PS4 controller to include LCD touch-screen, bio-metric sensors?

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh Sony... Sony... Sony.. How you cease to surprise me brah.

On the other hand it was inspired once again!

LoL I know its a rumor but I honestly won't be suprised!

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not a next gen console though. wiiU hardware is half a decade outdated. For 400 dollars you could make a basic computer that would outperform it massively. It's basically the system that should have come out when the wii did.
No shit you could do that, but would it play Wii U games? Would it have the features a Wii U offers? No.
Why would you compare a full fledged PC to a device that has only one focus: To play video games?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you actually looked at what copying actually has made possible?

Hate Apple all you want, but without their iPhone and iPad, the touch screen interface wouldn't have been revolutionized as we know it. Sure someone may have got it right at some point, but that just isn't the fact as we stand. If you think touch screens on a huge tablet are Nintendo's invention for gaming, look at the iPhone popularity for games and the tons of games already available for it. Sure the DS did have a touch screen, but the iPad/iPhone has loads more possibilities due to better hardware. Making games for the WiiU is pretty straight forward in some parts, since proven concepts with a touchscreen interface exist.

Looking at the controllers of made for different consoles, I'd say pretty much everyone has copied Sony's original DualShock concept with the analogs. Sure people did have analogs, but the best usability was with the PSS controller released in '97? (probably till the 360 controller? Many favor it over the PS3 controller).

There is always someone who does it first, but the tech behind future solutions is usually widely different. If you think that Sony's position in the handheld/console market it easy, congratulations, you've just about missed the last 20-25 years in the console/handheld market. Regardless of how bad/good Nintendo has done in home consoles, the handheld market has been dominated by Nintendo for pretty much ever. Sony is probably one of the first real contestants here, so I'm glad I can use another option instead of the 3DS. Not that it's bad, but just because all consoles have their shortcomings.

If people really think that copying a working concept and perhaps making it better is bad, then I hope you like driving your coal powered cars. Or perhaps writing your replies to this thread via pen & paper and sending the stuff to Costello to post in a board somewhere.

As for the controller itself, I kind like the WiiU controller. It's huge and very cumbersome in some situations, but works pretty nice in others (Animal Crossing/Luigi's Mansion/Pikmin in NintendoLand for example). An inventory of some sorts would be cool for most games, but I'd hate to actually have to use that for longer gaming sessions. The WiiU Classic Controller Pro on the other hand.. One of the best controllers ever, but still possibly lacking a bit behind the 360.

ps. I'm a bit tired ATM, but thought I'd put a little wall of text here. Not everyone is a Nintendo/Sony/MS/whatever fanboy, but laughing at the other side for making valid points and possibly making your points moot is not what I'd look for. I know I have a bad habit of doing the wrong thing on occasions, but lets try being civil to each other. Otherwise someone will some day hurt another persons feelings and we may loose good members.

I disagree. Sony didn't really make anything that they have copied from Nintendo much better really. The only thing one could argue as being an improvement over a Nintendo original design would be the Playstation Move, which I believe is far more accurate with good quality games, the Wii remote to this day as response issues that Nintendo never did rectify.

If Sony were innovating, they wouldn't be failing with their portable platforms, the Vita has been nothing short of a horrendous failure and the PSP took it's whole life to become a marginal success while the PS3 is just hitting stride and passing the 360 for sales. But it just goes to show you that brand loyalty AND innovation are what make or break a console. Nintendo continues to push the limits of what we deem possible with gaming, and they are making lots of money off it.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
How does that even work? See, this is one of those retarded patents that I'm absolutely againts - you shouldn't be able to patent a logical concept, when you put a screen on your controller, you obviously want to put things that are beyond what you see on your normal screen on it. That kind of patenting slows down progress of the industry - it's like Apple and black rectangles all over again.

I sincerely hope they'll find a legal "workaround" for this issue.
First off, is a panoramic view even feasible on this PS4 controller screen? Is the screen big enough to warrant being a viewfinder? Would it matter if it was forced to not do stuff the way Nintendo is doing stuff? Can't they just be creative and find another way to do it without taking everything the other camp did?

Of course, it's always easier to just take everything the other camp did and add some more buttons. And maybe a thermometer, and a barometer. And some other meters we might not know off (Higgs Boson detector, anyone?).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well nintendo have a patent on panorama view (moving the gamepad to see a diffrent perspective to what is shown on the television screen), so if this ps3 gamepad with lcd screen comes true, all it will be used for is touch menus, maps, etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/27/3807240/nintendo-granted-patent-for-wii-u-panorama-view-feature
But Sony has a similar patent too.

wchHoMO.png

This whole "patenting" business is basically covering your ass so another company couldn't sue you, but it doesn't actually prevent two or more people patenting the exact same concept with slightly different wording.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you actually looked at what copying actually has made possible?

