Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I find the PS5 interface a lot harder to deal with than PS4. There are a lot of missing options, or maybe hidden ones.

Sony said they rethought the interface to be "for the players", to be "fast to access everything".
I really don't like the new PS5 menu and how it works. like when in game, pressing PS button doesn't put the game in pause anymore but open an overlay menu unless you press and hold. The contrary to PS4, and there's no option to change that, even in accessibility menu.

My two main problems are with trophies and shared account.

Trophies:
They changed the overall look, now you don't see the trophy color anymore, but instead have a big icon for blind people. they are all horizontally listed icons, instead of easy to read name and how to unlock them.
You don't see the trophies easily when in game (no the horizontal layout is not easy). I liked seeing how much % that trophy were found by the community, to see if it was a common or a rare trophy. but now, it's hidden in 3 sub menus !
When you get a trophy in game, you see a notification you got one. You have to press PS button, to "extend" the trophy info, which only gives you a % of how much trophy you completed in that game : like I care I am at 30% of unlocking all the trophies!! I want to know what it is, how I unlocked it and how rare it is.
So, on that opened popup notification you have to click further "see trophies", which opens the overlay menu where you see all the trophies horizontally, and ... still only see useless information : the icon of locked or found ones. you have to click a 3rd time to open that actual trophy you just got to see what you did to unlock it, its rarity and how much people found it...

Game list
My game list is now limited to 8 last apps and games I (or ANY other account on my console) played.
If my game is not on the last 8, I have to go to the full game library and look for it again, which is a high pain because there's no more "search" function in here. only a sort option.
instead, if you search for a game from the main menu, it looks into PSN.... and you have too much results instead of your own games from your library you just want to launch and play.

So, no more "limit game amount on main screen" option like PS4 had, it's now enabled and forced to 8 by default, and they removed the folder support.

Account sharing
even worse, the PSNow account sharing has so much bug I can't play games like I did on PS4 !!
it's officially supported, and written on sony's website : PSNow can be played from any account located on the same console than another account having PSNow and having that PS5 as principal.
The "principal" has been renamed to "share games among other users on that console" and is enabled by default. It's also explained that the PS4 setting doesn't affect the PS5 setting, so we can have both PS4 and PS5 set as principal.

But the sharing among account is now limited to the "10 last played and displayed games" list of the main screen. You can't see the PSnow games in the library's "installed" game list, NOR in the library's "PSNow" game list. I can't even display games by console type (PS3...) or type (PSnow), and only have an empty result, even though the games ARE installed on the console, just not from my account.

I have two accounts on my PS4 and my PS5, all set as principal which grant access to all games to all accounts :
A (mine) with PS+
B (my GF) with PSnow

on PS4 :
Account A cannot access PSNow and download new games, it tells "only B can install new games to the console", which is fine. Once B installed a new game, A can launch it from its account.
But A can access PSNow freely and stream any games, even if B didn't play it yet. account A can be the first to "install the stream game" to the console, even though it doesn't have PSNow but only get it from Account B.

on PS5 :
Account A cannot stream any games that B didn't play yet ! it displays "join PSNow" or "buy on PSN" instead of "stream" on that game page.
Account B can install a new "game" or a new "stream game" icon on the PS5 by launching it once (even if it didn't plan to play it), and it then appears in the last 8 played games, which is good. almost like on PS4 except it's also needed for streamed games.

So from the last 8 played games, Account A can launch them ! either installed or streamed, it works !!! Account sharing work like intended!
just that A cannot stream a game that B didn't stream yet. okay... why not.

But if the PSnow game disappears past the 8 last launched games from the limited PS5 menu, they are nowhere to be found in the library !!!! they are not in the "installed" library, even though they are installed on the console.
Account A cannot find the PSNow game anymore :(
If account A access PSNow apps, it cannot Stream NOR play already installed games.
If A does a search for that game, its found as "join PSNow to launch" instead of just "launch/stream", even though it allowed streaming before, when it was part of the last 10 launched games !

Note that this bug doesn't exist with PS+ games installed from A being properly listed in B's library in the "installed" game.

So, DO NOT let shared PSNow games disappear from the last launched games list or you'll lose access to them.
B account has to re-launch it to make it appear on the "last 8 played games", which are (somehow... and sometime) shared among accounts !

I think this is a bug with PSNow, or with Shared account.
Not being able to see the "installed" games into the "installed" menu, while they were visible on the last played games.

Maybe an update would fix that behavior later.

