Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Recently I broke one of my PSU's. After overloading it under way too high temps (ambient / case temp 60 degrees celcius) it obviously decided to quit. I was kind of hoping the thing would automatically understand it was overloaded and overheated and shut down itself, sadly, no dice. Anyway, seeing as white smoke came out of the thing, and it does still run but just not providing any juice of importance, together with the fact that all the capacitors and fets seem fine I feel I can still bring her back.

When I look at it all I really see that could be broken (and would also explain the white smoke and stench) would be 2 transformers (I think they are transformers). However I seem to be unable to find their specifications in order to buy replacements.

PSU.jpg

Hope the image resizes :P. Anyway, the bigger one is easily readable and the smaller one sais: AG-159-T3 [return] YC 0907.

Anybody know what these things would be? I obviously meen the 'yellow' (my phone cam + bad lighting I know) things of course ;).

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well thing is most of the time you can fix things yourself fairly easily. But in this case I do have to agree and have already ordered a new one (850W), but this one was a Nexus Silent 430W model, and as it is quite a nice PSU I was willing to take a look. Next to the fact that electronics interest me in general so why not check it out :). Chances are however that finding out the values those transformers had will be difficult and replacement parts expensive. Better to use the nice fan in another PSU and thus create a new silent one. Not that my gaming rigg is ever silent (it has 3870x2 x2.... those beasts are madness)

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Usually when a part of a component gets fried up or broken. Its smart to replace it completely as finding the fault in the component and replacing it requires more knowledge, patience and the fact that you have to replace it by taking out the old and be able to reconncet it with the new one. Well seeing as you got a new one is nice. I still find it incredible that you fried up your powersupply.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Usually when a part of a component gets fried up or broken. Its smart to replace it completely as finding the fault in the component and replacing it requires more knowledge, patience and the fact that you have to replace it by taking out the old and be able to reconncet it with the new one. Well seeing as you got a new one is nice. I still find it incredible that you fried up your powersupply.
I know, I'm that good. Anyway, I have nearly ALWAYS replaced parts of my hardware and thus got it working again. Monitors, power supplies, Hammond organ (2x), motherboards, VCR, laptop motherboards even large surface mounted devices. In general I have the knowlidge and patience. I also tend to want to learn :P. You can also get great deals that way as people tend to sell such 'broken' things cheap. Anyway, I know that the transformers are a slong shot but I though hey you know maybe someone here has done this before and knows a cheap solution (and tell me more on transformer identification) :).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I read through this thread 3 times and gathered just one thing.
"overloaded" "Nexus Silent 430W" and "3870x2 x2.... Those beasts are madness"
The picture I get is the entire cast of 300 trying to cross a river on a small dinky raft. At the same time. Either someone will fall off, or the raft will sink. In this case, the raft sunk. This is madness!
Translated, those beasts with a total of 4GPUs in CrossFireX probably sucked a lil more than 430W from your PSU so it was bound to die sooner or later. FYI, 60C isn't enough to cause any real damage in the system, since most parts are rated for higher than 80C, although it does help the system wear out faster (from heat/cool cycles).

All that aside, good luck fixing the PSU. I look forward to seeing the results.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ghehe, don't worry it wasn't a lone (and yay 300 reference :D) in supplying. There is a secondary 250W full 12V power supply in that machine dedicated to the GPU's. Still it was cutting it kinda close. Ambient was probably not causal indeed (from what I see pretty much everything in there was specced at 105 deg. celcius) but it sure helped. I have the feeling the thing got pounded and lacked cooling :). Was counting on the built in safeties to keep it from harm..... learned that I should keep common sense regardless of built in safeties ^^. Then again at the time of death I wasn't running anything on the GPUs... perhaps it was just it's time (which does not bode well for my server which has the same PSU, here's a hoping it was a sample fail ^^). I will keep looking for the transformers but I doubt I will find anything within spec and price, next to me still having to find the specifications of the things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn