Homebrew Problem dumping/importing GBA VC saves with Decrypt9...

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. I am new here so I hope to have fun here. My problem is about dumping/injecting GBA VC save files into their respective games. I followed many tutorials but none seem to work for me. Here's what I do in order:

1-Turn on 3DS
2-Select GBA VC game
3-Exit GBA VC game
4-Turn off 3DS
5-Turn 3DS on with Decrypt9 by holding START button before booting
6-Go where it says "Dump/Import GBA VC save file

And...nothing works. AT ALL. Not even dumping a save on the 3ds. What am I doing wrong? JKSM is not working for GBA VC save files...

(BTW I use an o3ds 11.5 with both homebrew and CFW and have my save files I wanna inject into folders bearing the name of the GBA game.) Any help would be appreciated. :)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am new here so I hope to have fun here. My problem is about dumping/injecting GBA VC save files into their respective games. I followed many tutorials but none seem to work for me. Here's what I do in order:

1-Turn on 3DS
2-Select GBA VC game
3-Exit GBA VC game
4-Turn off 3DS
5-Turn 3DS on with Decrypt9 by holding START button before booting
6-Go where it says "Dump/Import GBA VC save file

And...nothing works. AT ALL. Not even dumping a save on the 3ds. What am I doing wrong? JKSM is not working for GBA VC save files...

(BTW I use an o3ds 11.5 with both homebrew and CFW and have my save files I wanna inject into folders bearing the name of the GBA game.) Any help would be appreciated. :)
You can use Godmode9 with a script to do this instead, it works and it's a lot easier. Get the script from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/

Reactions: NitroHedgehog

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks! It works! But I have one last dilemna... I can't seem to import GBA saves that are 128kb like Pokemon or Mario games... I can export them as 64kb with no problem but after editing the save file, they revert back to 128kb and becomes unusable by the script... How do I convert or compress 128kb save files to 64kb ones? Thanks in advance. :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks! It works! But I have one last dilemna... I can't seem to import GBA saves that are 128kb like Pokemon or Mario games... I can export them as 64kb with no problem but after editing the save file, they revert back to 128kb and becomes unusable by the script... How do I convert or compress 128kb save files to 64kb ones? Thanks in advance. :)
I didn't think any Mario games used 128kb saves.
Anyway, at least for Pokemon cutting off the last 64KB of the save with a hex editor might work, not really sure.
The problem with 64KB saves is that some things in the game won't work correctly with a 64KB save and VC injects don't support 128KB saves. Notably the game won't be able to write hall of fame data and IIRC will crash after beating the game.
This patch is supposed to fix that but might be incompatible with save editors: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixes-for-all-gba-pokemons-save-issue-with-agb_firm.390508/
You should be able to convert between 128KB and 64KB saves in a more proper way with VBA-M. Load the game and save with VBA set to the right save type, change the save type and then save ingame. I think that should work.

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VBA-M didn't worked at all. The topic above seems to be for editing the ROM, not the SAV file... unless the output ROM creates 64kb .SAV files, which I did not test yet. I'll be back with news. Meanwhile I'll test something else, and I would like to learn how to hex-edit a SAV to make it compatible with VC.

EDIT: Hex editor not working, causing save file to erase due to corruption or damage... I really wish I could play GBA Games on my 3DS using savefiles I have from my retail GBA carts...

Last edited by NitroHedgehog,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It seems too good to be true, but seeing nutterbutter comments, makes me think its good. But I'm already on new dash and think ill wait it out in see.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I posted it and you thanked @SylverReZ you drunk lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not gonna use an script online to test, ill wait
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut? I'm drunk not me who?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Guess I was too famous.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ive only heard of the Durango dumps.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a video right above you lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You just connect....and your banned, next
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Must be drunk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope, California sober tonight
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Do they even upload older firmware where you can usb update if newer ones do come out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can update w USB but they only offer newest updates on they site, they don't give old like ps
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean an archive if a person wants to buy an older Xbox for the exploit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think there is a way to archive older update files or no one's cared to so if patched already screwed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still not sure how it works, but yea MS offers newest updates only, you can't find old
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found a internet archive that's up to 2021 that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or if you are on on old fw, it won't let you online till u update to newest
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm still not getting that hyped over it I can play my pc game that I torrented with a torrent for Xbox that's the same game woo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea @SylverReZ the Durango dumps have all I've heard of till now that was significant
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If they enable stealth online like the good old jtag days that'll be different
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    #BringBackGodModeOnline
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: #BringBackGodModeOnline