Gaming Question about Gamers Computers

Xmortal

Other Nickname Legarad
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I was wondering if these gamers computers can be used to work on photos, videos or graphic/web design, and also as a video game developer or are there some downsides?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are many things I could ponder in this.

Though simply speaking. Yes. Games are demanding things to run, and if photos/video is going to get demanding* the same sorts of things gamers build machines to handle also do well for that.
Graphics and web development is less of an issue most of the time, though I am sure you could find examples, and Adobe seem to do their best to keep their programs gobbling all the RAM they can (if I got photoshop CS6, and current creative cloud and opened the same number of layers at the same resolution then the current creative cloud stuff would be way way higher -- I have to upgrade machines for people that insist on using adobe's awful software all the time where those that use other things only need upgrades when they bump resolution or something).

*10-15 years ago photo and video work was a real system grinder, along with 3d modelling. Today most machines have kept ahead of most things there. For video then if you go into some of the higher end methods with footage restoration, stabilisation, upscaling and other 3d modelling visual effects work then it can still be a system grinder.
If you want to do the average youtube type video of here is a subtitle, here is a title card, here is a photo put over the video, bunch of cuts to get the right angles... then that is usually nothing major.

Game development is a very broad category. It ranges from programming, which can be done on anything really, to testing (which as programmers don't make optimised games right off the bat tend to mean their early code is hard on machines), to 3d modelling (which can be rough, especially high end textures and things with a lot of polygons), to music (varies, and might have its own requirements)... generally though a game playing machine will do OK as a development machine, might even be overkill in some instances.

The problems with gamer vs what some in industry might do is split into three things.

1) Gamers don't care about colour accuracy. Photo and video wise it is really nice to be able to send a file off and have it print out how you were editing it on screen, or know the person you sent it to sees the exact same colours, and some screens can be rather inaccurate here.
This means you might find yourself having to buy a colour calibrated screen (despite not caring for most of what they do I quite like Dell's colour calibrated stuff here) which is a fairly expensive hobby over even the fancy high resolution, high refresh rate gamer, low latency... gamer focused stuff. Do note it cuts the other way as well -- my usual story here is my screens are well calibrated, made a website for someone with a curry restaurant one time, my nice shade of brown on my screen turned into a rather less pleasant shade of brown (let's just say similar to what happens after a curry session to some people) on his screen and I had to change it.

2) System stability. Oh dear your game crashed. Big deal. Crashing and losing hours of work is a bigger deal though. To that end most people doing professional work in graphics, finance, computer aided design, editing and so forth will build workstation class machines. These do things like have ECC RAM, dual power supplies, redundant power supplies... basically they are almost server boards that people turn into desktops. Gamer machines are not this. That said the days of true workstation machines are somewhat over compared to what they used to be like back in the core2/ddr2 and early ddr3 RAM era and before.

2a) Not such a problem any more but back when then computer aided design (3d models for engineers) would often require a specific and expensive version of graphics card. Today this is less of a thing but some pieces of software in really high end video editing do require it.

3) Hard drive storage. Most gamer stuff is all about speed and if you lose your data then oh well just download it again. To that end they do things like RAID 0 drives (if one drive goes then they all lose all the data) and general lack of backups or robustness there. Can be solved by converting it to more stable versions of RAID, using faster hard drives, taking external backups, maybe sticking backups on a remote server and so forth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWZq1S9x0g +1