Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please check if there's any language update for OS? I am specifically asking for korean, since my korean friends are crying since day 1 of the console release.
I don’t know if any of these are Korean, but these are the languages that have names that I can’t read in 6.0
DchQ0BG.jpg

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don’t know if any of these are Korean, but these are the languages that have names that I can’t read in 6.0
DchQ0BG.jpg
the last one is korean

Looks like two types of Japanese and the last one is Korean.
damn, ninjad. the two above korean are traditional and simplified chinese though, japanese is the one above that

Last edited by ut2k4master,

manzhen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Oh okey, yeah that makes sense. I wonder if one of them might be Cantonese as well?
Cantonese and Mandarin use the same written Chinese. One is simplified Chinese (mainland), the other one is traditional chinese (HK and Taiwan) :ha:
It's great that Nintendo consoles finally have some Chinese translations in them, they're really stepping up this time around.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great that Nintendo consoles finally have some Chinese translations in them, they're really stepping up this time around.

Why is there a / english. It almost seems to imply that everything isn't translated and just defaults back to english for those.

manzhen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Why is there a / english. It almost seems to imply that everything isn't translated and just defaults back to english for those.
Because you're right, half of it ins't translated actually. As in, the Switch OS itself is still in English. But most games will default to Chinese once launched (Zelda, Mario Kart, ...). It's not perfect yet, but such a vast improvement already. It's pretty nice to have official translations.
Sorry for the off-topic.

YeetedOn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you! Now all I have to do is listen to the poor korean souls screaming in agony.

Edit: esentially what the "Korean/English" means is that there isn't going to be any korean language implementation on OS any time soon, which is what the korean lads were hoping for. Sorry for the off-topic by the way.

Last edited by YeetedOn,

RobotVM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing since there is an option for Keyboards the messaging system is true. Is there any changes to the home screen layout?

mechbearcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Enlighten the noob in me..

Killing XCI/NSP usage in 6.0 + forcing future games / updates to have 6.0 as a compulsory firmware = killing piracy outright right? i.e. You could stay on an older firmware but you wouldnt be able to launch any games that require >6.0

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enlighten the noob in me..

Killing XCI/NSP usage in 6.0 + forcing future games / updates to have 6.0 as a compulsory firmware = killing piracy outright right? i.e. You could stay on an older firmware but you wouldnt be able to launch any games that require >6.0
For the time being, its a temporary fix Nintendo implemented. This isn't the first time a firmware update killed hacks used in the scene. On top of that, we have an exploit that gives us access to the entire console so eventually there will be fixes for everything so people can update to firmware 6.0 safely. However, given that the firmware isn't even officially released yet, there is absolutely no reason for end-users to update preemptively.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well Nintendo does like updating that number much faster seeing ps4 is still at the magic nr 5 after all those extra years compared to the switch already being at 6.0

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I update now, I will get 6.0.0?
No, 6.0 is not available for public download yet. At this rate, it'll only be a few days before its available for everyone to get. However, I would highly recommend setting up a DNS server to block updates so you don't download the 6.0 firmware update files when it does officially release. So far, it does break certain aspects of CFW/homebrew if installed.

Here is a link to one I personally recommend: https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: Adran_Marit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i did that in the morning but with vinegar
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hey guys.
    +2
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    anyone here know how to use METEO?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It's very simple.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo is like an AVI-to-GBA converter. Just drag-and-drop your AVI file in, and then convert.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, like those gba carts that have movies and tv episodes in them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But Nintendo's GBA video format is different, being that it uses a custom ROM and chipset for rendering, for like the Shrek and Shark Tale titles. Been undumpable for years and years.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo uses it's own player.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, those roms are dumped currently, right?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although it's kinda pointless to download them anyway since you get the movies in horrible quality
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yep, they are now, but it took a shit ton of RE'ing.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RE = reverse engineering
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, can you remind me what reverse engineering meant pls?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Reverse engineering, to put it simply, is to understand how the software or hardware was made.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol someone tried using my email to log into Nintendo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, is that through trial and error sometimes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, did you enter any sus site?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. He "Entered the Dragon" looking for Bruce
    +1
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    sorry i was away for a while
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    I know how to use meteo
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    but its not working
    Brohann @ Brohann: but its not working