Hacking [Q] Is it possible to "steal" GW's multirom menu and add it to a CFW?

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
#Jelly I wonder where CFW's will be in the next year? :)

I am seeing a lot of cool things and it really makes me wonder why GW is lacking

It's already possible with the CIA of NTR 3.0

And thanks to debugging on 9.4+ a lot of cool amiibo things have surfaced underground, stay tuned for the next episode

Reactions: CreativeMan

pastaconsumer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why take just the multirom menu? Why not add Red Card support?
It's an interesting idea, but it'd take a lot more work than adding a multirom menu that probably wouldn't work unless it was modded to read .3DS files from the internal 3DS SD.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Someone needs to decrypt and deobfuscate (is that even a word?) a 2.x onwards Gateway launcher.dat and implement the code for loading .3DS format games first before even thinking about a rom selection menu....

Reactions: WhoAmI?

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Why take just the multirom menu? Why not add Red Card support?
It's an interesting idea, but it'd take a lot more work than adding a multirom menu that probably wouldn't work unless it was modded to read .3DS files from the internal 3DS SD.
That's what I meant the whole time, when I said "Multimenu". I guess I should've been more clear. Stupid me.

I mean, I'd totally be up to getting a GW card if CFW's supported it.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question's already been answered (yes, but good luck getting it out of Bond), so I'm just gonna give my thoughts on the concept itself.

My only concern would be whether or not red card support would break retail cartridge support. Otherwise, you're still in the same boat as it stands now, with having to reboot and switch modes depending on which media (red card or retail cart) you're using. If we could have use of both types of media in the same CFW, then I'm all for it.

What we're more likely to see is an overhaul of the GW CFW (GW Mode = CFW, just DRM-regulated) that will implement some of the advancements that the homebrew scene has added to their free CFWs. There are three main things that I'd like to see in the next GW update.

1. Downgraded MSET support for O3DS/2DS running 9.0-9.2
2. Sig checks removed from Classic Mode (so you can use retail carts with SDF)
3. DSiWare/GBA support (probably only addable to Classic Mode)

I personally like having my Gateway, and would probably still buy one if I was just entering the 3DS scene now. Having double the storage space for games means that I can have a far bigger on-hand library than relying on a single SD card. Plus, the convenience factor of the GW's faster and easier way to load games than CIA installation allows me to try a wider variety of games outside my norm and feel less guilty about prep time spent when they suck.

tl;dr: GW improving itself with public CFW features is the more likely outcome. GW is still money well spent in the current CFW climate because of convenience.

WateredFire19

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should totally ask that! xP Maybe if I'm nice enough, the woman with the red fingernails will give me a BJ, too :)
gateway-3ds.jpg

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
The question's already been answered (yes, but good luck getting it out of Bond), so I'm just gonna give my thoughts on the concept itself.

My only concern would be whether or not red card support would break retail cartridge support. Otherwise, you're still in the same boat as it stands now, with having to reboot and switch modes depending on which media (red card or retail cart) you're using. If we could have use of both types of media in the same CFW, then I'm all for it.

What we're more likely to see is an overhaul of the GW CFW (GW Mode = CFW, just DRM-regulated) that will implement some of the advancements that the homebrew scene has added to their free CFWs. There are three main things that I'd like to see in the next GW update.

1. Downgraded MSET support for O3DS/2DS running 9.0-9.2
2. Sig checks removed from Classic Mode (so you can use retail carts with SDF)
3. DSiWare/GBA support (probably only addable to Classic Mode)

I personally like having my Gateway, and would probably still buy one if I was just entering the 3DS scene now. Having double the storage space for games means that I can have a far bigger on-hand library than relying on a single SD card. Plus, the convenience factor of the GW's faster and easier way to load games than CIA installation allows me to try a wider variety of games outside my norm and feel less guilty about prep time spent when they suck.

tl;dr: GW improving itself with public CFW features is the more likely outcome. GW is still money well spent in the current CFW climate because of convenience.

I agree :)

Reactions: zhdarkstar

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
OP
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
I've thought about doing this myself, but if it means patching out retail carts just to use GW carts, than no thanks, lol.. would rather use both.

Would it be possible to make it a configurable option? Like, when booting emuNAND to select whether you want to apply the patches for the ROM menu or not.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to make it a configurable option? Like, when booting emuNAND to select whether you want to apply the patches for the ROM menu or not.
most likely.. like any patch, you can choose to use them or not. Loading roms off SD would have been better though.. like the PSP days, lol. But that seems less likely to happen.

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The solution is not even that far away, between citra and ntr 3.0 find it really strange that no one has released anything.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The solution is not even that far away, between citra and ntr 3.0 find it really strange that no one has released anything.
That's because the 3DS scene still has a lot of devs who don't want to be "that guy" for whatever their personal reasons may be.

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's because the 3DS scene still has a lot of devs who don't want to be "that guy" for whatever their personal reasons may be.
Personally I lack motivation. The 3ds for me has a few titles of interest to me.
Honestly I'm studying and NTR 3.0 citra to create a sort of "usb loader gx". But they are far from writing code.
For me it's just a hobby, but for what I see on the forum, a homebrew would be vital, and that's why I'm surprised that no one has created.
sorry for my english by google translator.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I lack motivation. The 3ds for me has a few titles of interest to me.
Honestly I'm studying and NTR 3.0 citra to create a sort of "usb loader gx". But they are far from writing code.
For me it's just a hobby, but for what I see on the forum, a homebrew would be vital, and that's why I'm surprised that no one has created.
sorry for my english by google translator.
Wow you rarely post, I hope you get very bored one day and decide to take a peek at it then.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to steal someones work? Yes or course. How do you steal this particular work (GW multirom menu)? No one knows yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land