PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
This just in, PlayStation 4 now natively compatible with PlayStation 1 (including Pocket Station), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable (UMD as well as Digital via MSPD and M2 support) and PlayStation Vita (via cartridge as well as memory card support), here's the leaked photo of the system:
s8LjDDl.jpg
I see they improved the controller, no 4k support there though.

As a side note, the terminal in that pic seems to have a picture of a guy flexing his arm and another pointing at the camera.....

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously, who gives a shit if its backwards compatible or not? You buy a new console to experience new things, not to play the stuff thats come out over the past 10 years on what would then be an inferior machine! BC is not a right nor should it be expected. Just keep your existing PS3 for use with your old PS3 stuff.

When the PS3 came out I was gutted it didnt have PS2 compatibility and this bothered me no end for about ummmmm 12 months. And now, I couldnt give a toss about anything PS2. Anything I wanted to play I played during that era and if i want to play it again for some reason, I'd hunt down a PS2 but guess what, I havent and I have no desire to.

Times move on. PS4 comes out, either keep both consoles or dont, its as simple as that. Why even bother buying a PS4 if all your concerned about is games you have already on your PS3?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This just in, PlayStation 4 now natively compatible with PlayStation 1 (including Pocket Station), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable (UMD as well as Digital via MSPD and M2 support) and PlayStation Vita (via cartridge as well as memory card support), here's the leaked photo of the system:
But what about NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360? The machine is more than capable, right? LOL PS4 will suck cuz it doesn't support other platforms! :creep:

A more serious though, people are happy with Nintendo releasing VC games and possibly charging more for a transfer from the previous gen to the next. When Sony mentions a possibility of getting all previous consoles (by Sony) available by streaming, that's a bad thing? I love how you're cramming that N64 cart in your Wii or that GC disc in your WiiU, while being happy that something is available on VC. I hope Sony names their emulation environment something along the lines of VC just to stop the bitching everywhere :3

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People who don't have the finances to pay the full price of a new console are those who would love backwards compatibility. Normally a consumer can just sell off their old console, and use the finances they get from that to fund their purchase for the new console. It's a huge incentive for people to purchase the new console, and quickly increases the adoption rate. Just because you can afford to pay the full price of the new console without any hassle whatsoever, it doesn't mean that the average consumer can afford to pay that price.

The PS3 did actually have PS2 backwards compatibility when it was first launched. Obviously the PS2 backwards compatibility was removed when the PS3 had a huge line-up of games and PS2 games were slowly phased out of the market. No point keeping expensive hardware in a console for backwards compatibility when the market has moved on. However, a market doesn't move on when the console is released. It takes time.

Hence, adoption rate will be slower.

I understand that, but in reality, if people cant afford to buy the consoles out right when they are released they should save up or only buy one when they can afford one. And at the end of the day, had they made the PS4 backwards compatible, it would have added maybe 15-20% onto the final price maybe, and all that will result in is less people buying it because of the high price. This would then lead to people moaning that PS3 compatibility shouldnt have been included to keep the cost of the new console down. Sony it seems cannot win here.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People who don't have the finances to pay the full price of a new console are those who would love backwards compatibility. Normally a consumer can just sell off their old console, and use the finances they get from that to fund their purchase for the new console. It's a huge incentive for people to purchase the new console, and quickly increases the adoption rate. Just because you can afford to pay the full price of the new console without any hassle whatsoever, it doesn't mean that the average consumer can afford to pay that price.
Hence, adoption rate will be slower.

There is a reason why used market exist. Who says you have to buy new console at full price? If you can't afford full price then go for an used one. PS2 now costs about $40 to $70 in used market, if you want to play classic PS2 games that is one way to jump on the board.

Consoles like SNES, N64, etc didn't have BC but all enjoyed financial success.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a reason why used market exist. Who says you have to buy new console at full price? If you can't afford full price then go for an used one. PS2 now costs about $40 to $70 in used market, if you want to play classic PS2 games that is one way to jump in the board.

Consoles like SNES, N64, etc didn't have BC but all enjoyed financial success.

