GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are firmware updates for a reason. It is an issue for current online games, but newer games can just use the newer libraries and it would take care of the problem completely. And even then, older games can just release a patch.

TmP_stryk

Still I Rise™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.still-i-rise.com
XP
Country
United States
i put this in the wrong section - didnt notice till now
biggrin.gif

nywho -- found this interesting...makes sense.....

"Sorry but a "firmware update" isn't a magic genie that answers all hopes and prayers. There is just so much that can be done with "updates". If the inherent structure isn't there (and it isn't with the PS3's online), no amount of firmware updates are going to matter one bit.

Fact is...as more and more developers start to come up with their own "friend systems", you are going to see a more scattered and convuluted online experience with the PS3.

The PS3 will never EVER come anywhere near as good as the 360 (or XBOX) in terms of online play.

And that is HUGE.

Sony loses."

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i put this in the wrong section - didnt notice till now
biggrin.gif

nywho -- found this interesting...makes sense.....

"Sorry but a "firmware update" isn't a magic genie that answers all hopes and prayers. There is just so much that can be done with "updates". If the inherent structure isn't there (and it isn't with the PS3's online), no amount of firmware updates are going to matter one bit.

Fact is...as more and more developers start to come up with their own "friend systems", you are going to see a more scattered and convuluted online experience with the PS3.

The PS3 will never EVER come anywhere near as good as the 360 (or XBOX) in terms of online play.

And that is HUGE.

Sony loses."
A firmware update can change the way the PS3 works. Who says they can't change the network itself? Its not that hard. The only problem is that the developers weren't kept informed on the status with the online with PS3. Games can always be patched to use new features. And the PS3 is very modular as was the PSP. It is easy to change alot of things with firmware. Developers won't need to do anything with friend systems if Sony gets off their asses and makes their own unified Friend system. Developers can then patch it into their games later. But then again, this is all up to Sony. I'd say that if they don't fix this issue soon though, it WILL be bad for the online. As it is, it can be fixed.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Live is nice, and I hope they do fix it. Not being able to communicate in-game other than spewing invites to people kinda ruins any sense of community. But it is possible for them to fix, its just a matter of when and if its a big enough issue for them to worry about it.. They do have a unified login system, which is good, but if it doesn't serve any purpose other than being the only username you have to use, such as friend lists and leaderboards and such, it doesn't feel very community inspired.

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they were smart, for times sake they'd outsource this problem to someone else to fix, like xfire or someone who already has an online "connect to the game your friend is playing" system.

That would be kinda neat to be on your PC and see that one of your friends is playing PS3.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ya, I was hoping they'd go for Xfire for a while. But from what I've read, they (Sony) already have their friends list software done, but the developers weren't kept informed enough so many in-development games are using outdated libraries. Its going to be an issue unless the devs decide to change it or release a patch. Sony should have put the online in a higher priority than what they have been doing.

Edit - Found the quote.

QUOTE said:
...Only within the last three weeks has Neversoft received its PS3 beta kits...Neversoft is confident the PS3 version of the game will ship at launch in November, but it still hasn't received all of the software libraries and has no indication of how the online components will work on PS3, so it's not offering them. For a software company that's always supported the PlayStation system and was, in fact, the first developer to offer online play on PS2 with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, that's saying something. Neversoft wouldn't explain any further, but it's clear to this reporter that if Neversoft "could go online with the PS3 version, it would.".....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds.