PS1/2 [PS2] Retroarch: Checking which cores are working correctly

jonhon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
As of June of this year, the PS2 port of Retroarch has at least 50 cores.

tried to play some games from lesser known systems but most of them didn't work, as they needed some extra files, like Intellivision for example.
But even having the necessary system files, some cores are still not working: Atari 2600 (stella), Colevision (blueMSX, Gearcoleco). Both reset to the main ps2 menu and I need to delete the Retroarch CFG config file to be able to open the App again

Since I can't find much information about this expecific version of Retroarch I would like to check the rest of the cores and which ones are working.

-Using a USB stick to test the games
-Own SCPH-9000x with Matrix modchip

Bomza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of June of this year, the PS2 port of Retroarch has at least 50 cores.

tried to play some games from lesser known systems but most of them didn't work, as they needed some extra files, like Intellivision for example.
But even having the necessary system files, some cores are still not working: Atari 2600 (stella), Colevision (blueMSX, Gearcoleco). Both reset to the main ps2 menu and I need to delete the Retroarch CFG config file to be able to open the App again

Since I can't find much information about this expecific version of Retroarch I would like to check the rest of the cores and which ones are working.

-Using a USB stick to test the games
-Own SCPH-9000x with Matrix modchip
Post automatically merged:

Intellivision core works fine as long as you have exec.bin and grom.bin in the system folder. (Colecovision needs colecovision.rom). But even with colecovision.rom in the system folder, the Atari 2600 (Stella) and Colecovision (Gearcoleco) cores also both crash to the PS2 menu screen for me. Deleting the retroarch.cfg didn't help me. I had to re-install RetroArch each time it crashed in order to get it to work again.

I tried using Funtuna and a fork of Funtuna based on Free McBoot 1.8 running off a memory card in slot one. Intellivision, Genesis and NES cores all work just fine off the USB stick. Atari 5200 core (Atari 400/800, XL/XE computers) barely work if reset after loading games, but run unbearably slow with messed up colors.

-Also using a USB stick to test the games
-Own SCPH-90001 with no alterations

After more testing, the latest stable and nightlly builds DO NOT work with Stella2014 (Atari 2600) or Gearcoleco (Colecovision), and if you try to load their cores it will crash you to the PS2 menu. The latest stable build is 1.16, but the last stable PS2 build that actually works with the Stella2014 (Atari 2600) or Gearcoleco (Colecovision) cores is the 1.13 build (11-19-2022) which you can find at the libretro nightly builds site.

Last edited by Bomza,
Reactions: jonhon

jonhon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Intellivision core works fine as long as you have exec.bin and grom.bin in the system folder. (Colecovision needs colecovision.rom). But even with colecovision.rom in the system folder, the Atari 2600 (Stella) and Colecovision (Gearcoleco) cores also both crash to the PS2 menu screen for me. Deleting the retroarch.cfg didn't help me. I had to re-install RetroArch each time it crashed in order to get it to work again.

I tried using Funtuna and a fork of Funtuna based on Free McBoot 1.8 running off a memory card in slot one. Intellivision, Genesis and NES cores all work just fine off the USB stick. Atari 5200 core (Atari 400/800, XL/XE computers) barely work if reset after loading games, but run unbearably slow with messed up colors.

-Also using a USB stick to test the games
-Own SCPH-90001 with no alterations

After more testing, the latest stable and nightlly builds DO NOT work with Stella2014 (Atari 2600) or Gearcoleco (Colecovision), and if you try to load their cores it will crash you to the PS2 menu. The latest stable build is 1.16, but the last stable PS2 build that actually works with the Stella2014 (Atari 2600) or Gearcoleco (Colecovision) cores is the 1.13 build (11-19-2022) which you can find at the libretro nightly builds site.

Thank for resposding this old thread
Will try to test more core later

Bomza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a lot more testing, and while the latest stable 1.16 PS2 RetroArch has no sound, the latest nightly build does have sound. The nightly build (1-20-2024) still crashed on Stella2014 and Gearcoleco cores though. But I think I narrowed down the problem.

Just for the hell of it, I replaced the Stella2014 and Gearcoleco cores from the 1.16 nightly build with the cores from the 1.13 build and it worked! No more crashes. So there's your temporary fix. Something must be off with the versions of the Stella2014 and Gearcoleco cores after 1.13. Everything else that I tested seems to be fine. Tested GameBoy, Lynx, Genesis, Sega Master System, NES, SNES and Intellivision and I was able to get them all working with at least one of the cores provided.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!