Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi everyone!

I have started to look on to Ps2 emulation on Android 10 Lineage for my Nintendo Switch, and i was a bit afraid of how well it would performs, because of the comments i usually find everywhere on internet but, it happens that all games that i tried runs really well gameplay related, so i guess its a similar matter to the PSone emulation on Old 3DS, where a lot of games works, but either most people don't know or don't care about.
As i have found a compatibility list for the 3DS Ps1 compatible game, i was wandering if there's any for the PS2 emulator on the Switch running Android, as sorely, there's no Horizon version yet (as far as i'm aware).

I guess that a list like this, would show everyone that Switch can handle that kind of thing better than they expect.

Some games i tried on AetherSX2 so far are:

Game Title:------------------------------State:---------------------Resolution:

Castlevania Curse of Darkness----Totally Payable--------3X the default (CGIs are a bit slow, but the game runs really well)

Front Mission 4--------------------------Playable-----------------2X the default

Front Mission 5 (Eng. patch)--------Playable-----------------3X the default

God Hand---------------------------------Playable-----------------2X the default

God of War-------------------------------To Slow------------------Default

Gran Turismo 4-------------------------To Slow------------------Default

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 ----------------- Playable----------------Default (haven't tested further)

Metal Saga--------------------------------Playable----------------3X the default

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of The Roses--Totally Payable-------4X the default

Games that i haven't tested and should run very slow (Maybe not the 2D ones)

Arctic Thunder - Starts with not showing the Memory Card Info, but press X, and it runs great afterwards
Family Guy -
God of War 2 -
The King of Fighters '94 Rebout -
Simpsons: Hit & Run -
Street Fighter EX3 -
True Crime : Streets of L.A

I'm aware that in the current emulation state, some games can run really poorly, i haven't find one yet, but they should be there, so if there's no list, maybe we can make one here?
That would help anyone with doubts about some game's performance.

Thanks.

Edit:

I will update this list with new tittles i have tested (NO OVERCLOCK).

Last edited by Glawbit,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSone emulation on Old 3DS,
what a horrible example that really shows how low your standards are. yeah they "ran" with horribly low accuracy and insanely low resolution with MANY even having performance issues with such bare bones emulation not even worth the time. AetherSX2 is no different. when I emulate I want the games to look and perform better than the original hardware not worse. this is a place where the steam deck shines

Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what a horrible example that really shows how low your standards are. yeah they "ran" with horribly low accuracy and insanely low resolution with MANY even having performance issues with such bare bones emulation not even worth the time. AetherSX2 is no different. when I emulate I want the games to look and perform better than the original hardware not worse. this is a place where the steam deck shines
Horrible example!!! Man, i literally played all the games i care on there (Digimon World 3, Legends of Dragoon and Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories) with full speed! What version of the Retroarch core have you tried and what's the emulator configuration?
It really surprises me how people keeps talking apparently, without even trying the thing themselves before, the emulator has evolved a lot in the latest years. About the resolution... well, is a 3DS screen so, there's noting to be done.

About AetherSX2, I'm sure that many people out there will not care if the game is not on it's 100%.
For me, if it runs smoothly docked and undocked on places where I have control over the character, menus and so on, I don't really care if some games will not have the videos at full speed, or any other problem ( that's not gameplay related). I'm sure that this could impact some games like Final Fantasy X, but will it perform that bad on Switch? How could we know if not trying it out? And there's always an possibility of the problem getting fixed with a future update.
That's why I'm searching for a list where I can see this kind of info, and if you have an Steam Deck and can play emulators far better than in the Switch, why are you in a thread of PS2 emulation on an N Switch anyways?
I guess there's room for both ways of thinking, so I'll keep my question.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Horrible example!!! Man, i literally played all the games i care on there (Digimon World 3, Legends of Dragoon and Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories) with full speed! What version of the Retroarch core have you tried and what's the emulator configuration?
It really surprises me how people keeps talking apparently, without even trying the thing themselves before, the emulator has evolved a lot in the latest years. About the resolution... well, is a 3DS screen so, there's noting to be done.

About AetherSX2, I'm sure that many people out there will not care if the game is not on it's 100%.
For me, if it runs smoothly docked and undocked on places where I have control over the character, menus and so on, I don't really care if some games will not have the videos at full speed, or any other problem ( that's not gameplay related). I'm sure that this could impact some games like Final Fantasy X, but will it perform that bad on Switch? How could we know if not trying it out? And there's always an possibility of the problem getting fixed with a future update.
That's why I'm searching for a list where I can see this kind of info, and if you have an Steam Deck and can play emulators far better than in the Switch, why are you in a thread of PS2 emulation on an N Switch anyways?
I guess there's room for both ways of thinking, so I'll keep my question.
you completely looked over the fact that they run at a horrible resolution to make them "playable"

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great idea, but I sold all my v1 switches and android for oled switch isn't out yet.. Otherwise I'd totally tried it myself. Have no idea that ps2 is playable on switch.
i haven't find one yet
Can you try some hard to emulate games? For example:
shadow of the colossus
gran turismo 4
god of war 1 &2
god hand

If it can handle these games then it can play any ps2 game.

