ROM Hack prBoom GBA port and hack for GBA Doom 1 to use it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An actual thread at GBAdev? Might have to add it back to the rounds if that is going to happen.

Never really had chex other than times I was in the US as a kid so missed out on that one and thus the little fad/meme that it became a few years back. Still nice to see such things though.

Doomplayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, thanks so much to Kippykip and everyone who works on the port of prBoom and Doomhack for GBA, you have made my DOOM GBA dreams come true!

However, I was wondering if someone could help me get OBLIGE levels running on the GBA if at all possible? (If you haven't seen OBLIGE, it is a random level/episode generator for DOOM that works well and has lots of fun options. I cannot link to it as I am a new member but just google.)

I have had no issues compiling vanilla wads on GBADoom 1.6, following the github instructions. So I generated a single level in OBLIGE with mostly default settings, I set engine to 'boom compatible' and game to DOOM 2. I went through all the usual steps as per vanilla (setting titlepic to PWAD in misc_gfx.h). This all works fine, and I complie OBLIGE levels without errors.

It boots up on my everdrive x5 but then hangs when initially loading DOOM with this error: 'W_GetNumForName: TEXTURE1 not found'

I tried changing generation settings in OBLIGE, setting the game to doom 1 and Ultimate doom but still get the same error above. I also tried changing the engine setting in OBLIGE to 'limit removing' instead of 'boom compatible' but same error still!

Any ideas on how to get an OBLIGE wad to load? It should be basically vanilla compatible.....right? and what about older school wads like Scythe?

Much thanks:yaysp:

Edit: I just tried two other DOOM level generators, ObHack and SLIGE and got the same error for both. In ObHack, engine is set to 'limit removing' if it makes a difference

Last edited by Doomplayer,

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
First off, thanks so much to Kippykip and everyone who works on the port of prBoom and Doomhack for GBA, you have made my DOOM GBA dreams come true!

However, I was wondering if someone could help me get OBLIGE levels running on the GBA if at all possible? (If you haven't seen OBLIGE, it is a random level/episode generator for DOOM that works well and has lots of fun options. I cannot link to it as I am a new member but just google.)

I have had no issues compiling vanilla wads on GBADoom 1.6, following the github instructions. So I generated a single level in OBLIGE with mostly default settings, I set engine to 'boom compatible' and game to DOOM 2. I went through all the usual steps as per vanilla (setting titlepic to PWAD in misc_gfx.h). This all works fine, and I complie OBLIGE levels without errors.

It boots up on my everdrive x5 but then hangs when initially loading DOOM with this error: 'W_GetNumForName: TEXTURE1 not found'

I tried changing generation settings in OBLIGE, setting the game to doom 1 and Ultimate doom but still get the same error above. I also tried changing the engine setting in OBLIGE to 'limit removing' instead of 'boom compatible' but same error still!

Any ideas on how to get an OBLIGE wad to load? It should be basically vanilla compatible.....right? and what about older school wads like Scythe?

Much thanks:yaysp:

Edit: I just tried two other DOOM level generators, ObHack and SLIGE and got the same error for both. In ObHack, engine is set to 'limit removing' if it makes a difference
Might want to check what's going on in the SLADE editor whether it's naming textures Texture2 instead or if it's deleting the TEXTURE1 lump.
Best way to go about testing it, is to probably merge the changed contents straight into a regular vanilla DOOM.WAD IWAD, and using something like chocolate doom, or DOS Boom and test it out before compiling it to the GBA.

Reactions: Doomplayer

Doomplayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might want to check what's going on in the SLADE editor whether it's naming textures Texture2 instead or if it's deleting the TEXTURE1 lump.

Hey, thank you for the help, however there are no TEXTURE lumps in oblige wads at all according to SLADE. I threw TEXTURE1 and 2 into the oblige wad but after compliation I get a 'W_GetNumForName: F_START not found'

I put TEXTURE inside the F_END marker but same error. Not sure what that means, something up with the lump order? Unsure how to order.