What I'd hope for future updates:
- Fix the bug for shared installed game not displayed in the library.
- Possibly being able to stream PSNow games again like PS4 from shared account without it being installed yet.
- If not, at least being able to launch it from the PSNow app/category, instead of seeing "join" if it's already played/installed on the console.
- Add an option to choose whether to limit game count on main screen (like PS4), or set a number !
- Add folders back (like PS4, again...). why new products are always a downgrade of existing features?

I know trophies layout won't be changed. too bad.

Edit:
current system version :
20.02-2.50.00.08-00.00.00.0.1 (WHAT happened with version number being 4 digit long ?)
is there a date ? a firmware version number ? controller firmware version ?
am I at fw 2.50.00.08 ?

Last edited by Cyan,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the way the PS5 UI looks now is really dumb and I'm seriously a bit confused when navigating around. Dumb all around but I don't play mine a lot and jump straight into a game anyways so it's not something that bothers me. I don't spend my time in the UI but I'm not a fan of it at all.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Newhouse-Estates

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find the PS5 interface a lot harder to deal with than PS4. There are a lot of missing options, or maybe hidden ones.

Sony said they rethought the interface to be "for the players", to be "fast to access everything".
I really don't like the new PS5 menu and how it works. like when in game, pressing PS button doesn't put the game in pause anymore but open an overlay menu unless you press and hold. The contrary to PS4, and there's no option to change that, even in accessibility menu.

My two main problems are with trophies and shared account.

Trophies:
They changed the overall look, now you don't see the trophy color anymore, but instead have a big icon for blind people. they are all horizontally listed icons, instead of easy to read name and how to unlock them.
You don't see the trophies easily when in game (no the horizontal layout is not easy). I liked seeing how much % that trophy were found by the community, to see if it was a common or a rare trophy. but now, it's hidden in 3 sub menus !
When you get a trophy in game, you see a notification you got one. You have to press PS button, to "extend" the trophy info, which only gives you a % of how much trophy you completed in that game : like I care I am at 30% of unlocking all the trophies!! I want to know what it is, how I unlocked it and how rare it is.
So, on that opened popup notification you have to click further "see trophies", which opens the overlay menu where you see all the trophies horizontally, and ... still only see useless information : the icon of locked or found ones. you have to click a 3rd time to open that actual trophy you just got to see what you did to unlock it, its rarity and how much people found it...

Game list
My game list is now limited to 8 last apps and games I (or ANY other account on my console) played.
If my game is not on the last 8, I have to go to the full game library and look for it again, which is a high pain because there's no more "search" function in here. only a sort option.
instead, if you search for a game from the main menu, it looks into PSN.... and you have too much results instead of your own games from your library you just want to launch and play.

So, no more "limit game amount on main screen" option like PS4 had, it's now enabled and forced to 8 by default, and they removed the folder support.

Account sharing
even worse, the PSNow account sharing has so much bug I can't play games like I did on PS4 !!
it's officially supported, and written on sony's website : PSNow can be played from any account located on the same console than another account having PSNow and having that PS5 as principal.
The "principal" has been renamed to "share games among other users on that console" and is enabled by default. It's also explained that the PS4 setting doesn't affect the PS5 setting, so we can have both PS4 and PS5 set as principal.

But the sharing among account is now limited to the "10 last played and displayed games" list of the main screen. You can't see the PSnow games in the library's "installed" game list, NOR in the library's "PSNow" game list. I can't even display games by console type (PS3...) or type (PSnow), and only have an empty result, even though the games ARE installed on the console, just not from my account.

I have two accounts on my PS4 and my PS5, all set as principal which grant access to all games to all accounts :
A (mine) with PS+
B (my GF) with PSnow

on PS4 :
Account A cannot access PSNow and download new games, it tells "only B can install new games to the console", which is fine. Once B installed a new game, A can launch it from its account.
But A can access PSNow freely and stream any games, even if B didn't play it yet. account A can be the first to "install the stream game" to the console, even though it doesn't have PSNow but only get it from Account B.

on PS5 :
Account A cannot stream any games that B didn't play yet ! it displays "join PSNow" or "buy on PSN" instead of "stream" on that game page.
Account B can install a new "game" or a new "stream game" icon on the PS5 by launching it once (even if it didn't plan to play it), and it then appears in the last 8 played games, which is good. almost like on PS4 except it's also needed for streamed games.

So from the last 8 played games, Account A can launch them ! either installed or streamed, it works !!! Account sharing work like intended!
just that A cannot stream a game that B didn't stream yet. okay... why not.

But if the PSnow game disappears past the 8 last launched games from the limited PS5 menu, they are nowhere to be found in the library !!!! they are not in the "installed" library, even though they are installed on the console.
Account A cannot find the PSNow game anymore :(
If account A access PSNow apps, it cannot Stream NOR play already installed games.
If A does a search for that game, its found as "join PSNow to launch" instead of just "launch/stream", even though it allowed streaming before, when it was part of the last 10 launched games !

Note that this bug doesn't exist with PS+ games installed from A being properly listed in B's library in the "installed" game.

So, DO NOT let shared PSNow games disappear from the last launched games list or you'll lose access to them.
B account has to re-launch it to make it appear on the "last 8 played games", which are (somehow... and sometime) shared among accounts !

I think this is a bug with PSNow, or with Shared account.
Not being able to see the "installed" games into the "installed" menu, while they were visible on the last played games.

Maybe an update would fix that behavior later.

What I'd hope for future updates:
- Fix the bug for shared installed game not displayed in the library.
- Possibly being able to stream PSNow games again like PS4 from shared account without it being installed yet.
- If not, at least being able to launch it from the PSNow app/category, instead of seeing "join" if it's already played/installed on the console.
- Add an option to choose whether to limit game count on main screen (like PS4), or set a number !
- Add folders back (like PS4, again...). why new products are always a downgrade of existing features?

I know trophies layout won't be changed. too bad.

Edit:
current system version :
20.02-2.50.00.08-00.00.00.0.1 (WHAT happened with version number being 4 digit long ?)
is there a date ? a firmware version number ? controller firmware version ?
am I at fw 2.50.00.08 ?
I think I'm finally getting used to it after a few week but id have to agree and say i hope they make further adjustments. One thing i still can't get used to is having to hold the ps button and just tapping it is kinda switched lol

Reactions: Cyan

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have to agree that it's a bit difficult to navigate on the ps5. there are a lot of missing options compared with the ps4. had to look up where the easiest way to add friends was: game base when pressing the ps button. I like how fast it is though. the only thing that does kinda irritate me or maybe there's a way to turn this off, but I've been playing ratchet and clank, the ps5 version, and whenever you come back from rest mode, it goes to some series of tiles with percentages that you have to exit out of to get to the game. I don't know what series of tiles is. think it's how far you've progressed on each planet, so it may be a ratchet and clank thing. @KiiWii , I know you've played the game, do you know what I'm talking about?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a video of the PS5 Menu and it looks a lot like PS4's, which in my opinion, isn't a good thinv. My favorite is still XMB (was used only on PS3s and PSX systems).

Would have been nice if XMB had been on PS4s.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think the psp was also done by Kutaragi, who may have been a star trek fan, as there are components on it labeled Kirk and Spock. that's why the baryon sweeper is named as it is. it's also from star trek.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, Mark Cerny is the one who's been compared to the church lady of Dana Carvey on snl with his youtube video of how the ps5 ui works. he does have a striking resemblance. haha.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never liked the xmb. that's why I have the ozone version of retroarch on the minis. that's the switch version of ordering things. I think retroarch now calls the xmb look, amped, now. what I don't like is both the ps5 and the switch not going into the game directly from rest or sleep mode. you have to press A when it shows the game tile icon on the switch, and with the ps5, you have to press the ps button on a series of tiles that show percentages (think it's trophy percentages). I don't think the ps4 did this, but I like the ps5 look more aside from that.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never liked the xmb. that's why I have the ozone version of retroarch on the minis. that's the switch version of ordering things. I think retroarch now calls the xmb look, amped, now. what I don't like is both the ps5 and the switch not going into the game directly from rest or sleep mode. you have to press A when it shows the game tile icon on the switch, and with the ps5, you have to press the ps button on a series of tiles that show percentages (think it's trophy percentages). I don't think the ps4 did this, but I like the ps5 look more aside from that.
What do you mean by minis?

Years and years ago I hated XMB, now I really appreciate it exists as it has zero ads, can be organized and works like a charm.

My sister has a PS4 and it confuses me how the menu works, and I've used it a couple of times.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do not really dislike the UI as a whole, i just would like to be given complete control at what shows at my dashboard and how its organized. Also more Sorting functions in the Library like Genre or Tags that you could set yourself and FRICKIN FOLDERS ALREADY also a seperate Search function just for your library.

And I also Really rally miss the UI of the PSP. It was so customizable(if hacked) you could customize nearly everything. I really would like that back. I like to give my Tech my own personal Touch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1