PS4 Code Execution + Basic Homebrew

amdKr4W.jpg

A few weeks ago, around the 19th of August, a developer known as CTurt managed to run unsigned code on his PS4 by using the Webkit exploit which was patched after 1.76. A couple weeks later, he announced that he managed to create the "first" PS4 homebrew: A version of Pong. Controlled by a Nintendo DS:

On release, CTurt mentions a few things about his basic homebrew. First, he's using a Nintendo DS because developers currently "can’t use the official controller library”. Secondly, the homebrew itself is being rendered in an HTML5 canvas, since developers have no access to PS4 rendering routines, which somewhat limits the current possibilities of this hack. He also announced he was working on getting a homebrew loader started as well, so others might enjoy his basic software. That is, if they've kept their PS4 on 1.76 or lower.

Pretty good first step in the PS4 world of hacking, right?

But that's not all folks, because a few days ago, CTurt has again announced and released another basic PS4 homebrew: A port of his own Gameboy emulator, Cinoop. Similar to his Pong release, this emulator runs through an HTML5 canvas and requires a Nintendo DS to control, but it's still quite impressive nonetheless.

As of now, the workings of the webkit exploit and the homebrew apps are limited to developers and very experienced users, and of course anyone above firmware 1.76 can't use the webkit exploit required, it's definitely nice to see something as "new" as the PS4 receiving some attention in the homebrew department already.

:arrow:Code Execution Source
:arrow:Pong Source
:arrow:Gameboy Emulator Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you working on/going to work the xbone too?

Why? Xbone is getting the windows' universal app store soon. And even if they remove emulators from the official store, a dozen or so Microsoft official have already stated you will be able to side-load your own apps. I expect to see fully functional nes through playstation emulators ported from windows, rt, windows phone 7 and android to the universal windows platform within 6-12 months and work nearly perfectly on the xbone. Even though we will have to most likely side-load them.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? Xbone is getting the windows' universal app store soon. And even if they remove emulators from the official store, a dozen or so Microsoft official have already stated you will be able to side-load your own apps. I expect to see fully functional nes through playstation emulators ported from windows, rt, windows phone 7 and android to the universal windows platform within 6-12 months and work nearly perfectly on the xbone. Even though we will have to most likely side-load them.

Doesn't the xbone have same DRM attached to it like windows 10 does? I can't see microsoft letting anyone run that kind of code on the system, then again I haven't heard if any newer emus work on windows 10 let alone the ones that haven't been updated in a long time.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't the xbone have same DRM attached to it like windows 10 does? I can't see microsoft letting anyone run that kind of code on the system, then again I haven't heard if any newer emus work on windows 10 let alone the ones that haven't been updated in a long time.
everything works fine in my end in win10 lol.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mean to derail off topic or anything :P I just asked if it could be done, I think the 360 emulators weren't that good anyways.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder, wouldn't it be easier to try and make an Emulator of PS4 on PC rather than cracking it?
Sony is really paranoid after the PSP, they're so paranoid they completely ruined the Vita, and the
PS4 hardware is exactly the same as PC so I'm thinking, rather than cracking an impossible
encryption, emulation could be the answer from now on...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder, wouldn't it be easier to try and make an Emulator of PS4 on PC rather than cracking it?
Sony is really paranoid after the PSP, they're so paranoid they completely ruined the Vita, and the
PS4 hardware is exactly the same as PC so I'm thinking, rather than cracking an impossible
encryption, emulation could be the answer from now on...
The PS4 hardware is not identical to a PC's and emulating a machine of that caliber is a pipedream on current PC's. Virtualization might work out, or even direct porting on certain setups, but just have a look at how it worked out on the original Xbox - "emulation" of the system is barely functional.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
The PS4 hardware is not identical to a PC's and emulating a machine of that caliber is a pipedream on current PC's. Virtualization might work out, or even direct porting on certain setups, but just have a look at how it worked out on the original Xbox - "emulation" of the system is barely functional.

It would be really cool if companies just cracked open their consoles after 15 years or so and people could
Homebrew in peace and every game can be stored for historical value but they're so greedy they would rather see every PS4 burn before that

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It would be really cool if companies just cracked open their consoles after 15 years or so and people could Homebrew in peace and every game can be stored for historical value but they're so greedy they would rather see every PS4 burn before that
Good Guy Sony used to do that, actually - the PS1 had a NetYaroze edition for homebrewers, the PS2 had a Linux kit and the PS3 originally launched with OtherOS, so you could develop for all three since Day 1. Then GeoHot came along, exposed a security hole in OtherOS allowing kernel access and thus piracy and Sony's been stingy ever since.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Good Guy Sony used to do that, actually - the PS1 had a NetYaroze edition for homebrewers, the PS2 had a Linux kit and the PS3 originally launched with OtherOS, so you could develop for all three since Day 1. Then GeoHot came along, exposed a security hole in OtherOS allowing kernel access and thus piracy and Sony's been stingy ever since.

Wow that sucks, I guess there's noway to stop that one person from taking things too far so Sony has to completely lock down. I understand companies need security to survive but Sony has also taken it to the extreme charging consumers a massive
amount of money for the Vita memory cards, killing it in the process. Maybe Sony could do something with Videogame
streaming but the prices in PSnow are ridiculous too...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: