Hardware Need some help for second-hand PS3 repairs, how to fix it ?

Indy13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello friends,

I came to ask you for advice, I received a second-hand super slim PS3 last week (it's my first PS3), and I quickly noticed that I hadn't gotten a great deal (It's partly my fault, I should have taken more time before buying ^^)

But so to summarize, this is what happened, on the first use after 1 hour of play, the fan started to make a lot of noise, it was only by putting it in a vertical position that it calmed down a little before starting again, regardless of the position, the only way I had to calm the fan was to suddenly stop the system by disconnecting the power supply (yes I know, we have seen better solutions ^^) and restarted it, I also noticed that the cover had a tendency to move back a little, so I used a small plastic wedge to fix it.

So I decided to open it to clean it and curiously it is very clean but still with some small dust residue, I think that the person who sold it to me had probably cleaned it quickly without putting it back. thermal paste. I was told that to be sure I was going to change the fan and reapply thermal paste. (it's being delivered, so I haven't started this repair yet).

A problem that never happens alone, yesterday, I realized that the console no longer starts, well not quite, it starts but immediately a message appears saying that the system data is damaged and must be restored, I leave so the process is done but each time I restart, I always get the same message, so I suspect that the HDD is dead, it's not very serious because anyway I wanted to change it for an SSD (which is also In the process of delivery)

So to summarize (a second time), to repair this affair of the century^^, I ordered what I needed:
- a new fan
- thermal paste
- a new SSD

However, not knowing the console, I may have missed something in my diagnosis and that's where I need advice. Do you think you would have thought of the same things as me or is there something else you would have done if you had had the same problems as me?

On the other hand, to reinstall a new hard drive, I read that the latter had to be formatted in FAT32, so I am thinking of using guiformat or SD Formater, I downloaded the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file from the Sony site, and, from what I understand, I will have to put this file on a USB key formatted in FAT32 in a PS3 directory and in an UPDATE subdirectory and boot the console from the key, is that it?

So, the question I ask myself is, do I really need to format my new SSD first or will the console do it? On the other hand, only the update file is necessary or are other files required to reinstall a new hard drive?

Currently, I am running firmware 4.90 but on the other hand by plugging the current HDD of my PS3 into my PC, I do not have access to any data, the only message I get is that the disk must be formatted, or if I understand correctly, if it is in FAT32, I should access the data without having problems or having to go through software like for PS2 hard drives, right?

So here is where I am in my investigations before embarking on these repairs and if you have any advice to give me, I am interested.

Sorry for this long message (I tried to be as precise as possible), thank you for reading to the end (if you read this^^) and thank you in advance for your answers. :)

Reactions: BigOnYa

XFoxPrower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello friends,

I came to ask you for advice, I received a second-hand super slim PS3 last week (it's my first PS3), and I quickly noticed that I hadn't gotten a great deal (It's partly my fault, I should have taken more time before buying ^^)

But so to summarize, this is what happened, on the first use after 1 hour of play, the fan started to make a lot of noise, it was only by putting it in a vertical position that it calmed down a little before starting again, regardless of the position, the only way I had to calm the fan was to suddenly stop the system by disconnecting the power supply (yes I know, we have seen better solutions ^^) and restarted it, I also noticed that the cover had a tendency to move back a little, so I used a small plastic wedge to fix it.

So I decided to open it to clean it and curiously it is very clean but still with some small dust residue, I think that the person who sold it to me had probably cleaned it quickly without putting it back. thermal paste. I was told that to be sure I was going to change the fan and reapply thermal paste. (it's being delivered, so I haven't started this repair yet).

A problem that never happens alone, yesterday, I realized that the console no longer starts, well not quite, it starts but immediately a message appears saying that the system data is damaged and must be restored, I leave so the process is done but each time I restart, I always get the same message, so I suspect that the HDD is dead, it's not very serious because anyway I wanted to change it for an SSD (which is also In the process of delivery)

So to summarize (a second time), to repair this affair of the century^^, I ordered what I needed:
- a new fan
- thermal paste
- a new SSD

However, not knowing the console, I may have missed something in my diagnosis and that's where I need advice. Do you think you would have thought of the same things as me or is there something else you would have done if you had had the same problems as me?

On the other hand, to reinstall a new hard drive, I read that the latter had to be formatted in FAT32, so I am thinking of using guiformat or SD Formater, I downloaded the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file from the Sony site, and, from what I understand, I will have to put this file on a USB key formatted in FAT32 in a PS3 directory and in an UPDATE subdirectory and boot the console from the key, is that it?

So, the question I ask myself is, do I really need to format my new SSD first or will the console do it? On the other hand, only the update file is necessary or are other files required to reinstall a new hard drive?

Currently, I am running firmware 4.90 but on the other hand by plugging the current HDD of my PS3 into my PC, I do not have access to any data, the only message I get is that the disk must be formatted, or if I understand correctly, if it is in FAT32, I should access the data without having problems or having to go through software like for PS2 hard drives, right?

So here is where I am in my investigations before embarking on these repairs and if you have any advice to give me, I am interested.

Sorry for this long message (I tried to be as precise as possible), thank you for reading to the end (if you read this^^) and thank you in advance for your answers. :)

HDD:
You won't need to format a new HDD via PC. When you boot with the new drive, the PS3 will prompt you to format it. FAT32 flash drive, /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDATE.PUP like you said (Must be 4.90 as that's what the flash remembers), in 1 USB port, Controller connected by USB on the other (no bluetooth in this environment You have a cable right?). The operating system will be installed from the firmware. The only time I've had issues here is from a HDD (ST1000LM035, do not recommend) formatted by the PS3 from Settings, aborted mid-way. It wouldn't boot at all let alone allow it to be reformatted. I recommend a 1TB WDBMYH0010BNC-NRSN, no problems with mine. PS3's filesystem is encrypted, so you can't read the data by PC without its keys.

I myself could use some resources on replacing my left USB port as it's finicky. And I've never done a repaste yet. But I have replaced a Bluray laser dock once.

Reactions: Indy13 and BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- a new fan
- thermal paste
- a new SSD
This will be nice once done. PS3 is easy to fix/mod. The SSD just pop in as is, PS3 will format it, then install official 4.9 FW (PUP) and good to go, From there you can install CFW/HEN and access homebrew. Have fun!

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for your answers @XFoxPrower & @BigOnYa , I really had a doubt about the procedure to follow for reinstalling the hard drive but thanks to your advice, now, for me, it has become clear. :)

Regarding the equipment I bought, here is what I took exactly:

- A KSB0812HE fan for super slim PS3
ps3-fan.jpg

- A Thermal Grizzly syringe
thermal-paste.jpg

- A Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (CT500MX500SSD1)
ssd-crucial.jpg

I'm going to start with this to do the repair and to make sure that this console is stable and that there are no other problems apart from those that I have encountered so far.

And I think that subsequently, either I will switch to a 1TB SSD with the installation of a HEN, or I will buy another PS3 compatible with an Evilnat CFW in order to have full access to the machine, I don't know not yet, I have to study all this and find out a little more about the possible jailbreaks on this console.

My first challenge will be the repair, that’s already a good start! :D

Once again thank you guys for taking the time to read and respond, it's really cool :)

Indy13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@BigOnYa & @XFoxPrower

Just a quick message to say that your advice was really useful to me, I will have to do it much sooner because my problem has been resolved for a few months now but the repair went well and my PS3 works perfectly now !

Thx Dudes !

• Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol