Homebrew Proposed SD directory restructuring for homebrew

A

a9lh-1user

I will give you an example:
As Aureinand changed to Luma3DS the names of the payload changed 3 to 5 times and the thread was messed up with user questions "why" "How" and so on.
I know because they dont read the great Luma3DS wiki......but thats normal "if you know what i mean!" :)
Luma3DS was named "Noob Proof"!
I LOVE Luma3DS and the FREE work behind it!!!!! (I couldn't do it and i'am greatfull that someone made it!) but i dont thing that was Noob Proof!

Now imagine what happened if you change the file hirarchy for a "cleaner" root of the SD?!

I dont want to KILL the idea or stopping the change but there are many thoughts that it will be a mess in the beginning.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I will give you an example:
As Aureinand changed to Luma3DS the names of the payload changed 3 to 5 times and the thread was messed up with user questions "why" "How" and so on.
I know because they dont read the great Luma3DS wiki......but thats normal "if you know what i mean!" :)
Luma3DS was named "Noob Proof"!
I LOVE Luma3DS and the FREE work behind it!!!!! (I couldn't do it and i'am greatfull that someone made it!) but i dont thing that was Noob Proof!

Now imagine what happened if you change the file hirarchy for a "cleaner" root of the SD?!

I dont want to KILL the idea or stopping the change but there are many thoughts that it will be a mess in the beginning.

And they eventually figured it out a month later and life moved on as normal.

Anyways, I'm adding shadowhand and cruel paths to my makefile as a compile-time thing. Default will stay as 'clusterfuck' (root dump) for now.

Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: Shadowhand

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could do it, but only on Valve time. I'm too lazy to RE NTR when I could be implementing something like it.

What about RE'ing and then rewriting it? :P The problem is, there wasn't any space to change the paths, not to mention, it kinda references to itself for some reason and is literally assuming itself to be on the SD root...

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
What about RE'ing and then rewriting it? :P The problem is, there wasn't any space to change the paths, not to mention, it kinda references to itself for some reason and is literally assuming itself to be on the SD root...

I meant I could RE it on Valve time, not implement something similar in Valve time (though implementing something similar will still probably take Valve time, since dividing Valve time by two is still Valve time. :P)

EDIT: Repointering strings to a buffer might be feasible, at least. I can take a look at making ntr.bin pathchangeable.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I meant I could RE it on Valve time, not implement something similar in Valve time (though implementing something similar will still probably take Valve time, since dividing Valve time by two is still Valve time. :P)
Well, maybe just RE the home menu or something, so we can load plugins right off the bat?

EDIT: Or maybe NS?

Last edited by Shadowhand,

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe just RE the home menu or something, so we can load plugins right off the bat?

I may or may not be screwing around with TestMenu. No promises.

...HOME menu is gigantic, and that's not something I want to do.

In case you missed the edit, repointering strings to a buffer in NTR might be feasible, at least. I can take a look at making ntr.bin pathchangeable.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I may or may not be screwing around with TestMenu.

...HOME menu is gigantic.

In case you missed the edit, repointering strings to a buffer might be feasible, at least. I can take a look at making ntr.bin pathchangeable.
Oh yeah I missed it. Why don't you visit #Cakey so we can chat in real time and you can realize how horrible a dev I am? :P

Reactions: Wolfvak

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah I missed it. Why don't you visit #Cakey so we can chat in real time and you can realize how horrible a dev I am? :P

I don't even have an IRC client, but I really need to hop on there. Eventually. :P

Maybe I'll hop on later once I build XChat from source. Kinda LFS here.

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Show off. :P There are webclients you can use temporarily.

Not my intention. :P Running LFS is actually a bit of a PITA. Anyone who values their time shouldn't bother with it. It's a headache to keep track of. I'm using it solely because Gentoo started to have systemd-creep.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is dumb, because there's literally no need for cfw/ or arm9/ or files/ or log/, all you need is /3ds/, and then each folder being a single folder for one application within the system be it 3dsx or not.
And that's dumb because it completely ignores the reasons why people aren't using /3ds/ currently. You think devs will just start using /homebrew/3ds/ when they weren't even using /3ds/ in the first place? My primary purpose for this was branching the /3ds/ directory which currently is not inviting for non-3dsx homebrew. But then you also go and say you would use /homebrew/3ds/hblauncher/ or something, so it's a little inconsistent. Using a directory like that will guarantee that devs won't use it. And even if they do, users will throw a fit and cause them to change it back. You may think compatibility with /3ds/ will hurts things, but it's really the only way anything will change.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The directory needs to change, and better soon then later, cause the garbage heap is growing.
Let's just pick a directory structure and follow it.

TurtleP

Trophies
Website
TurtleP.github.io
XP
Country
United States
@TheCruel feel free to post this link in the OP:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10647742

It's a poll for the new format. I would honestly like to see people voting rather than liking/quoting/replying posts that they dislike or like the ideas.
For the lazy, this is the idea:

Code:
sdmc:/
../3DS/
../arm9loaderhax.bin
../../apps/
../../data/
../../boot/

'. .' just means previous directory so it has indentation and also shows the way the structure works. It all leads back to sdmc:/.

Edit: we can put arm9 bin in /3DS/ or on root, I don't mind, but I'd think doing it in /3DS/ is better. I didn't realize when I thought of this at 2am that arm9loaderhax.bin is not under /3DS/.

Last edited by TurtleP,
Reactions: Demirramon

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: we can put arm9 bin in /3DS/ or on root, I don't mind, but I'd think doing it in /3DS/ is better. I didn't realize when I thought of this at 2am that arm9loaderhax.bin is not under /3DS/.
Moving arm9loaderhax.bin at this point would be pretty hard, since most people are running an a9lh install the looks explicitly at the SD root

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'd like to say that I still vouch for the original concept of having "/3ds/apps/", "/3ds/arm9", "/3ds/appdata", etc.

Having a folder called "homebrew" and within it having "3ds" is kinda dumb because nobody uses the same sd card for more than one system, and if you do, stop being so cheap. 8GB sd cards are ridiculously cheap nowadays.

As for the UNIX-like system, it's a terrible idea. Not just because it's completely overkill for our purposes, but also because it'd add a layer over ctrulib (what'd "~/" be in the 3DS? "/3ds/home"?) and the lack of symbolic / hard links, which are one of the things that make a *nix-like fs layout so versatile (don't like "/usr/local/lib"? just symlink that shit to "/usr/lib")

Just sayin'

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@TheCruel feel free to post this link in the OP:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10647742

It's a poll for the new format. I would honestly like to see people voting rather than liking/quoting/replying posts that they dislike or like the ideas.
For the lazy, this is the idea:

Code:
sdmc:/
../3DS/
../arm9loaderhax.bin
../../apps/
../../data/
../../boot/

'. .' just means previous directory so it has indentation and also shows the way the structure works. It all leads back to sdmc:/.

Could you add mutiple options? I would like to see a homebrew structure with an a9lh folder and log folder too, or do you mean this as an example?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to say that I still vouch for the original concept of having "/3ds/apps/", "/3ds/arm9", "/3ds/appdata", etc.

Having a folder called "homebrew" and within it having "3ds" is kinda dumb because nobody uses the same sd card for more than one system, and if you do, stop being so cheap. 8GB sd cards are ridiculously cheap nowadays.
I think most people who were pushing for /homebrew/3ds/ have been convinced that /3ds/apps/ would be a better alternative, hopefully...

Reactions: Joel16

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll leave these here....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated