Prima eGuide backups/preservation (and howto)

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I have a sweet spot for the old Prima eGuides. Especially once they went digital since I felt like their anchors/images(format as a whole really) always worked better than anything gameFAQs or a youtube video could ever do for me.

One big issue. As of a few years ago, Primagames has been making these guides harder and harder to access(with users actually fully losing access for a short time period) You can't even purchase these anymore from any storefront official or third party unless you want an actual phsycal(and expensive) used book even though prima games still lists the guides as available to purchase.

With that long winded explanation out of the way. I'm sure a few of you might be thinking about how you can backup your purchased eGuides (and maybe even upload them somewhere like the internet archive)

Thankfully this process is super duper easy thanks to a community made tool by Revadike a few years back. You just need Node.js installed to your computer and a way to export your cookies to a cookie.json format

Download and unzip the github repo to anywhere you'd like. Just make note of where you do as you will need to move/save your cookies.json file to this same folder

Install Node.js to your computer if you have not done so already

Login to your prima games account; https://eguides.primagames.com/

Open the "edit this cookie" chrome extension, click the export button, and save the file to unzipped github repo folder you made in the first step
zVb6Mmm.png

You can now edit config,json if you'd like to change where the downloaded guides will go to. I keep this as default personally.

Open command prompt or windows powershell, navigate to the unzipped github repo folder you made and saved your cookies too.

Once open run the command "npm install" & wait for it to finish

Once it finishes simply run "npm start" and you should see your guides start downloading. This can take a while but once they are done they should be good to go for your offline viewing or internetarchive pleasure

cK8K27M.png
Post automatically merged:

The command for compresssing these PDF files in the github does not work for me. I recommend doing so using Ghostscript since these are gonna be some BULKY PDF files otherwise

Code:
@echo off
mkdir "C:\eguides\compressed" 2>nul
for %%i in ("C:\eguides\*.pdf") do (
    start gswin64c -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="C:\eguides\compressed\%%~ni.pdf" "%%~fi"
)
Post automatically merged:

Example end result. Its a pretty nice PDF all things considered. Just make sure you compress them afterwards. My Destiny 1 guide was 1gb until after the compression where it is now less than 100mb

https://archive.org/details/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3-d-e-guide

Last edited by TheStonedModder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto