Project 64 2.0

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always felt the N64 emulation scene being a little "dead", but maybe it's just me. I'm happy that PJ64 finally got an update! I believe the last one was from 2010 (?)
yeah I know it went open source, but since I'm stupid... I can only complain :lol:

To be honest but the N64 emulation scene is one of the worst out there. Even in Big Bang Theory Sheldon joked about crappy N64 Emulators while playing Mario 64.
I mean this tells me everything. There was no breakthrough for years. The PJ Team collected Donations over years but 1.7 was locked away for years. Most Emulators are fucking complicated, too many (crappy) Plugins, too much experimenting with it. There was never somebudy until now to try real perfect emulation. Some dude is now on it and seems to make good progress.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes indeed it runs very good on it except that it will fill your ram until it crashes. There must be some memory leak. I tested this under win8 and pj 1.7 last time.
That's weird, got any info on the RAM thing?

Or are you one of those people that assume crashes are always related to RAM?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
This must be a very bad joke. 1.7 still hasn't been released to the public and it has been years since the site has been updated with info.
1.6 or maybe 1.5 was also released on April Fools IIRC.

Also I posted links to Jabo's blog with info about the split. The devs didn't have access to the site for a long time, the person who was managing the site and the donations disappeared.

It's sort of like how Dolphin got a new website when the person who was managing the old one vanished so nothing got updated/fixed there, but here they seem to have regained access.

too many (crappy) Plugins
The original idea was that people could develop improvements on the plugins instead of needing to branch the core emulator, since the plugins take care of many of the things that improve accuracy and speed.

Unfortunately that still relies on the old "we assume people want to fix their own shit instead of complaining" idea. And as you can see, that's still wrong. Look at the people in this thread, one of the most-developed emulators goes open-source, and not a single person mentions the ability to fix issues themselves, they just complain more.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This must be a very bad joke. 1.7 still hasn't been released to the public and it has been years since the site has been updated with info.
Pretty sure they stated that they renamed 1.7 to 2.0 simply because of how much code was cleaned up/rewritten in the new version. This release isn't a joke, keep in mind that 1.6 was also released on April 1st, 8 years ago.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You obviously missed the joke; it's reverse psychology. He released a legit version with the source code. 1.7's code was a joke.

quote="Rydian, post: 4601749, member: 244492"]1.6 or maybe 1.5 was also released on April Fools IIRC.

Also I posted links to Jabo's blog with info about the split. The devs didn't have access to the site for a long time, the person who was managing the site and the donations disappeared.

It's sort of like how Dolphin got a new website when the person who was managing the old one vanished so nothing got updated/fixed there, but here they seem to have regained access.

The original idea was that people could develop improvements on the plugins instead of needing to branch the core emulator, since the plugins take care of many of the things that improve accuracy and speed.

Unfortunately that still relies on the old "we assume people want to fix their own shit instead of complaining" idea. And as you can see, that's still wrong. Look at the people in this thread, one of the most-developed emulators goes open-source, and not a single person mentions the ability to fix issues themselves, they just complain more.[/quote]

But this is the internet, they HAVE to complain because they're too f***ing lazy to do something on their own.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird, got any info on the RAM thing?

Or are you one of those people that assume crashes are always related to RAM?

I tried to play this game with Glide64 because it was looking and working the best with Goemon. Unfortunately it started to crash and i didnt know why.
Then i was looking to the Windows resource monitor and saw that the ram usage was getting higher and higher when i was changing scenes/rooms.
I dont think that Pj64 with glide64 playing Goemon64 needs 1400 MB Ram or more ;) Then i changed to another plugin and it was gone.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I tried to play this game with Glide64 because it was looking and working the best with Goemon. Unfortunately it started to crash and i didnt know why.
Then i was looking to the Windows resource monitor and saw that the ram usage was getting higher and higher when i was changing scenes/rooms.
I dont think that Pj64 with glide64 playing Goemon64 needs 1400 MB Ram or more ;) Then i changed to another plugin and it was gone.
I don't have that ROM to test handy, screenshot? Curious on this, whether it's a plugin or if you're using a mismatched version of the GLide wrapper or something.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
the Glide API may be an OLD API. But it get's framebuffer effects (the Glide API hardware side of the plugin), on real hardware. You know, see conker bad fur day's effects on a voodoo 3000 16MB VRAM 60FPS and the texturing mode ALMOST identical like it was on N64 makes the 3DFX card a jewel.. (bilinear / trilinear happens on hardware while primitives are rendering on the vcard buffer, because of some data algorythm shrinking [on the bus card] and "rebuiliding" data (causes loss of colours, but it's FAST)

add that framebuffer effects run on the vram area physically[on voodoo cards], like N64 does with RDP while doing cpu writes on the vram framebuffer. The problem with Glide HQ is that you either need a Voodoo 3 onwards, or a good VCARD with enough ram and run pixel shaders on hardware (say NV44 chips and up)

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be that Glide64_Final is not working with PJ64 2.0?
I just tried but it does not even showing up in the Plugin list.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey you guys...

do you notice that within the timeframe of 1.6 to 2.0 we have had major breakthroughs in emulating both the Gamecube and the PS2 which have almost (if not more) compatibility and accuracy to their respective systems, even the Saturn THE FUCKING SATURN has pretty decent emulators now, it's really sad when you think about the state in which N64 emulation is in

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be that Glide64_Final is not working with PJ64 2.0?
I just tried but it does not even showing up in the Plugin list.

Place glide3x.dll in the main directory. Works fine on my end.

And if people are getting BSODs, they REALLY should upload an error report.

hey you guys...

do you notice that within the timeframe of 1.6 to 2.0 we have had major breakthroughs in emulating both the Gamecube and the PS2 which have almost (if not more) compatibility and accuracy to their respective systems, even the Saturn THE FUCKING SATURN has pretty decent emulators now, it's really sad when you think about the state in which N64 emulation is in

What the deuce are you talking about? The Sega Saturn isn't that much better emulation-wise than the N64. They can't even get the audio emulation right.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the deuce are you talking about? The Sega Saturn isn't that much better emulation-wise than the N64. They can't even get the audio emulation right.

but considering they even have playable emulation for the Saturn at all is surprising, since the saturn's architecture is infamously complex and is no were near as popular as the N64 for people to want to devote time and effort to make an emulator for

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
This emulator actually works pretty darn good here, I even got Pokemon Snap to be playable at 1080p. It sound as the Music is a litle bit too fast but atleast I can take photos and see them after each level! And it seems that professor Oak even gives you a fair judgement. Thats a real improvement if you ask me! :D But you have to disable "Fixed audio timing" in the settings! Otherwise the game runs way way!! Too fast!!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5