DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just got my PSP go. Some notes.

1. Mine came with Firmware 5.70. Debating whether to update to 6.1 to take advantage of SCEE's Rewards Go program to get 3 free games. I have until March 2010 to decide this I guess....

2. I tried locating the Save State (resume game) data on the PSP go's memory and couldn't find it. Might be located on a larger Flash

3. When I connect my go to the PC, I see two drives show up. One is the go's storage, I'm assuming the other (which has no disk says my OS) must be the M2 expansion slot? I have no M2 to check this with.

Any other interesting observations?

BTW I bought mine at Wal-mart and it came with the Patapon 2 demo preloaded, and a voucher for Rockband: Unplugged Lite (5 songs only).

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm loading a few games on now, including a PSone Classic. I have yet to extensively play (especially with the analog stick) but I will mention a few points until I get a full review up.

Pros:
Screen is fantastic. Everyone griping about the size downgrade will shut up once they start playing.

Buttons are more click-y and give better response.

Size (important to me) is perfect. It's even smaller than my NDS Lite and I thought that was the perfect size.

Storage: I had a 4GB card before this and my room mate had an 8GB. We had a hard time filling his 8 with games, movies, emulators + ROMS, this 16GB is ridiculous especially since I've noticed the PSN downloads tend to run smaller than their UMD ISO counterparts. (Ex. Persona was a 782MB ISO, is sub 600MB from PSN)

Cons:

Start and Select are in an awkward position to each other, I also find Select being on top annoying. Hardly any feedback when you press them.

L/R are NOT click-y. They actually press in deeper than I would have expected. Also, they're a little high for my taste. Wish they'd made the lid open slightly higher so they could place the controls closer to the top.

Volume/Brightness/Mute keys almost impossible to adjust quickly during play. Almost always have to turn PSP downward so I can look where I'm pressing.

Keep in mind these may change as I play extensively on it (as of now all my games are done copying) as well as more detail such as speaker quality and analog stick assessment.

R3AKT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When buying games from the PSN store do they ask you to update the firmware? I really just want Gran turismo and would be content with that until maybe an exploit could be found.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R3AKT said:
When buying games from the PSN store do they ask you to update the firmware? I really just want Gran turismo and would be content with that until maybe an exploit could be found.

When I tried to connect to PSN on the PSP go it asked me to update yes. Also when I tried to connect it to Media Go! PC software just to sync music. I got around this by downloading the games on my PS3 then using the PS3 to copy to the PSP.

Following will be my review sans bluetooth experience. Ask any questions you want and I will amend the review to incorporate them.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP go Review:

Code:
Visuals: The screen is crisp and sharp. Brightness levels are decent and I had no trouble reading text from text heavy games like RPGs.

Code:
Sound: I had heard of complaints of the older PSPs not being loud enough. I played Rockband Unplugged and listened to music comfortably at about 3/4's volume, with 100% being if I wanted to drown someone or something out. It was louder with earbuds in for obvious reasons.

Code:
Battery: Haven't had it long enough to make a judgment call about the battery, though the manual says 3-6 hours, 6 being with WiFi, Bluetooth turned off, brightness down, and using headphones.

Code:
Durability:ÂÂFor being so light it seems... not sturdy but solid. When open the screen doesn't tilt in either direction or pull forward. The only creaking sounds I get is when pressing the PS button on the left hand side. Everything else seems pretty well. I slid the lid hard a few times and it didn't really seem to go 'beyond' it's normal range.

Code:
Buttons: This is a mixed bag. The face buttons are fantastic except that the Start/Select could give more feedback, not sure if I pressed them sometimes. I also wish Start was above Select.

The L/R buttons, while depressing more than expected, are extremely sensitive. You can press them on the very tippy edges and they'll still register. Was slightly annoying while playing music and I'd accidentally skip tracks.

The top side buttons I got used to a bit. I learned to move my fingers from the L/R to the center where I could feel each side of the volume rocker. Using that method I could adjust volume without much fuss as the two ends of the rocker are raised higher and easy to feel.

The button that gave me the most trouble was probably the PS button due to its location and the fact that nearly every time I went for it it took two attempts. But honestly, how often are you hitting that during a game?

The analog nub is a little bit smaller than the old one. Oh, and also not removable I found. It has the same movement range as the old one, but seems to resist you more. Though that may be a side effect of being new. I played Blade Dancer which requires you to move with Analog while rotating camera with L/R. I did just fine, though playtime was only about 10 minutes for that game.

Code:
PSP go Specific: The Suspend game feature is useful despite the fact you can only have one game suspended at a time. However a pleasant surprise was that it worked on PSone games! This makes FFVII much easier during my short work breaks >_> There doesn't seem to be any new features added to PSone besides that and maybe Bluetooth controller support.

The manual mentioned if you hold the Note button down for more than 5 seconds it would route sound to any bluetooth headset that was currently connected, so wireless music listening seems to be a go. Now if we could only use our PSP go's as a hands free for our cellphones while playing :P

All right, I can't really think of anything else at the moment, I've been up for about the last 22 hours now so if I missed some important thing everyone wants to know, just reply and I'll add it.

weepulization

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROFL at everyone that bought psp GO
and yes the GO makes NO sense cuz psp stand for playstation portable as previously posted
but futhermore

what are all you people doing about the psp games you already bought, and have long since discarded the receipts???

