PS1/2 [PS2] Disk drive doesn't work. Can I install uLauncELF without it to make USB loading possible?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Good day, Temp community.

I know the PlayStation 2 is a niche system by now in terms of hacking and homebrew.
I did some cleaning around the house, digging out the Christmas ornaments for the holidays, and happen to find out a very old PS2 (FAT) system that some friends of the family lent me years ago to fix (from what I recall).

I removed the dust of it, gave it a quick test, and it wasn't powering on.
Long story short, I ended up fixing that issue, and now the PS2 is turning on and working normally up to the menu.

However, I found out that the disk drive doesn't seem to be working.
It tries to respond to the eject button, but gets stuck, and when I force a disk into it, it seems to be trying to load it, but nothing so far.
I tried cleaning the lens and all, but nothing yet.

So with that, I was wondering.
I know there's a softmod method to make PS2 game loadable through USB.
It seems to require a combination of a software called uLaunchELF loaded from disk, then it installs something to make loading through USB possible in the PS2.

But, as you can see, I cannot use the disk drive for reading.
So my question is, what are my options to install uLaunchELF in the PS2 other than loading it through the disk drive?
Do I have any options? Are there other methods to load it it without the DVD drive?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this, and for any suggestions!

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
Good day, Temp community.
So with that, I was wondering.
I know there's a softmod method to make PS2 game loadable through USB.
It seems to require a combination of a software called uLaunchELF loaded from disk, then it installs something to make loading through USB possible in the PS2.

you just need to make or obtain a FMCB memory card. as your fat doesnt read disks anymore, you best buy a FMCB memory card somewhere on ebay. once you have FMCB you can easy boot all games via internal hdd, usb is frustrating slow and has bad compatibility

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you just need to make or obtain a FMCB memory card. as your fat doesnt read disks anymore, you best buy a FMCB memory card somewhere on ebay. once you have FMCB you can easy boot all games via internal hdd, usb is frustrating slow and has bad compatibility
What advantage does FreeMcBoot have over uLaunchELF?
And can I expect with performance through USB loading with it?
I did think about getting a FMCB memory card, I might take a look during the week to see if I can find one in a local shop in the city.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I’d get a HDD adapter and use that, both to install/run FHDB and to install/run games from.

This method requires writing image to the disk drive on a computer.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I’d get a HDD adapter and use that, both to install/run FHDB and to install/run games from.

This method requires writing image to the disk drive on a computer.
Oh, is it actually possible to make the whole process through a sole HDD?
Do you have a link to said adapter, please?

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
What advantage does FreeMcBoot have over uLaunchELF?
Basically FMCB has uLaunchELF built-in. FMCB is a softmod to allow you booting unsigned code like uLaunchELF. Basically you just need FMCB or FHDB if you do it via hdd and you can run OPL to load backup games via HDD, SMB...

I’ve only used the official one, I can’t name a specific third party one I’d recommend although they are available on ebay, aliexpress, etc.

I also have the original one from Sony but any 3rd party hdd adapter would work. The 3rd party ones just do not have the ethernet port

Oh, is it actually possible to make the whole process through a sole HDD?
Do you have a link to said adapter, please?

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/ps2-hdd.html

Aliexpress, plenty of cheap ones available...

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I’ve only used the official one, I can’t name a specific third party one I’d recommend although they are available on ebay, aliexpress, etc.
Basically FMCB has uLaunchELF built-in. FMCB is a softmod to allow you booting unsigned code like uLaunchELF. Basically you just need FMCB or FHDB if you do it via hdd and you can run OPL to load backup games via HDD, SMB...

I also have the original one from Sony but any 3rd party hdd adapter would work. The 3rd party ones just do not have the ethernet port

Fantastic, so there's hope after all, thanks!
I will try to get my hands on an FMCB memory card then, as that seems to be the best option to do this.

Just to be sure, do I need the memory card on the PS2 at all times for it to run games from USB?
Or can I just install the softmod, and continue using the PS2 without the FMCB memory card?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

I’ve heard some have had issues in the past, besides networking, don’t know about these days.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fantastic, so there's hope after all, thanks!
I will try to get my hands on an FMCB memory card then, as that seems to be the best option to do this.

Just to be sure, do I need the memory card on the PS2 at all times for it to run games from USB?
Or can I just install the softmod, and continue using the PS2 without the FMCB memory card?

Avoid USB for running games due to it’s slow speed, use SMB or internal HDD.

Internal HDD is probably the easiest.

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
Trust in yourself it will work, the PS2 is the easiest console to mod nowadays :D If you have a friend with a slim PS2, you can make in 5min the FMCB memory card with FreeDVDBoot.

If you have the HDD installed, you can use FMCB memory card to permanently install it as FHDB on your HDD and you do not need the memory card anymore, but it is best to keep the FMCB memory card around in case you mess up the HDD one day ;)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see. So it's always recommended to use an internal HDD then instead of USB for speed reasons I assume.
So I should get:
  • FreeMCBoot memory card
  • Internal HDD
How do I pass over games to the HDD?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I see. So it's always recommended to use an internal HDD then instead of USB for speed reasons I assume.
So I should get:
  • FreeMCBoot memory card
  • Internal HDD

Personally, I wouldn’t buy an FMCB card since as I said you just use the HDD by imaging FHDB (with which you can create your own FMCB card).

You can use a PC to also install games using something like hdl dump by plugging the HDD into it.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I should get:
  • FreeMCBoot memory card
  • Internal HDD
Not sure if you've gotten to it yet, but regarding the network adapter -- it is generally recommended to get a first party network adapter as a lot of people have had issues with the newer third party clones. A good way to differentiate the adapters is to get one with a telephone cable connector; these were released in the US and no clones exist for them as far as I know. If you go that route, you might also need a SATA mod, as these old adapters only support IDE drives out of the box (although that is what I have in my PS2 and it works fine).

You should also be aware, not all drives are compatible, check the compatibility list to make sure you don't get a drive that's not compatible

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you've gotten to it yet, but regarding the network adapter -- it is generally recommended to get a first party network adapter as a lot of people have had issues with the newer third party clones. A good way to differentiate the adapters is to get one with a telephone cable connector; these were released in the US and no clones exist for them as far as I know. If you go that route, you might also need a SATA mod, as these old adapters only support IDE drives out of the box (although that is what I have in my PS2 and it works fine).

You should also be aware, not all drives are compatible, check the compatibility list to make sure you don't get a drive that's not compatible

Used many mainly clones and 0 issues. Best setup is FMCBOOT on memory card since it loads faster than FHDBOOT and a 2TB 3.5inch desktop hard drive. hdl_dump_helper_gui_2.3 + OPL_Manager_V21.6. Format drive with PS2 and make partition for OPL box art first is best.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Be careful with SATA conversion kits, I believe I accidentally blew the 12V rail fuse on mine doing one of these.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh