PSP 3000 freezes when exiting PSP games using the PS button on ARK-4 with the Inferno Cache and Force Extra Memory settings set to Always

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
`Despertar del Cementerio` is a tool that lets you, among other things, unbrick PSPs, install CFW and boot CFW from memory stick. DC-ARK is this tool ported to use ARK.

OK, but what do you mean by LEDA plugin (whatever that is) on it having been fixed in ARK 4.20.14 when DC-ARK is a tool? How can plugins work on it when it's used to unbrick PSPs, install CFW and boot CFW from Memory Stick?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, but in that case, what do you mean by LEDA plugin (whatever that is) on it having been fixed in ARK 4.20.14 when DC is a tool? How can plugins work on it when it's used to unbrick PSPs, install CFW and boot CFW from Memory Stick?
Running ARK, or any other CFW, on the memory stick (DC-ARK) is different from running on from flash as it is normally intended, it contains new modules and patches to allow the PSP Firmware to load its files from memory stick instead of flash.
LEDA is a plugin that patches od 1.50 homebrew to work on later firmwares and it happens to contain a patch that was conflicting with Time Machine patches (the module that lets ARK run in a memory stick).

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Running ARK, or any other CFW, on the memory stick (DC-ARK) is different from running on from flash as it is normally intended, it contains new modules and patches to allow the PSP Firmware to load its files from memory stick instead of flash.
LEDA is a plugin that patches od 1.50 homebrew to work on later firmwares and it happens to contain a patch that was conflicting with Time Machine patches (the module that lets ARK run in a memory stick).

What are the advantages of running ARK-4 from the Memory Stick? OK, but I still don't get how can plugins be run when using DC-ARK. I thought plugins were ran in XMB and when playing games.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Was the issue on PS Vita's standalone ARK-4 fixed? Does PSP's ARK-4 FTP server work? Does running Adrenaline's ARK-4 crash the PS Vita like running PS Vita's standalone ARK-4? Why does the Recovery Menu exist on PSP's ARK-4 when its settings can be changed on the XMB?

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Was the issue on PS Vita's and PS TV's standalone ARK-4 fixed?
You mean the lack of stability in the kernel exploit? No, not yet, been busy with other stuff, I'll get back to standalone installs soon.

Does PSP's ARK-4's FTP server work?
Yes, but performance depends on free RAM available, the more games loaded the less RAM for it to work. The FTP server is the exact same as PSP-FTPD, but the latter has the entire RAM available for it so it works better.

Does running ARK-4 from Adrenaline crash the PS Vita/PS TV like running the standalone ARK-4?
No, Adrenaline compatibility is stable and works pretty much the same as regular Adrenaline but with ARK's featureset.

Why does the Recovery Menu exist on PSP's ARK-4 when its settings can be changed on the XMB?
Because as the name implies, it's used for recovering from a bad configuration or plugin, which could prevent the XMB from loading. Also the XMB is not available in standalone Vita installations.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You mean the lack of stability in the kernel exploit? No, not yet, been busy with other stuff, I'll get back to standalone installs soon.

Yes, but performance depends on free RAM available, the more games loaded the less RAM for it to work. The FTP server is the exact same as PSP-FTPD, but the latter has the entire RAM available for it so it works better.

No, Adrenaline compatibility is stable and works pretty much the same as regular Adrenaline but with ARK's featureset.

Because as the name implies, it's used for recovering from a bad configuration or plugin, which could prevent the XMB from loading. Also the XMB is not available in standalone Vita installations.

Since ARK-4's FTP server doesn't work in my PSP unlike PSP-FTPD, I guess it's because I have a lot of PSP games, then. Anyway, when running ARK-4's FTP server, how can PSP games affect it since they don't even appear?

What are the advantages of running ARK-4 from the Memory Stick?

I still don't get how can plugins be run when using DC-ARK. I thought plugins ran on the XMB and games.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
how can PSP games affect it since they don't even show up?
They aren't being drawn but they are still there.

advantages of running ARK from the Memory Stick?
Dual booting. You can have one firmware on the nand and another on the memory stick and they can be completely different too.

how can plugins be run when using DC. I thought plugins were run in XMB and when playing games.
What's there not to understand? DC is just a method of loading the (custom) firmware from memory stick.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Dual booting. You can have one firmware on the nand and another on the memory stick and they can be completely different too.

What's there not to understand? DC is just a method of loading the (custom) firmware from memory stick.

Why don't games with a "–" appear on the Custom Launcher but on the XMB they do?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Why doesn't ARK-4's FTP server have the entire available free RAM like PSP-FTPD, then?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md mention how to update PS Vita's standalone ARK-4 and Adrenaline's ARK-4 and why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki mention how to update PSP's ARK-4, PS Vita's standalone ARK-4 via the FastARK and ChovySign methods and Adrenaline's ARK-4?

Why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md mention the ChovySign method unlike ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki?

ARK-4's GitHub's README.md says "ARK CFW" must be run after running Infinity the second time instead of "ARK Loader" and ARK-4's GitHub's Wiki doesn't mention the latter has to be run after running Infinity the second time.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pressing "SELECT" does nothing for some seconds when returning to the XMB from Sleep Mode or Custom Launcher, when exiting a game and after restarting the PSP or VSH. The PSP's Memory Stick LED is blinking and only once it finishes I can access the VSH MENU (among other things).

Is this slowness caused by having a lot of PSP ISOs?