ROFL at that whole concept
(wipes the tears of laughter with shirt sleeve)

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
weepulization said:
and yes the GO makes NO sense cuz psp stand for playstation portable as previously posted
but futhermore

what are all you people doing about the psp games you already bought, and have long since discarded the receipts???

I've only bought 1 game for the PSP before the go, not really a loss to me...

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
weepulization said:
but futhermore

ROFL at you for being an idiot. GO makes sense BECAUSE (not cuz) it just plays off of the portable aspect of the psp...oh and by the way Sony is currently working on a way to transfer Umd games onto the Go's memory.

On-topic: The second I read "three free games" I knew I was probably going to get it.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, enough of this. I started this so PSP go owners could talk about their go's, what they like or dislike or anything funky about them (maybe get some input on what the most common shipping firmware was). It rapidly went off topic with an impromptu review and now the beginnings of a flame war. I'm going to take a nap, go to work, and when I get back, I hope to see either another PSP go owner's post, or someone at least asking questions not covered in the mini review.

Good day all.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally not gonna buy this thing until a massive price drop and whenever it gets hacked. But I would like to know your opinions on it.

One thing really want to know about is the bluetooth tethering feature. I read that you can use your cellphone's wireless connection to go online with it. Have you tried this feature and if so, how well does it work?

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
people, post your own topic about the PSPgo, this clearly states "PSPgo OWNERS"

I'll think of other things to ask about the PSPgo,

Make sure to update us on the battery. It seems like it has not changed from previous PSP. I'll stick to my PSP2001 if the battery is not 8 hours or more

weepulization

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive obviously offended an english teacher by writing "cuz" instead of "because"
ONLINE as if it matters
trying to roast someone for typing short hand online is weak, because online is where shorthand typing originated, and no pissed off english loving hat is gonna force people on online forums to use correct english so you sir fail for even trying

and in case you still didnt notice, its stupid to create a name that is a play on the portable aspects of the system because the system its self is PORTABLE!!!!!!

that would be like nintendo not calling their new remote add on the "wii motion plus" rather just calling it "wii motion"

sony failed at naming it, and KNEW their new umdless concept was gonna fail because they had no current method of transferring your current purchased UMD's to your Go without you being able to flat out pirate everything so they give you 3 free games while they figure out a solution

im sorry but
that FAILS!!!!
EPICALLY!!!

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh god it´s just a name !! and as already said this is not to discuss a name.
On topic i didn´t bought one but a friend of mine i played a bit around with it it´s definatly a nice device only the anlog stick and how you need to hold the PSPGo is kind of weird.
Only thing what stops me buy one myself is the price, i still have a 1004 PSP and this strange Sony programm for the UMD´s

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
754boy said:
I'm personally not gonna buy this thing until a massive price drop and whenever it gets hacked. But I would like to know your opinions on it.

i am not going to buy it at all, it's a waste of money and overpriced for what it is, i will stick to my slim thanks.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
weepulization said:
ive obviously offended an english teacher by writing "cuz" instead of "because"
ONLINE as if it matters
trying to roast someone for typing short hand online is weak, because online is where shorthand typing originated, and no pissed off english loving hat is gonna force people on online forums to use correct english so you sir fail for even trying

and in case you still didnt notice, its stupid to create a name that is a play on the portable aspects of the system because the system its self is PORTABLE!!!!!!

that would be like nintendo not calling their new remote add on the "wii motion plus" rather just calling it "wii motion"

sony failed at naming it, and KNEW their new umdless concept was gonna fail because they had no current method of transferring your current purchased UMD's to your Go without you being able to flat out pirate everything so they give you 3 free games while they figure out a solution

im sorry but
that FAILS!!!!
EPICALLY!!!

And my post got removed...Didn't mean to start a flame war sorry.
frown.gif
Oh by the way I'm not an English teacher I just didn't like how you made fun of a name (that makes sense by the way) while using bad grammar...anyways

On-topic: (nothing to do with the quote) I honestly think that it's interesting how the psp go can only get the free games if you have a psp...which some are going to trade in to gamestop and then get very angry.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
I do admit, the bluetooth connectivity seemed pointless at first, but being able to use bluetooth headsets is a nice feature. I just wonder if you can sync up a PS3 controller. The suspend feature is also nice, and I wonder if they're going to allow more than one game eventually.

I'm still on my PSP 1000, and while I'd still keep this one for the "extra" abilities, I'm curious to see if the PSP Go would be a viable purchase someday. So far, your mini reviews sound pretty close to what I expected. The start/select thing seemed kind of weird, and the volume/screen and such button placement seemed odd. But I'm glad to hear that you can get used to them tactfully over time. Keep us updated on the analog nub, though, I'm curious if that really has improved. The nub on mine (and 2000/3000) just never quite felt right. It just doesn't have enough slack and resistance to really feel "analog".

Also, can the ignorant masses please keep it down? This is not a Sony flaming topic, take that elsewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::angry: I Love Pianos 😡