Reactions: Glawbit

Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Great idea, but I sold all my v1 switches and android for oled switch isn't out yet.. Otherwise I'd totally tried it myself. Have no idea that ps2 is playable on switch.

Can you try some hard to emulate games? For example:
shadow of the colossus
gran turismo 4
god of war 1 &2
god hand

If it can handle these games then it can play any ps2 game.
Good ideia! I'l try it when i get the time and update the thread with the results.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I am correct, my Tablet is a higher end Device than the Switch, but so far on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ all the Games I ran work perfectly, except a Menu Issue on Arctic Thunder. But if the Switch is close to my Device Specs, that would mean the Device should work close to the Same. Even on my Note 9, Games seem to run perfectly so far. Even God of War seems to not have problems, though I am just starting from scratch. Also, PNACH Files are in effect.
If this helps, awesome. Will List Games if needed

Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I am correct, my Tablet is a higher end Device than the Switch, but so far on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ all the Games I ran work perfectly, except a Menu Issue on Arctic Thunder. But if the Switch is close to my Device Specs, that would mean the Device should work close to the Same. Even on my Note 9, Games seem to run perfectly so far. Even God of War seems to not have problems, though I am just starting from scratch. Also, PNACH Files are in effect.
If this helps, awesome. Will List Games if needed
I guess i'll try God of War and some of the other games @randy_w suggested, if they runs well, we probably can assume that Switch will at least run the same games you did at a playable state and your list should be pretty helpful, if not, let's see.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games are on my Tab S7+, or otherwise Noted

Arctic Thunder - Starts with not showing the Memory Card Info, but press X, and it runs great afterwards
Family Guy - Perfect (Both)
God of War - Perfect as far as I could tell (Note 9)
God of War 2 - Some slowdowns In-Game (Note 9)
The King of Fighters '94 Rebout - Perfect (S7+)
Simpsons: Hit & Run - Perfect (S7+) close to 90% on Note 9
Street Fighter EX3 - Perfect (S7+) Around 95-90% on Note 9
True Crime : Streets of L.A. - (S7+ Perfect)(Note 9 Graphic Issues) - Can not Load Save on BOTH

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found this video on youtube, apparently switch can't handle any demanding titles like god of war or shadow of the colossus. Well wasn't expecting it to run at full speed as ps2 emulation is pretty demanding to begin with..

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

True Crime : Streets of L.A. - (S7+ Perfect)(Note 9 Graphic Issues) - Can not Load Save on BOTH
did....did you really just try to say a Snapdragon 865 is the same (or close to) as a Tegra x1? because the Snapdragon 865 absolutely destroys the Tegra X1. Snapdragon 845 also destroys it

Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thank you for the list, it should give us a starting point.
Found this video on youtube, apparently switch can't handle any demanding titles like god of war or shadow of the colossus. Well wasn't expecting it to run at full speed as ps2 emulation is pretty demanding to begin with..

Nice find! Yep, i have just tested God of war and Gran Turismo 4 (Without overclock, i never use it) and they runs really slow but, God Hand is running quite well 2X the default resolution, handheld mode and docked, from SD card or directly from a Hard Drive FAT32 formatted, with Joy cons, on screen controller, or even my PS4 Controller paired with 6Bit Dongle, no lag input or anything, same for Castlevania Curse of Darkness, but this one can run at 3X the native resolution so far, thoug i imagine it will slow down with this resolution with to many enemies on screen.

So, i guess i'll be updating the list.

Reactions: randy_w and Smoker1

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God Hand is running quite well 2X the default resolution
Ha, guess I'm wrong about it being a hard to emulate game. Iirc I tried it a few years ago on my pc and it ran horribly, maybe it's something else.

Anyway I'd definitely load that game up once android for oled switch is out. It's definitely my favorite beat em up game, used to play it all the time despite it's a pretty hard game.

Glawbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ha, guess I'm wrong about it being a hard to emulate game. Iirc I tried it a few years ago on my pc and it ran horribly, maybe it's something else.

Anyway I'd definitely load that game up once android for oled switch is out. It's definitely my favorite beat em up game, used to play it all the time despite it's a pretty hard game.
Yeah i love it! Lol quite the funny game i like to juggle with the enemies:rofl2:. But i have to say, the game have slowed a little during the first boss fight in the 2X resolution, so it's not all that lightweight but totally playable nonetheless.

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why it shouldn't, based on the graphics complexity, but i haven't tried it myself.

Most certainly yes, turn based RPG games usually aren't that graphically demanding.
You do realize that emulation is CPU intensive not GPU intensive right? Graphically demanding is irrelevant when the Switch CPU is the bottleneck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Watchmen is awesome 👍