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can probably improve it by using a Full Flash Install and deleting VSHMENU.PRX from ARK_01234 so you force VSH Menu to load from flash instead of memory stick.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can probably improve it by using a Full Flash Install and deleting VSHMENU.PRX from ARK_01234 so you force VSH Menu to load from flash instead of memory stick.

It stayed the same.

Why and how does PS Vita's standalone ARK-4 make a sound when scrolling PSP games even with sound turned off?

What does "Inferno Cache" do and specifically its "LRU" setting? Can it break PSP games?

Why can't the Custom Launcher be accessed from the VSH MENU?

EDIT: After installing ARK-4 via the new FasterARK method and running it, ARK-4 sometimes freezes in the "ChovySign" part with a C1-2858-3 error message, and when running PSP ISOs, it sometimes has a black screen for some seconds until it crashes with a C1-2858-3 error message.

EDIT 2: After reinstalling ARK-4 via the FasterARK method, I have the previous issue if ARK-4's "Memory Stick Speedup" is set to "Always". I'll set it to "Disabled" and delete Adrenaline and remove its plugin installed via AutoPlugin II. This new FasterARK method unlike the previous FastARK one doesn't install the Sasuke vs. Commander game if no PSN game/demo is installed and doesn't require a PSN game/demo (like Ape Quest's demo) to be installed before being run as well.

EDIT 3: After making a clean ARK-4 install in my PS Vita and PS TV via the FasterARK method and running VitaShell, I have a C2-12828-1 error message. If clicking "OK", the PS Vita and the PS TV freeze with a black screen. If I access Safe Mode to restart them or rebuild their database, they have spinning white dots until they freeze. I have no choice but to restore them from Safe Mode, to jailbreak them and to reinstall all my games and homebrew. I'm tired of ARK-4's developers' incompetence. As if this wasn't enough, now FasterARK installs an app to run PS1 games called ARK-X and a plugin called ps1cfw_enabler and users can't even refuse them. I deleted the former and uninstalled the latter via AutoPlugin II (and deleted FasterARK as well).

EDIT 4: After restoring my PS Vita and PS TV and jailbreaking them, I have the same problem. A new PS Vita standalone ARK-4 version was released and yet it also causes this issue.

EDIT 5: Finally, the issue was fixed after a new PS Vita standalone ARK-4 release. I'll still have to reinstall all my games and homebrew on the PS Vita and PS TV, though. I don't get why PS Vita's ARK-4's "Memory Stick Speedup" is set to "Always" by default when it causes said issue.

EDIT 6: I have a new PC and I don't have the PSP USB cable issue on it.

EDIT 7: Now FasterARK is installing another plugin against my will (arkrightanalog). Wtf? I uninstalled it.

EDIT 8: After reinstalling ARK-4 via the FasterARK method and running it, ARK-4 sometimes freezes in the "ChovyProject" part with a C1-2858-3 error message, and when running PSP ISOs, it sometimes has a black screen for some seconds until it crashes with a C1-2858-3 error message. I have this issue if ARK-4's "Memory Stick Speedup" is set to "Always" (it's set as such by default). I'll set it to "Disabled".

EDIT 9: My PSP says my home network isn't supported (this didn't happen with the previous ISP router which was older than this one and had a different SSID and password). I have to use Wi-Fi tethering from my phone (the 2.4 GHz band must be used and a password mustn't be set) and connect my PSP to the hotpot when setting date and time, updating the FW and accessing the browser and connect both my PC and my PSP to it when running PSP-FTPD.

EDIT 10: It seems "Inferno Cache" can help speedup some games that do a lot of arbitrary reads. It can break some games but it's generally stable.

The Custom Launcher can't be accessed from the VSH MENU on the PSP because it can already be accessed via the Extras section of the XMB or by pressing the "L", "R", "Start" and "Down" buttons at any given moment in the XMB or any game. and ARK-4's developers wanted to reduce redundancy to clean up things and make the CFW simpler. This is the same reason why the original Recovery Menu was merged into the Custom Launcher and the classic Recovery Menu was left as the main one.

Also, when using PS Vita's NoPspEmuDrm plugin, which is needed if the FasterARK method is used, no PSP plugins are needed to play PSN content. If the ChovySign method is used, then PS Vita's NoPspEmuDrm plugin or PSP's npdrm_free and nploader plugins or npdrm_free_mod and nploader_mod plugins will have to be manually installed (either the PS Vita plugin or two of the four PSP plugins. Installing the NoPsmEmuDrm and npdrm_free and nploader plugins or NoPspEmuDrm and npdrm_free_mod and nploader_mod plugins is redundant). On the PSP, both npdrm_free and nploader plugins or npdrm_free_mod and nploader_mod plugins are needed for compatibility with encrypted (whatever this is) PSN content. All this (in both PS Vita and PSP cases) only go for encrypted PSN content. If the PSN content is decrypted (which apparently can be done with any PC tool), then no plugin is needed (or if the PSN content is legally owned).

EDIT 11: I tried installing NoPspEmuDrm's plugins on PSP's ARK-4 and nothing happened when I click them so I'll install nopdrm_free_mod and nploader_mod plugins.

EDIT 12: PSP's/PS Vita's ARK-4 updater and the XMB often still don't detect a new ARK-4 version or install the same version even when a new version is out. When that happens, I have to manually update it.

EDIT 13: I enabled the "Scan SAVEDATA" setting and savedata still doesn't appear in ARK-4.

EDIT 14: It seems the previous issue checks for ISOs and EBOOT.PBPs in the "SAVEDATA" folder, not displaying actual savedata.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!!