I got my PS2 for around $60. Got my PS3 for $300 with the inFamous Collection and Uncharted Dual Pack so it was a pretty good deal.

With digital distribution as well, eventually a console becomes weak enough in power that it can just be emulated easily. So now you can just buy all the old games for $5-$15 a piece digitally.

Oh the wonders of technology.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While BC is a great bonus, it will never be a deal breaker for me. Though, I will also never spend more than $300 on a video game console so I'll likely be sticking to my Xbox 360 for the next few years...

Reactions: Rydian

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's start by saying that lots of people struggle to save up such a huge sum of money. Not that they're careless with their money, more so of the fact that for a lot of people, money matters aren't that simple. Perhaps you have an easy time with finances, so do I, but you shouldn't ignore what financial situations other people go through. Remember we're in a recession, and there has been a huge number of job losses etc. Making your console more accessible should be common sense here.

As for increasing the final price, that's not necessarily the case. Considering that console manufacturers want their console to be quickly adopted so that more developers develop for the console, it makes perfect sense to increase cost of manufacturing while keeping the price the same. The huge increase in interest of the console from the average consumer should largely offset any losses incurred from introducing backwards compatibility. If Sony thinks that the risk isn't worth it, that's fine, but it's silly to automatically assume backwards compatibility means increased final price.

If you're having a "financial situation" then video games shouldn't be your priority.

I like a cheaper console as much as the next guy but Sony aren't wizards. They can't magically make a $300 console with the hardware they're sporting. They have employees to pay too.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's start by saying that lots of people struggle to save up such a huge sum of money. Not that they're careless with their money, more so of the fact that for a lot of people, money matters aren't that simple. Perhaps you have an easy time with finances, so do I, but you shouldn't ignore what financial situations other people go through. Remember we're in a recession, and there has been a huge number of job losses etc. Making your console more accessible should be common sense here.
If you have money problem, you should be more focused on putting the food on the table than video gaming. Video gaming is not a necessity.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gotta love the "it's next gen, it must have previous gen BC!". I just bought an Xbox (hardmodded, but that was just a bonus for what I paid for it) and an Xbox 360 (Halo LE) for about 250€ in total. I've never owned a MS console before (many friends do have them though). but there are quite a few good exclusives for the consoles (the reason why I have a PS1/PS2/PSP). If you're willing to pay 400€ for a next gen console and bitch about hardware that can be bought for about half the price, you got your priorities wrong. Just buy the previous gen for cheap and enjoy next gen games on the hardware that was made to run them!

Also if your financial situation isn't good, the last thing you should be worrying about it video games. I admit that I buy more games than I can play (hoarder/collector problem.. I prefer original carts/discs instead of just the backed up data), but if my financial situation is bad, I just wait for a good deal or buy the game used.

Edit: Ninja'd by trumpet-205 :ninja:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Meh. Still have my ps3 to play on. I keep all my old consoles around anyway.

Trading in, never done it, but I didn't think they gave that much for the old console.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't big enough news to warrant its own USN thread separate of what is already being discussed in the front page PS4 thread. Besides there will be a way to stream ps1, ps2 and ps3 games to the ps4, the exact details about it have yet to be announced though. So moved.

Probably they will charge people a monthly fee or a pay per play fee. It is bad in my honest opinion even if it's free.

I think Sony did not learn with previous mistakes, The PSP GO was a failure because it did not allow people to use retail games.
And even that was better then streaming i think.. (the ps4 has the advantage over the psp go off being a new system and allowing at least the native games to run via retail..)

Streaming means that you will never own anything. It will always be available on the cloud, when they decide to remove it's gone...

Goodbye 2 hand markets, trades, etc...

But i could be wrong, i'm in fact getting old so maybe physical goods are overrated... Time will tell.

I will wait to see the comment, i just sold my PS3 due to inactivity and loads of powerful graphics but very little content... (with some exceptions off course).

The Mobile gaming market is telling people that good games do not necessarily mean Powerful systems..... A lesson Nintendo is teaching for a LONG time...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk