PS1/2 PS2 Not Reading Certain Discs

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me say it now, this has nothing to do with the laser as other burned discs and official games read fine

I recently got some PAL PS2 games from my cousin, the one I'm most interested in being Dead or Alive 2. Yesterday I went and bought a 10 pack of Verbatim DVD+Rs so I can make burned copies of the games and play them on my PS2. The first game I burned was DOA2, as I'm a DOA fan and couldn't wait to play it. I rip the ISO from the original disc, test it with PCSX2 just in case, ESR patch it, burn at AWS speed, and put it in my PS2...nothing. The disc sounds like it spins, stops, spins, stops, then gives up. I've had this issue before when using DVD-Rs, which simply wouldn't work on my PS2. I then burn another copy, this time with an ISO from online. Same result. Is there any reason why certain writable discs just won't read? Last time I got a pack of DVD+Rs, they worked flawlessly. With this new pack (which is the exact same one from the exact same store), the PS2 won't even attempt to read the discs. Spins, stops, spins, stops (there is a tick noise each time it stops). I know this pack is a lost cause, but is there any way of knowing if a pack of DVDs will work or not before I waste my money?

The DVDs are Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16x speed 120 min. I've used a pack of these exact discs before with no issue.
ESR is used to play burned games on my PS2, I have no mod chip and no tape/straw trick.
PS2 is a PS2 slim
It has nothing to do with the game being PAL as Space Channel 5 Part 2 runs perfectly, on a Verbatim disc no less

I know someone is gonna suggest this, but no I won't use OPL. I can never get it to read the games off my USB, despite following tutorials exactly.

Last edited by Black_Heart,

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you setting the booktype to DVD-R before burning? Some say this needs to be done with DVD+Rs.

My PS2 would continue to read official games even though it suddenly became too weak for ESR burns, though if you are still able to load some of your old burns, that's probably not it.

The solution really is OPL, like it or not.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you setting the booktype to DVD-R before burning? Some say this needs to be done with DVD+Rs.

My PS2 would continue to read official games even though it suddenly became too weak for ESR burns, though if you are still able to load some of your old burns, that's probably not it.

I've never set the booktype to DVD-R before. I'll have to try that. I am beginning to think it's the laser now because now none of my burned TDK discs won't work (with the exception of Persona 4 and Phantasy Star Generation 1). I'll have to keep finding a way to get OPL to work, I guess. If not, I can get a replacement laser for less than $20, so not too big a problem.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Welp, ImgBurn won't let me change booktype as my DVD reader/writer's manufacturer doesn't appear on its list. Digital may be my only option for some games. However, is it possible to use a USB DVD reader/writer? Cause if so, that might be easier than setting up OPL.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, ImgBurn won't let me change booktype as my DVD reader/writer's manufacturer doesn't appear on its list. Digital may be my only option for some games. However, is it possible to use a USB DVD reader/writer? Cause if so, that might be easier than setting up OPL.

Another thing I found to help is burn the disks as slow as you can...

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried that, it doesn't make a difference. Most likely I'll have to use OPL. I know OPL has a virtual memory card, but is it possible to have it access a real memory card instead? I tried searching for a similar question, but no one has seemed to ask.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know OPL has a virtual memory card, but is it possible to have it access a real memory card instead?
Yes, it's an optional feature, in fact (the few times) I use OPL I use the basic version, the one without VMC/GSM/PS2RD/etc (I normally use miniOPL/diskload directly from the official HDD browser)

That's rarely the best option for modern discs and optical drives, which are tuned for different speeds than 1x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: *Renewed