Hacking Preserve Wii Shop Downloads

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm sure most of you would probably know by now that Nintendo is beginning its end of life steps for the Wii Shop. Within another year the Wii Shop will be totally shutdown.
I have several titles that I've purchased that I basically want to guarantee that I'll always have copies of in case my Wii kicks the bucket.

I remember a tool from back in the day called NUSDownloader. You could download the titles directly from Nintendo's Servers but they couldn't be packed into WAD because you didn't have the Ticket to do so.
I know things like the "Free Shop" exist today that accomplish this just fine without that limitation. I wondered if a similar tool was ever developed for the Wii Shop. I'd like to just archive all my old VC titles onto my Google Drive for safe keeping.

I've checked around the forums and what I've found has mostly pertained to the Wii U, or the info was outdated.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember a tool from back in the day called NUSDownloader. You could download the titles directly from Nintendo's Servers but they couldn't be packed into WAD because you didn't have the Ticket to do so.
I know things like the "Free Shop" exist today that accomplish this just fine without that limitation. I wondered if a similar tool was ever developed for the Wii Shop.
No, in fact there's no known Wii titlekeys exchange, no (user-friendly - hex editors work fine) titlekey to ticket converter (though they could be made)

For backing up what you have installed, a wad creator - like Bluedump Mod - is recommended

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a ticket forger could be made, like the one used by 3DS and WiiU.
We don't have a database with Wii keys, but the tiket forger could use the title.db file with your ticket info inside?
of course, you won't get access to titles you didn't install unless people start sharing their title.db, or a wii title keys site is created.

Ticket are checked only at install (with the ES module) which is patched in the cIOS.
can't it use any random title key? the title is not encrypted and doesn't require decryption to be launched, and is not verified at launch either. am I wrong? (it seems too easy if it's like that, I'm probably wrong)
it's used only to pack/unpack the wad? we can already generate wads for homebrew channels/forwarders. if cIOS bypass the signature, why can't we use a wrong key to pack to wad?

I thought some people used to install games from eshop looong ago (2006-2008) with a trick, but never made public due to piracy concern.
Wiishop will close soon, nintendo will stop selling coin this year and won't make money from it. That would still be piracy, but will hurt less due to console's end of cycle if such a method was released.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Friendsxix

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can fakesign WW/VC wads. The signature itself is only checked when installing and if the title is launched from the SD menu. The title key itself is what's needed to decrypt the app files. The certificate is easy because it's in the NAND. (cert.sys)

IOSes are encrypted with the common key, I believe, and you can just download the ticket/key for those title types by requesting the file "cetk" from NUS.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
What's the statutes of limitations on the shoplifting channel? Lol. For real I have a backup of it with a pretty decently sized database already organized. It was @cwstjdenobs who did the real work if I remember correctly, but I did some beta testing and at one point released a POC video on youtube

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1