Best way to go about testing it, is to probably merge the changed contents straight into a regular vanilla DOOM.WAD IWAD, and using something like chocolate doom, or DOS Boom and test it out before compiling it to the GBA

Oblige generated wads work on my PC via Chocolate Doom. If I throw TEXTUREs into there, chocolate doom will still run it. Oblige forums say that it is not compatible with vanilla DOOM, maybe that is helpful? But my understanding is that GBADoom = prBoom which is limit removing, so that isn't the issue right? Oblige makes boom compatible levels so that can't be it.

Sorry if this is a stupid noob question. Seems worth the effort for infinite Doom levels on GBA but I'll speak for myself haha. Obviously I'm missing something...
Thanks again,

Edit- The Oblige forums say that it is straight up not compatible with vanilla DOOM, this must be the issue then as GBADoom isn't limit removing?. Dang.

Last edited by Doomplayer,

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep! For custom wad's you may wanna do this extra step if you're using my fork otherwise your titlescreen will be the original one.
VP1hXP4.png
How do you load pwads on gbadoom?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do you load pwads on gbadoom?
Hello.:)
You can't just load custom wads with GBADoom: you have to use DevKitArm to build the .gba file containing the new episode,
and it is a complex procedure, not for beginners. :wacko:
Below you will find 3 links for the pre-compiled versions of LostLevels.gba, ChexQuest.gba and Freedoom.gba, but this one seem to crash at some point:

http://maomaogames.com/Archive/GBA/index.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BmjOPRMUaEgoGEw3Cwv3QTBlXZUvgNl1/view?usp=sharing

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gba-doom-the-lost-levels/downloads/the-lost-levels-v101

Regards :D

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)
You can't just load custom wads with GBADoom: you have to use DevKitArm to build the .gba file containing the new episode,
and it is a complex procedure, not for beginners. :wacko:
Below you will find 3 links for the pre-compiled versions of LostLevels.gba, ChexQuest.gba and Freedoom.gba, but this one seem to crash at some point:

http://maomaogames.com/Archive/GBA/index.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BmjOPRMUaEgoGEw3Cwv3QTBlXZUvgNl1/view?usp=sharing

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gba-doom-the-lost-levels/downloads/the-lost-levels-v101

Regards :D
I already know how to compile in devkit arm, so how do add pwads to the source code?

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I already know how to compile in devkit arm, so how do add pwads to the source code?
There's a bit of manual labour involved, you have to merge the PWAD with a normal base IWAD.
You can do that with a tool like wadmerge: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/67602-wadmerge/
Most mods are based on Doom2 so that's what I would merge it with.

Then you have to edit that line commented above so it loads the title screen direct from the wad
Yep! For custom wad's you may wanna do this extra step if you're using my fork otherwise your titlescreen will be the original one.
VP1hXP4.png

Then delete whatever resources in the WAD that you don't need to make the rom smaller (such as all the sound effects and midis, some statusbar graphics since they're loaded externally.)
This also means if the PWAD uses custom sounds and midi you'll have to painstakingly redo them by hand.

Good luck!

Reactions: DanTheManMS

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bit of manual labour involved, you have to merge the PWAD with a normal base IWAD.
You can do that with a tool like wadmerge: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/67602-wadmerge/
Most mods are based on Doom2 so that's what I would merge it with.

Then you have to edit that line commented above so it loads the title screen direct from the wad

Then delete whatever resources in the WAD that you don't need to make the rom smaller (such as all the sound effects and midis, some statusbar graphics since they're loaded externally.)
This also means if the PWAD uses custom sounds and midi you'll have to painstakingly redo them by hand.

Good luck!
I got it to build, but the markers for the flat lumps and textures appear to be missing now, as i get the error, "f_start not found!"

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been mostly absent lately, and this thread caught my eye. It inspired me to redownload DevKitPRO, figure out how to compile things now that Programmer's Notepad is no longer included as a supplied IDE, and it was this post that got me up and running:

It's pretty straightforward once you have a way to compile with devkitPro set up. I'm not sure how hard that is on a Mac, I use Windows. The Doomhack repository has fairly easy instructions, though. (Gah, I'm new here, can't post links yet... just search for GBADoom on Github)

Once you've got devkitPro set up, download the GBADoom code from the repository and extract it someplace you can easily find with the MSYS shell that comes with devkitPro. I keep my stuff in C:\\devkitPro\projects.

