PS2 with ripper modchip, issues

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, today i got a PS2 in. It has a Ripper modchip installed, but the component cable doesn’t work, composite’s fine but component not. I have it set correctly to it’s definitely a hardware fault, i opened it up and saw the modchip. When i took a closer look i accidentally ripped out a wire that’s connected to ground, it’s called „RGB link” in the V5/V6 install diagram on the ripper chip website (earliest snapshot). Turns out it was connected to an alternate via, i resoldered it directly to the chip leg because the via was ripped off. Now the console still doesn’t output component, but it also doesn’t boot PS1 games now. It only boots PS2 originals, PS1 originals and backups don’t work. PS2 backups also don’t work. Any suggestions? Should i rewire the modchip up? Replace some components? It’s an SCPH-30004R console, motherboard is GH-015.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, today i got a PS2 in. It has a Ripper modchip installed, but the component cable doesn’t work, composite’s fine but component not. I have it set correctly to it’s definitely a hardware fault, i opened it up and saw the modchip. When i took a closer look i accidentally ripped out a wire that’s connected to ground, it’s called „RGB link” in the V5/V6 install diagram on the ripper chip website (earliest snapshot). Turns out it was connected to an alternate via, i resoldered it directly to the chip leg because the via was ripped off. Now the console still doesn’t output component, but it also doesn’t boot PS1 games now. It only boots PS2 originals, PS1 originals and backups don’t work. PS2 backups also don’t work. Any suggestions? Should i rewire the modchip up? Replace some components? It’s an SCPH-30004R console, motherboard is GH-015.
RGB link? I think you mean the RGB colour mod that has a jumper soldered to GND to fix green screen and b&w issues with the component cables, when and without imported games.

Do you have a picture of the mobo so I can take a better look?

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
RGB link? I think you mean the RGB colour mod that has a jumper soldered to GND to fix green screen and b&w issues with the component cables, when and without imported games.

Do you have a picture of the mobo so I can take a better look?
Yes! It had/has the via/pin jumped to ground. And here’s the mobo:

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 63452876-A98D-4891-8F29-77209AE5CF2B.jpeg
    63452876-A98D-4891-8F29-77209AE5CF2B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would replace those wires with 30AWG single-core wire (except for VCC and GND), of which thicker wire is best for continuity.

Here's the diagram for your motherboard.
Ok? But will that help with the component or reading discs? And should i leave the pin connected there or resolder to the via?

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok? But will that help with the component or reading discs? And should i leave the pin connected there or resolder to the via?
I would also check for damaged traces on the motherboard as well.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh wauw, there's still a whole website archived about this chip B-) I have a PS2 which was already chipped by the previous owner, it's the same Ripper modchip as the TS have. It can only boot games with taps on the reset button and not from the browser. I always thought there's something wrong with it, but it seem to be normal according to this page :)

https://web.archive.org/web/2003020....php?module=1&article=5&col_type=2&col_parm=0

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.