Hardware PSP battery with new cell not working

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, since PSP batteries are dwindling, I thought I'd just buy a 3.7v 1800mAh LiPo cell and make one myself. I had an old, bloated and dead slim battery which I harvested the board from, soldered the new cell onto, and.. It doesn't charge, or show up in Battery Info. I have a direct wall charger, too, but when I plugged it in to there, it charged for a tiny bit, then stopped, still not being recognized by my PSP-1001.

Is it a possibility that I need a PSP fat battery board, or is there something I'm missing here?

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only dealt with slims, so my guess is that you soldered to the wrong pads. Could you post a picture of the PCB?

Yeah, here you go. Sorry if the lighting is wonky.
image0.jpg

Reactions: Alexander1970

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything looks correct, so I'm thinking: there's a break in continuity somewhere, or the battery is dead. Use a multimeter to check the voltage of the battery. It also might help to remove the tabbed metal from the pads.

Try pushing the battery's terminals into the PSP. The size of the battery's casing allows the battery cover to push the terminals into making contact. If there isn't enough force for the terminals to make contact, the PSP will instantly power off, acting like it's shorting out. Obviously, it will also not be recognized by the system or be able to charge.

Last edited by zfreeman,

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything looks correct, so I'm thinking: there's a break in continuity somewhere, or the battery is dead. Use a multimeter to check the voltage of the battery. It also might help to remove the tabbed metal from the pads.

Try pushing the battery's terminals into the PSP. The size of the battery's casing allows the battery cover to push the terminals into making contact. If there isn't enough force for the terminals to make contact, the PSP will instantly power off, acting like it's shorting out. Obviously, it will also not be recognized by the system or be able to charge.

I have tried pushing it into both the charger, and the PSP, to no avail. I'll try checking with a multimeter, then if that shows fine, I'll removed the metal doohickies. I'll report back once that's done.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried just about everything. Battery cell was fine. Everything seemed good, except the surface fuses on the board I salvaged from a dead PSP battery wouldn't let anything through. Bridging one just caused the next to die. It shouldn't be the battery's fault, considering that it's got the same rating.. I tested a different PSP battery that I had which had bloated, and had the same fuses dead on it. So I guess, uh, I have to find a way to get a new PSP battery board.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually just use the cheapest knockoffs I can find and transplant a more dependable unit inside it.
That might be the route I'll have to go down. It's just a bit frustrating to me, I was hoping to repurpose as much of the stuff I had lying around as possible. I mean, the cell cost me about as much as just buying a generic PSP battery would have. But, oh well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1