Go inside the GBAWadUtil folder. Drop your IWAD files here. If you're on Windows, you can open up a command line window here (Shift+right click gives you an Open PowerShell option), and run a command like this:
Code:
.\GbaWadUtil.exe -in IwadFileName.wad -cfile CFileName.c
For Freedoom, I used
Code:
.\GbaWadUtil.exe -in freedoom1.wad -cfile freedoom.wad.c
There's ready-made batch files too that you can use. These output straight into the source\iwad folder.

Move the generated .c files into the source\iwad folder (if they're not there already).

Look in the source folder, find doom_iwad.c and open it in a text editor. Comment out (put // before) the "#include iwad/doom1.c". Add a new line in that block that looks like "#include "iwad/CFileName.c"". When I was doing Freedoom, at the end my doom_iwad.c file looked like:
Code:
#pragma GCC optimize ("-O0")

//#include "iwad/doom1.c"
//#include "iwad/doomu.c"
//#include "iwad/doom2.c"
//#include "iwad/tnt.c"
//#include "iwad/plutonia.c"
#include "iwad/freedoom.wad.c"

#include "doom_iwad.h"

const unsigned int doom_iwad_len = sizeof(doom_iwad);

When yours looks similar, close the text editor, navigate the MSYS shell to the top folder (where you can see the build, source, include, etc. folders), and run "make". Let it chug and it should eventually spit out a GBADoom.gba ROM.

Hope this helps!

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, i have a problem now. When i compile my doom maps of chaos wad with the devkitarm, it thinks my game is doom 2, and requests for all the doom 2 flats, and plays doom 2 music instead of doom 1 music even though i was able to get the merged wad working on chocolate doom. How do i force the builder to build the gba file as doom1 and not assume its doom 2?

*EDIT- Never mind, i found out that maps of chaos includes doom 2 maps

Last edited by Bazooka_Face,

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some screenshots of mowhawk.wad and doom the way id did!

Attachments

• mowhawk gba doom mod.png
    mowhawk gba doom mod.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 228
  • mowhawk gba doom modtitle.png
    mowhawk gba doom modtitle.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 185
  • mowhawk gba doomm mod.png
    mowhawk gba doomm mod.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 154
  • gba.png
    gba.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 178
  • gbga.png
    gbga.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 149
  • gba2.png
    gba2.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 161
  • gba1.png
    gba1.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 160
  • sa.png
    sa.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 148
  • titlea.png
    titlea.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 155

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why can't anyone ever get doom playable at the native res of the GBA? It's always some 2x2 pixel stretched shit that looks like garbage. The GBA can more than handle DOOM 1 and 2 at it's native resolution, when compiled from source. So please just do that. And sure, optimizations like 16-bit color and back-face culling make sense, but don't fuck with the graphics!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is WolfenDoom compatible with this?
There's no proper/official faithful console port of Wolfenstein 3D that matches that of the DOS release.
The closest we got was the GBA port, but that one has no music and has butchered features, s that's why I'm asking about WolfenDoom using this.

...Unless ECWolf or some other Wolf3D source port can be ported to the GBA like PrBoom did :P

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here is the xdelta patch for doom - the way id did! The patch for gba doom the way id did needs to be applied to the nointro Doom (USA, Europe).gba rom. The controls were modified from kippy kips controls to make it akin to the way doom 1 controls worked on the gba, as i prefer those over doom 2's control config, and you cant run and circle strafe with kippys control config without changing weapons. So use l+r to change weapons, b to run and interact, a to shoot, l and r to strafe. If you all want me to post a ips for the swapped controller input for doomhack, and kippy kip's doom gba port, let me know, Enjoy!

I am posting all my other successful conversions here too, the same goes for these, you have to apply the xdelta to the nointro version of gbadoom.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PS: I am also open to suggestions on vanilla doom wads you would like to see converted.

Attachments

• doom- the way id did.rar
    7.1 MB · Views: 190
  • earth.rar
    7.3 MB · Views: 148
  • maps of chaos.rar
    6.5 MB · Views: 145
  • mowhawk.rar
    7 MB · Views: 153

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum