Hardware PS VITA Scratched. Replacement Slim or Original?

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi. So basically my VITA has a few scratches on the screen from it lying around. They'e noticeable enough on bright colours to annoy me because they look like rainbow effects. There's only about 2 or 3 on it like that but it still bothers me. I know if I buy a replacement screen for it I'm gonna end up with an LCD.

So basically in others opinions, should I try get another one and sell this one on instead?

So everything about the slim is supposed to be better except the most imprtant thing... The screen.

In your opinion is there really that much of a difference compared to the OLED screen and what VITA do you prefer?

Chances of me getting FW 3.60 are very low also I'd imagine but that would be a bonus if it were possible.

So a slim or an original model and is it possible to get one on 3.60?

Thanks.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Definitely go with the slim.

Yes, the OLED screen is superior. However you will never have to deal with the "burn" effect that happens sometimes, and most importantly (at least for me), the weight difference.

The biggest killer for me on the original vita is that it weighs a ton! Seriously, playing while laying in bed holding it up at the right angle makes my wrists hurt on the old one. The slim has managed to make that far better.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yeah it's kind of hard to know what to do. It's The same price of €99.99 in gamestop over here for either the slim or original. Micro USB is also handier than the vita cable but my phone is USB type C anyway so that kind of makes no difference. I feel like I prefer the better colours and about the burn in you mention. I've never actually noticed it but can it have a permanent burn in or is it just temporary image retention?

Last edited by OldSchoolTech,

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
If I could afford an OLED TV, I'd love to buy one. The visual clarity compared to led is unrivaled. Rich deep colors with true blacks... so if my Vita ever broke down, I'd be buying another OLED. It's a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy a new screen from aliexpress. Be sure that it includes the plastic frame or else you're gonna have to use a heat gun to melt the adhesive.

I prefer my phat vita over my slim. The difference in color is pretty noticeable if you've played both. Also, the build quality is much nicer on the phat. The slim feels very light and plasticy.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Right so I think I'll be getting another phat one. Depending on the price of the screen that is. Either way I'll be selling mine for about 60 so it's like just paying 40 for a better condition screen.

You sure the aliexpress ones are OLED?

Also yeah I bought a 4k TV for like 800 and I know OLED is clearly better but crazy expensive. I picked a VA panel to at least have decent contrast compared to the cheap LG which had the worst black levels I've ever seen on anything.

Edit: Suppose that's what you all mean. Much better ontrast and colour reproduction on the phat model.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right so I think I'll be getting another phat one. Depending on the price of the screen that is. Either way I'll be selling mine for about 60 so it's like just paying 40 for a better condition screen.

You sure the aliexpress ones are OLED?

Also yeah I bought a 4k TV for like 800 and I know OLED is clearly better but crazy expensive. I picked a VA panel to at least have decent contrast compared to the cheap LG which had the worst black levels I've ever seen on anything.

Edit: Suppose that's what you all mean. Much better ontrast and colour reproduction on the phat model.
Well, I got mine from ebay and it was definitely legit. The screen inside is actually Samsung brand. The one I received was also Samsung.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Well, I got mine from ebay and it was definitely legit. The screen inside is actually Samsung brand. The one I received was also Samsung.

So just basically check the sellers feedback. Is it basically a legit screen in a 3rd party new frame you get? That would do once the screen is legit.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I had a look and on ebay all I can find are oled screens on their own with no frame or touchscreen and the only one with a frame that claims it's legitimate in the UK costs 60 euro. At that I'll benefit from buying a refurbished vita and selling mine at half that price.

All the cheap ones with frames just say LCD replacement.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a look and on ebay all I can find are oled screens on their own with no frame or touchscreen and the only one with a frame that claims it's legitimate in the UK costs 60 euro. At that I'll benefit from buying a refurbished vita and selling mine at half that price.

All the cheap ones with frames just say LCD replacement.
The one I bought said LCD, but it was OLED. I don't think they even make LCD's for the phat Vita.

Reactions: OldSchoolTech

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The one I bought said LCD, but it was OLED. I don't think they even make LCD's for the phat Vita.
Just wasn't too sure because I have seen fake third party Samsung galaxy phone screens that were LCD instead of amoled and they didn't even work properly. I could chance it and just hope it ends up being legit. I also never took apart a Vita before but I can look up a teardown video. Surely it wouldn't be that hard.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I guess they just label them as LCD when they list it. I suppose they expect more people to search for "screen", "display" or "LCD" rather than "OLED". Dunno.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wasn't too sure because I have seen fake third party Samsung galaxy phone screens that were LCD instead of amoled and they didn't even work properly. I could chance it and just hope it ends up being legit. I also never took apart a Vita before but I can look up a teardown video. Surely it wouldn't be that hard.
It's very easy if you buy it attached to the frame. They have white, red, and blue on aliexpress so you might wanna check those out. Like I said, I haven't ordered from them, but the people on reddit seemed to have had good luck.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It's very easy if you buy it attached to the frame. They have white, red, and blue on aliexpress so you might wanna check those out. Like I said, I haven't ordered from them, but the people on reddit seemed to have had good luck.
I ordered a few things from them before so I wouldn't mind too much. I'd definitely rather buy the one with a frame. Only problem is waiting for the replacement. There are some for sale in my country for a little bit extra which I wouldn't mind buying if they are legit but the colour variation you mentioned would be interesting. I'd need the rest of the shell too though which shouldn't cost much.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah it's kind of hard to know what to do. It's The same price of €99.99 in gamestop over here for either the slim or original. Micro USB is also handier than the vita cable but my phone is USB type C anyway so that kind of makes no difference. I feel like I prefer the better colours and about the burn in you mention. I've never actually noticed it but can it have a permanent burn in or is it just temporary image retention?

Unfortunately, once the burn-in happens, it is permanent. It happened on my first Vita and I don't even know how. It barely got any sunlight.

To me, the weight difference makes this choice. But at the end of the day it's all about preference. If you prefer better materials and a better screen, then definitely go with the original.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Unfortunately, once the burn-in happens, it is permanent. It happened on my first Vita and I don't even know how. It barely got any sunlight.

To me, the weight difference makes this choice. But at the end of the day it's all about preference. If you prefer better materials and a better screen, then definitely go with the original.

Thanks. It's the same price for the slim or original at 100 euro or I can literally have a screen in 2 days for 40 if I want one in a hurry. Only thing is that's without the plastic frame but I do have a heat gun. Then again if I was going to do that I think selling it for 60 and buying the other one for 100 would make more sense. Basically looks like waiting a month for a cheap screen and doing it myself will just save me about 15 euro is all. Probably not worth all the effort and easier to just buy the other one from the shop.

At least if the one from there is in bad condition I'd be able to send it back.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks. It's the same price for the slim or original at 100 euro or I can literally have a screen in 2 days for 40 if I want one in a hurry. Only thing is that's without the plastic frame but I do have a heat gun. Then again if I was going to do that I think selling it for 60 and buying the other one for 100 would make more sense. Basically looks like waiting a month for a cheap screen and doing it myself will just save me about 15 euro is all. Probably not worth all the effort and easier to just buy the other one from the shop.

At least if the one from there is in bad condition I'd be able to send it back.

Honestly the front frame + LCD screen for vitas cost around 30€ on the internet? Just buy that. I will be buying one myself to replace my scratched screen.

OldSchoolTech

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Honestly the front frame + LCD screen for vitas cost around 30€ on the internet? Just buy that. I will be buying one myself to replace my scratched screen.
I'm not having much luck finding one on ebay but aliexpress have a few. I'll just pick one with a lot of good feedback if I'm taking one.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...