Hate Apple all you want, but without their iPhone and iPad, the touch screen interface wouldn't have been revolutionized as we know it. Sure someone may have got it right at some point, but that just isn't the fact as we stand. If you think touch screens on a huge tablet are Nintendo's invention for gaming, look at the iPhone popularity for games and the tons of games already available for it. Sure the DS did have a touch screen, but the iPad/iPhone has loads more possibilities due to better hardware. Making games for the WiiU is pretty straight forward in some parts, since proven concepts with a touchscreen interface exist.

I agree, except that Nintendo was the first to apply that touch screen tech to mainstream handled gaming ( back in 2004 ) when they released the DS.
Again, they took a huge gamble for the sake of innovation, and it could easily have been a disaster ( so much that they didn't even call it Game Boy 2 or Advance 2 etc. etc., they ditched the name and created a disposable 3rd pillar just in case things would go wrong ) as there was NOTHING out there at the time offering main stream video games on a touch screen handled with dedicated controls ( it still there isn't if you look hard, only the recently released Vita comes close )!

So it's about taking existent tech, and finding new, exciting ways to apply it to video games for a new expereice.
And say what you want, but Nintendo are #1 at that.
Proverbially, Nintendo plays with ideas for years, and then eventually they release something worth wile.
Look at the Mii, they had that kind of experimental software on the NES according to Myamoto, but they only got it right once the Wii technology became available, and it became so much of a hit, that others followed the lead ( look at the 360 avatars ).

Again, Nintendo leads.

D

Deleted_171835

I agree, except that Nintendo was the first to apply that touch screen tech to mainstream handled gaming ( back in 2004 ) when they released the DS.
Again, they took a huge gamble for the sake of innovation, and it could easily have been a disaster ( so much that they didn't even call it Game Boy 2 or Advance 2 etc. etc., they ditched the name and created a disposable 3rd pillar just in case things would go wrong
Actually, the DS wasn't supposed to be a "third pillar". That was just Nintendo trying to cover their asses in case the DS failed horribly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nope. They weren't. They were just the first to market it well and design it in a very comfortable fashion. In Game.com times, touchscreens were very "meh" and Tapwave Zodiac wasn't very popular. Still, touchscreens were used on portable consoles before the DS.

The GUI for Windows was totally ripped from Xerox, the true innovators.
Uhh... that's debatable. Xerox was the first to come up with the idea of using windows, but the GUI itself is quite different.

UenviDI.jpg
Xerox Alto

See?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As for "shorter pipelines", I really hope this was a terrible metaphor. Computers are not a series of tubes.
About pipelines, from Wiki:
In 3D computer graphics, the terms graphics pipeline or rendering pipeline most commonly refers to the current state of the art method of rasterization-based rendering as supported by commodity graphics hardware[1]. The graphics pipeline typically accepts some representation of a three-dimensional primitive as input and results in a 2D raster image as output. OpenGL and Direct3D are two notable 3d graphic standards, both describing very similar graphic pipelines.

and here's a diagram of such pipeline. (OpenGL with shaders)
Now, a shorter pipeline would mean less steps and operations, possibly making it faster... (That, I am not sure of though)

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah we won't talk about like... Microsoft Windows or anything.
I don't think that when we are talking about games and someone says "Microsoft" or "Sony" he needs to explicitly say "Microsoft Game Studios" or "Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc."

so no... we won't be talking about Microsoft windows when we are talking about Microsoft Game Studios

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, the DS wasn't supposed to be a "third pillar". That was just Nintendo trying to cover their asses in case the DS failed horribly.

Thanks, that's exactly what I said in my post, now we both count 2 more ;)

......... it could easily have been a disaster ( so much that they didn't even call it Game Boy 2 or Advance 2 etc. etc., they ditched the name and created a disposable 3rd pillar just in case things would go wrong )......[/quote

Nope. They weren't. They were just the first to market it well and design it in a very comfortable fashion. In Game.com times, touchscreens were very "meh" and Tapwave Zodiac wasn't very popular. Still, touchscreens were used on portable consoles before the DS.

Again, that's exactly what I said, they were the first to bring it to the masses in other words.
That's what I meant by " there was NOTHING out there at the time offering main stream video games on a touch screen handled with dedicated controls"

Geez......can you guys still read a full post before pointing out the obvious ? :huh:

Reactions: KingVamp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious