Project Santa Cruz revealed as the Oculus Quest

Oculus has announced their next foray into VR, revealing their prototype of Project Santa Cruz as Oculus Quest. First revealed as a prototype in 2016, It's due for a full release in spring of 2019, retailing for $399.99, and will offer specifications like having a 1600x1440 display resolution per eye, and 64GB of internal storage. 50 new games will accompany the headset's launch including the likes of Robo Recall, The Climb, and Moss which were previously only available on its competitor, the Rift. The main differing feature of the Oculus Quest is that it's a standalone "all-in-one" device, meaning you won't need any extra hardware to power the headset, as it has a mobile processing chip built in.

More information is scheduled to be revealed later this week, during the Oculus Connect 5 event, where the system will be on display as demo units.

We’re excited to usher in the next era of VR gaming with the introduction of Oculus Quest, our first all-in-one VR gaming system. Oculus Quest will launch in Spring 2019 for $399 USD. Offering six degrees of freedom and Touch controllers, Oculus Quest makes it easy to jump right into the action—all with no PC, no wires, and no external sensors. We have over 50 titles in the works, including some of your favorite Rift games like Robo Recall, The Climb, and Moss. With the introduction of Oculus Quest, we’ve completed our first generation of best-in-class VR headsets. Oculus Go remains the easiest and most affordable way to get into VR, while Oculus Rift leverages the power of your PC to push the limits of what’s possible. Thanks to Oculus Quest, we’re now able to combine the best of both worlds and welcome even more people into the VR community. Visit oculus.com to learn more. This year’s Oculus Connect is all about celebrating how far the VR industry has come in the past five years—and looking ahead to an even brighter future—so it’s no surprise that we’d be revisiting Project Santa Cruz. Originally unveiled at OC3 in 2016, Santa Cruz was the very first prototype of VR’s standalone form factor. No HDMI cables connecting you to a PC, no external sensors, no need to drop in a phone—just put on a completely untethered headset and be instantly transported to any number of virtual worlds. Fast forward to 2017, when we introduced two positionally-tracked controllers at OC4 for a glimpse of the magic of hand presence delivered by Touch delivered in a standalone form factor. Although we started off building an entirely new input device for Santa Cruz, we got some great feedback from the developer community, encouraging us to use the same input as Rift. It’s important that we make it easy for devs to build for both platforms to ensure the long-term health of the VR industry, and we’ll do more to unify our content ecosystems in the months and years ahead.

dims.jpg

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice that you don't need a superpowered computer for this thing but VR is still absolutely useless and expensive.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
VR designs need to stop putting the processing power in the wearable head device.

This creates an obvious uncomfortable, and heavy experience on the user.

Have the processing power somewhere else, leave the headgear device simple and only with the absolute required internals in order to keep the weight and size as low as possible.

That's the one and only thing the Magic Leap One got right..

Reactions: Axido

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I need clarification. Why does it seem they're advertising it as standalone?

I'm pretty sure it's simply completely wireless, and just connects to a station?

Otherwise a standalone VR headset doesn't really seem doable yet.

Edit:

Never mind I'm stupid. But how would this even run most games?

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for this. It has the potential to be the VR headset we've been wanting since the beginning

I feel like this is the step that VR finally needs to move forward. Looks pretty cool.
I'm not sure where the enthusiasm is coming from, this is just another mobile processor-driven standalone. Graphics will probably be slightly worse than PSVR. The future of VR is bigger FoV and better resolution, not compromises in every stage of design.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
problem of vr games is they are all just "minigames" or tech demos, barely any vr game is even worth playing, so paying 400$ to play some tech demos and minigames is very pricey.
That's not true. Steam and oculus store have a very good library of games (original and ports) for vr. Sure 99% of games are crappy, but that's true of every system. The 1% that arent is probably a larger number than quality ps4 and xbone exclusives put together imo.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's not true. Steam and oculus store have a very good library of games (original and ports) for vr. Sure 99% of games are crappy, but that's true of every system. The 1% that arent is probably a larger number than quality ps4 and xbone exclusives put together imo.
i never heard of a must play game that is VR only until now.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The price is really good for a VR headset, but I don't see it hit the casual mass market with $400. I think they need to go to ~$250-$300 somehow to get it into the mass market.

hamohamo

Trophies
XP
Country
How is that not good when the rift only has 1080x1200 per eye ? That resolution is def good per eye for that price. I think you missed the point that this is per eye resolution. even the vive only has 1080x1200
Well the rift was released when vr only started to get some attention. It was early 2016 iirc. And when i used that it felt pixelated af. Maybe 1600*1440 is an important difference.

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite as optimistic as other people. The reason I enjoy play VR is for the real games, not the silly mini games. For example I love setting up my racing wheel/pedals/shifter and play Assetto Corsa in VR. I love playing a large scale space shooter in VR. However, i'm not very interested in playing more mini games.

Now the problem with this device is that it's a standalone for $400 bucks. There's no 1080 in that headset-- there's probably not even a 1050. There's no i7-8700k, there's probably not even an i5 (8th gen). The point is, it's not going to run full scale PC games with those specs.

It's an interesting idea that i'll most likely enjoy experiencing, but it's going to be a pretty basic device as far as VR goes. I'd much rather they gave us an Oculus Rift but with the 1440p resolution in each eye that I can use on my gaming PC.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
VR doesn't have one killer app, but it has a ton of really solid titles. A lot with both flatscreen and VR support. Everspace, House of the Dying Sun, Redout, Superhot, Thumper, Payday 2, Rez Infinite just to name a few that are 100% worth picking up. To a lesser degree Skyrim and Fallout 4 since you have to buy separate VR versions, and I'd say only Skyrim VR is worth getting. What you consider "must-buys" for VR exclusives depends on whether you prefer active standing games or seated, but you can easily find ten in each category.

Some of my favorites:

Sairento VR
Beat Saber
InDeath
GORN
To The Top
2MD VR Football
Arizona Sunshine
New Retro Arcade: Neon
Space Pirate Trainer
Windlands

Last edited by Xzi,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not saying any are 'must play'. im saying robo recall, superhot vr, recroom, virtual desktop, alien isolation vr, beat saber and escape room are better than almost any ps4/xbone exclusives besides bloodborne.

NightStorm1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Without a PC? Nope. Is going to die quickly. Even a 7th Gen I7 with a GTX1070 struggles to pull of many Games at a good Graphics Quality. Just think about how ass the Graphics have to be on that thing.

Last edited by NightStorm1000,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Im not saying any are 'must play'. im saying robo recall, superhot vr, recroom, virtual desktop, alien isolation vr, beat saber and escape room are better than almost any ps4/xbone exclusives besides bloodborne.
that is a matter of opinion, for me those games are crap, specialy super hot, i cant stand it really, id take any ps4 or even nintendo exclusive any day over any of those titles really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are yall doing +1