Hardware Proof 3DS uses DSi power cable

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Even if the shape is the same with DSi, what about voltage? Do they charge at same voltage?

I would guess so if they chose the same design; last thing they want is warranty claims for the same connector being inserted into a different voltage device. The question for me is: Will Nintendo finally ship a world-voltage capable AC Adaptor?

It still amazes me they're too tight to do this.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Even if the shape is the same with DSi, what about voltage? Do they charge at same voltage?
There really isn't much new here.

The power socket and voltage were visible in the photo's on Engadget taken @ E3, both of which are the same as the DSi.

6-15-10-3dscloseup14-1276632041%20copy.jpg

Ignore the flashcart, it's from a debate about the cart slot size in an old thread. It's likely that it may require more amps than the DSi, as all the processing power it's meant to have and 3D screen are bound to consume more power. However if that were the case, logically you would expect Nintendo to use a different power connector to prevent people plugging in their DSi charger/ accessories.

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish Nintendo would do what a lot of cell phone companies are doing which is providing a mini usb to usb wire where the min usb part will hook up to the phone and the usb part can either hook into a computer or the wall outlet piece
7233.jpg

I would love to be able to charge my ds with my laptop without having to buy extra wires.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The only problem with USB charging is it's slower. 500mA maximum current per USB port is the reason.
Same thing with PSP; USB takes about twice as long to charge the battery than the AC adaptor.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The AC adapter to USB port type connectors like mentioned above do not have that limitation. Just because it's a USB connector on the 3DS (hypothetically) wouldn't mean it was always limited to 500mA. When connected to a USB port on a computer, it would charge at 500mA, and when connected to AC (still using the USB connector) it would charge at maybe 1A with something like that.

Again, this is what many phones do.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
jhoff80 said:
The AC adapter to USB port type connectors like mentioned above do not have that limitation. Just because it's a USB connector on the 3DS (hypothetically) wouldn't mean it was always limited to 500mA. When connected to a USB port on a computer, it would charge at 500mA, and when connected to AC (still using the USB connector) it would charge at maybe 1A with something like that.

Again, this is what many phones do.

jimwhat referenced hooking it up to his computer too, here the 500mA limit is definitely enforced, so it would be slower here.

If they make AC adaptors going beyond this (I don't own any so don't know), I can see Little Johnny damaging his iPod and other things that perhaps weren't designed to be charged at a higher rate, so there is some danger here.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Coreyfrog7 said:
will people please stop showing the fake photo the real one does not have a flashcart in it
Quit whining. The only person who has is me. It was a lot easier for me to insert the image I already had on pix.gbatemp.net than to troll though the engadget site looking for the original image. As I said, that image was created not as a fake but to solve an argument about the cart slot size. Hence why I said ignore the flashcart.

The image clearly shows the power socket along with the voltage, hence the reason I posted it in this thread because trumpet-205 wanted to know what the voltage was.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks tk_saturn.

Its strange that Nintendo did not opted a different socket. Perhaps they are using a lower rating mAh battery for 3DS. But then the battery life..........

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
hova1 said:
lostdwarf said:
also, the power light looks to be represented by a love heart
wub.gif

it's an AC-Plug like on the DSi
[attachment=547:dsi.PNG]
QUOTE(petspaps @ Aug 15 2010, 04:46 PM)

It is a love heart ... On the bottom of the 3DS, under the power button, on the right hand side of the headphone socket.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lostdwarf said:
hova1 said:
lostdwarf said:
also, the power light looks to be represented by a love heart
wub.gif

it's an AC-Plug like on the DSi
[attachment=547:dsi.PNG]
QUOTE(petspaps @ Aug 15 2010, 04:46 PM)

It is a love heart ... On the bottom of the 3DS, under the power button, on the right hand side of the headphone socket.
no its not, its just a plug icon same as the dsi

its looks nothing like a heart

high res pic to show the icon
nintendo-3ds-blue-open.png

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country

[/quote]

My bad, sorry. Ooh the power and charge lights are on the bottom noe. Volume slider... You have been missed

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
lostdwarf said:

My bad, sorry. Ooh the power and charge lights are on the bottom noe. Volume slider... You have been missed
Maybe it goes straight to the DS
(Meaning we are able to play the console while its charging even if battery is plugged out)
Instead of going to the battery itself?

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't like the headphone jack being in the middle of the bottom half, rather have it at the side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw