OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
So one of my friends handed me his PS3. I have worked on it in the past, basically just cleaning the fan and applying new thermal compound.

About half the time when the PS3 gets turned off, it will beep 3 times, shut down, and then the power LED will blink red.

I have seen some google results that indicate similar behavior, but those results are for when the PS3 just shuts down on its own, not from the user telling it to shut down. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch the led carefully. if it blinks yellow before red, the system will need to be reballed due to YLOD. but if there is no yellow blink, try booting without the hard drive. bad hard drives can also cause errors like the red light.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Watch the led carefully. if it blinks yellow before red, the system will need to be reballed due to YLOD. but if there is no yellow blink, try booting without the hard drive. bad hard drives can also cause errors like the red light.
No yellow LED.

I actually put in a different HDD to rule that out and it is still doing it. I HIGHLY doubt it is overheating because when I did clean it out before I had put IC Diamond on the processors, unless everything is clogged, but I doubt that as well. There has to be another explanation.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I actually just put rebug 4.82 on it, but it was doing this issue prior to CFW and it is still doing it even after. It was OFW prior to putting rebug on it. It was on 4.81, and then I updated it to 4.82 just to run the exploit.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it have any issues with the Blu-ray drive? Or perhaps the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth antenna? I know when the logic board on the Blu-ray isn't working correctly it cab cause a hang on shut down resulting in a forced shutdown (3 beeps and a blinking red light which indicates the system froze while attempting to shut down and had to force a shutdown.) It's also common when there is an issue with the antenna. Which model is the faulty unit? Phat or slim?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Does it have any issues with the Blu-ray drive? Or perhaps the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth antenna? I know when the logic board on the Blu-ray isn't working correctly it cab cause a hang on shut down resulting in a forced shutdown (3 beeps and a blinking red light which indicates the system froze while attempting to shut down and had to force a shutdown.) It's also common when there is an issue with the antenna. Which model is the faulty unit? Phat or slim?
All wireless stuff seems to be in working order.

The other bit of info that he gave me was that i will still play games, but it will not play blu-rays or DVDs. I havent tried it myself yet bc I don't have blu-rays or dvd discs in my house. But that does seem rather unusual for an error like this to happen, but idk.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All wireless stuff seems to be in working order.

The other bit of info that he gave me was that i will still play games, but it will not play blu-rays or DVDs. I havent tried it myself yet bc I don't have blu-rays or dvd discs in my house. But that does seem rather unusual for an error like this to happen, but idk.
Hmm perhaps the drive is beginning to fail. It
Would certainly explain the intermittent nature of the issue. The best I could recommend is attempting to replace the Blu-ray drive/logic board and see if the issue persists. You will need to marry the new drive board however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Luckily, he survived.