Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am very new to the Switch Hacking scene. I ordered a Jig from Amazon yesterday and hope to join in on the fun early next week. Anyway, how should I go about avoiding updating? Is it as easy as keeping system in airplane mode? Any help greatly appreciated :)
Not just airplane mode, but go to the network settings and untick “connect automatically” or delete your WiFi setting.

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I cannot not replay dark souls remastered because my PS4 is on 5.05. Lets hope the switch version does not require 6.0...

tiliarou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I cannot not replay dark souls remastered because my PS4 is on 5.05. Lets hope the switch version does not require 6.0...
We can already spoof version requirement of games, so unless game format changes, there is no way 6.x will be a problem anytime soon.

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Games will soon have new master key, that's true, but the version requirement check was bypassed already which is a different issue.

But what good will bypass do if game has new master key? Will the new master key not make it unplayble?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what good will bypass do if game has new master key? Will the new master key not make it unplayble?
Yes it will be unplayable. The sysversion bypass method eliminated system version requirements on the same master key.
So for example:
A system on 2.1.0 normally wouldn't be able to boot 2.3.0 splatoon 2, but both system versions are on the same master key.
With the bypass method we can make it so that 2.3.0 Splatoon 2 will boot on 2.1.0, since they share the same master key.
But games of a higher master key, like 3.0.0 Pokken would not be playable on 2.1.0 since that uses a newer master key.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Team xecuter has a lot of work ahead , they havent finished the hacking for the new Switch that doesnt have the rcm mode , and still up ahead a new firmware .
I just hope they sold a lot of their products , in my behalf i made 2 friends bought the sx pro .

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes it will be unplayable. The sysversion bypass method eliminated system version requirements on the same master key.
So for example:
A system on 2.1.0 normally wouldn't be able to boot 2.3.0 splatoon 2, but both system versions are on the same master key.
With the bypass method we can make it so that 2.3.0 Splatoon 2 will boot on 2.1.0, since they share the same master key.
But games of a higher master key, like 3.0.0 Pokken would not be able to be played on 2.1.0 since that uses a new master key.

Oke. I would love to know more about how masterkey works in gaming/console. Any place I can read about it?
I know masterkey from encryption/decryption. If I encrypt my data with masterkey and change the masterkey all the older records need to be updated. How come Nintendo can change masterkey, yet older games keep working?
Are there more masterkeys stored inside the console?

Last edited by lolboy,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oke. I would love to know more about how masterkey works in gaming/console. Any place I can read about it?
I know master key from encryption/decryption. If I encrypt my data with masterkey and change the masterkey all the older records need to be updated. How come Nintendo can change masterkey, yet older games keep working?
Are there more masterkeys stored inside the console?
I don't know all that much of how they work, but most of what I do know about them comes from here:
http://switchbrew.org/index.php/Cryptosystem#Keyblob

There are a total of 32 masterkeys in the switch. All unused ones can't be read until Ninty makes them used. Currently 5 have been used.
You can look at the keyblob/masterkey table at the bottom of that page I linked to see which firmwares they cover.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,
Reactions: lolboy

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has me seriously just considering buying a used switch (maybe pre-banned) and just doing my piracy on that. After I buy a Vita, because my PSP is dying.

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys. I am very new to the Switch Hacking scene. I ordered a Jig from Amazon yesterday and hope to join in on the fun early next week. Anyway, how should I go about avoiding updating? Is it as easy as keeping system in airplane mode? Any help greatly appreciated :)
Easiest: do not connect your Switch to a wi-fi network, if you set one, remove it

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not the actions of advising people not to update, that's common sense. It's the claims behind the update that I am calling into question. Gary has a long history of baseless claims, that when the time came never delivered.

but he and TX delivered with the SX Pro

Just because you are choosing to ignore his history, doesn't make you correct. He created a history of making baseless claims or just flat lying when there was nothing to gain from lying (like claiming the Gateway team wasn't involved with Stargate. Or claiming the community devs helped the Gateway Team with the CFW update for for Stargate, when it was really just one dude on his forums.) I don't know his motivation behind his actions, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a history. Maybe what he says will happen in 6.0, but we won't know until hits. Until then I am going to be skeptical of any claims he makes until proven otherwise.

like you said you don't know what his motivation was behind his actions, but did his actions effect you or anyone else?, I doubt it, he had his reasons whatever they were.

I've got 2 gateway cards,my kids have had many years of use from them, what you've posted doesn't effect me or anyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk