Hardware PSP Internal Battery Replacement

StressToy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi my PSP 3001c is not keeping the date/time. Through googling I've learned that there is an internal battery that needs replacing like a CMOS battery on a standard computer motherboard. It is the "680-41 button cell battery". However I can't find this battery via google. I see LR41 in Walmart but don't know if it's the same thing. Anyone?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to this Reddit comment, that "battery" is a supercapacitor for keeping time (similar to the Xbox's RTC capacitor - except this one doesn't blow up).

Unfortunately the part they linked to (EECEN0F204AK) is for the PSP fat motherboards (you can tell because the prongs stick out and are long) and no longer being made.

Looked around on Digikey for a similar looking part on the PSP 3000 motherboard and found the EEC-EN0F204J2. It has a similar (if not exact) tab design ("horns" and curves down with a window), has 3 dots on top, has the M and + symbol, same capacitance (200 mF) and voltage (3.3v), same ESR rating (200mOhm), and they're both made by Panasonic.

Unfortunately again, the new part is discontinued. And the substitute part for the fat motherboards is completely out of stock.

If you feel like being the guinea pig, go ahead and use one of the regular battery coin cells. However I can't guarantee it'll end well (could blow up?)

EDIT: Looking a bit more, I found a potential substitute part. The nice thing is it has higher capacitance than the regular one, but I don't know if this will cause an issue with the charge circuit (for the supercapacitor, not the battery). The main problem is it sits too high / takes up too much space.

Last edited by master801,
Reactions: zfreeman

StressToy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies. Yea seems like its a pretty complex issue since no basic google searches return anything. Guess I'll just experiment down the line and see what happens. When that time comes I'll post an update.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, probably the scouter