can measure that if you apply certain criteria and those works will have qualities that either fulfil them or don't. You can also apply different criteria and reach a completely different conclusion, but at the end of the day, the deciding factor of which piece is better lays in the execution of the chosen criteria.

At the same time, you can't really say that drama is better than novels or vice-versa because "drama" and "novel" don't have qualities of their own - they're labels attached to given works that fulfil certain criteria. As a reader, you are more "likely" to enjoy one over the other depending on which of those criteria appeal to you, but this appeal is entirely a matter of taste. In and out of themselves, neither novels nor drama execute any criteria at all - they are the criteria.

The argument over which genre is "the best" is an argument over lables, not over measurable content and as such it's pointless. Games are either good or bad, "fun" or "not fun" and more often than not, their genre is completely irrelevant. Asking "what is your favorite genre?" would be far better since here we're asking about the subjective opinion, not an objective judgement.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I had to pick one, I'd go with action/adventure.

Given that action adventure has now had criticism of a sort levelled at it for many years for being a generic term that encompasses an awful lot and says very little as a result I think you have just stumbled upon the alternative way of expressing the sentiments others have shared in the thread thus far.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can't answer this either. My favourite game series is (the first four parts of) Silent Hill. And I also love Alan Wake. But I don't really like survival horror games in general. I love Final Fantasy games, and a few other (J)RPG's but many of other games in that genre bores me to bits. Action RPG are awesome if made right, but not all.

But I guess Platforming games really are those I would show a non-gamer for the sheer joy of gaming. Like Mario Galaxy, it's just fun. Quick to get into, no overwhelming story etc.

*Did not vote*

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I couldn't find SHMUP on the poll, so I went with other. I'd like to believe SHMUPS is the purist form of gaming aside maybe platformers. They test your reflexes, focus, endurance, memory and hand-eye coordination to the limits. Others may feel different, but to each his own.

I don't mean CoD, Buttfield, Gears and etc, I'm talking about Contra, Gradius, Raiden, Dodonpachi and etc.

Reflexes, focus, endurance, memory and hand-eye coordination... Yup, rhythm games got all that and more. (Shmups are awesome too though)

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jRPGs and wRPGs aren't actual genres.
The only difference between the two is the country of where the game was developed, not mechanics.

They differ significantly. WRPGs tend to be open-world and allow for more player-choice than JRPGs. WRPGs are usually real-time and often emphasizes immersion. JRPGs tend to be more linear and story-driven. They tend to be turn-based and push players into an already-established role.

I personally prefer WRPGs. I haven't played a single JRPG which couldn't have been simulated by an Excel spreadsheet, some grid paper, and a scientific calculator.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They differ significantly. WRPGs tend to be open-world and allow for more player-choice than JRPGs. WRPGs are usually real-time and often emphasizes immersion. JRPGs tend to be more linear and story-driven. They tend to be turn-based and push players into an already-established role.
Yes, I know the pattern in jRPGs and wRPGs, but again this doesn't make the two genres real.
Any game from any country can follow either pattern, it's not exclusive to a country for example look at all the games Zeboyd have made and all the games From Software has made. Zeboyd doesn't makes jRPGs and From Soft

I personally prefer WRPGs. I haven't played a single JRPG which couldn't have been simulated by an Excel spreadsheet, some grid paper, and a scientific calculator.
Etrian Odyssey, Class of Heroes, the modern Japanese Wizardry games, and many other jRPGs who payed homage to first person dungeon crawlers which became a hit in Japan such as Wizardry.

Still not a genre.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
first person shooters, third person shooters, are they a diferent genre? IMO its the same thing "shooters" and some of them actually let you play with both cameras

why is there not a such thing as second person camera?

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Etrian Odyssey, Class of Heroes, the modern Japanese Wizardry games, and many other jRPGs who payed homage to first person dungeon crawlers which became a hit in Japan such as Wizardry.

Still not a genre.

Those games are still turn-based or pseudo-turn-based, meaning that they still can be simulated by Excel, paper, and calculator. Sure, you can't simulate the 3D visuals, but the gameplay is more-or-less still turn based. And um... Wizardry is not a JRPG. It's developed by a North American studio, Sir-Tech.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those games are still turn-based or pseudo-turn-based, meaning that they still can be simulated by Excel, paper, and calculator. Sure, you can't simulate the 3D visuals, but the gameplay is more-or-less still turn based. And um... Wizardry is not a JRPG. It's developed by a North American studio, Sir-Tech.
Oh, I read the question wrong.
Also the newer Wizardry games were made in Japan, but the western games became a hit in Japan and is very influential to the jRPGs. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Megami Tensei, other series all cite Wizardry as an influence.

And again not all turn-based games are jRPGs. Including the grid based first person that Etrian Oddysey, Class of Heroes, ect all pay a tribute to.

Edit: I'm not sure if you know this but western RPGs are way older than eastern ones, and they were turn-based. Turn-based RPGs aren't exclusives to eastern/jRPGs because wRPGs did them first.

Not only that but you said
You know that western developers also made first-person dungeon cralwers first years before the eastern/Japanese did ? And that they were grid-based just like the Etrian Odyssey series and people mapped out the games the same way you did.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first person shooters, third person shooters, are they a diferent genre? IMO its the same thing "shooters" and some of them actually let you play with both cameras

why is there not a such thing as second person camera?

2nd person would be seeing through the eyes of someone else, such as perhaps a potential victim of yours. Not really an ideal camera, but someone really clever could potentially make a game that somehow made good use of the concept.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Feel free to try and simulate Ni No Kuni in Excel, on paper or a calculator. If you can, then you can use your shit argument for any game/genre.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>JRPGs
>winning

inm0MvPjaCkoW.gif

I knew GBAtemp had bad taste but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

(puzzle game master race)

Reactions: Foxi4 and Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A friend give me a $35 cigar, and pssf, just as good as a $5 one. But of course gonna have to tell him it was awesome.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    What makes a good Cuban rum soaked cigar is a nice cosmopolitan to go with it.
    +1
    Used to do that every time I went to Miami on business
    There was this little bar I would stop in have that combo and watch the beach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've never met a girl named cosmopolitan, but cool. And where do you insert the cigar? Mr clinton
    Slightly more than 35 dollars lol but I was making thousands on a job.
    Cosmopolitan is just vodka and cranberry juice lol
    I'm a martini glass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My dental assistant is Cuban I'm gonna have to him for cigars and sandwiches now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea wish I could get Cubans cheap, they are ridiculous priced up here. But they are hard workers.
    I think I was paying like 75 back in the early 90s
    Rolled on the thighs of virgins if the stories are to be believed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we belive any of your stories
    That's honestly for the best lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd read his autobiography.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "If I may have done it."
    I'm deliberately vague about some of the details sure it's been 30 years but some crimes don't have limitations
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis sex life is Dubai
    FB-IMG-1717887564361.jpg
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or I picture its like quagmire from family guy, gigity.
    +2
    Back then I was so wasteful with money, didn't bother me to spend 600 bucks in a strip club, some of those private dances though... Lol
    My life back then was a mix of Breaking Bad and John Wick and Dumb and Dumber lol
    The things we do as kids so lucky to be alive lol
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Kids put chocolate in their pockets :ninja:
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Kids put chocolate in their pockets :ninja: