Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
As you might know, the Wii Shop Channel is closing on January 30th. I want to make some things clear about what the future will look like without it.

How will I get games now?

Since there is no legitimate way to pay for games anymore, I think it's time to just install WADs now. I have a collection of WADs that match up to the database of No-Intro, with some missing games recently added. I guess I can explain No-Intro as a database with hashes of "good" content, but my collection actually has the real content. I can't link it here, though. Note that I am PRESERVING the content.

I have some remaining Wii Points, is there anything I can buy to help you out?

No thanks, we've got everything that we could get.

What about the storefront on the Wii Shop Channel? Is that archived?

Yes. The Wii Shop Channel uses HTML and we've backed up a good amount of stuff from it. This includes screenshots, icons, and manuals of games.

Will the Wii Shop Channel be closed forever on January 30th?

Only purchasing games will not be possible anymore, and you can still redownload games.

I heard that video streaming services are shutting down too. Is that true? Are you going to bring them back?

According to Netflix, it is. It sucks that they are shutting down too. We are not bringing them back, it would likely be illegal to even do that. Try using a different device for video streaming.

What else has been done?

I have made an almost-complete backup of the Wii CDN, which has all of the encrypted game contents. That is on No-Intro too. It's about 300GB.

Are you bringing the Wii Shop Channel back?

Kind of. There's a project going on called "Open Shop Channel" that is supposed to give you access to a shop with homebrew on it. It's not out yet.

I'm sad!

It's sad to see an end of an era with the Wii Shop Channel, but I have spent time to preserve everything on the Wii Shop Channel for future generations. It might not be perfect, but I have done all I can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