Hacking Question about USB Loader GX and VC games

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

I've got a question about VC games and USB Loader GX. I created an emunand with USB Loader GX which worked fine and then installed some N64 VC games through USB Loader GX which worked fine as well. The problem is now that some of the games work flawlessly (like Mario 64, Mario Kart or Pokemon Snap) while others don't boot up at all ( like Pokemon Puzzle Challenge or Smash Bros.). Do you know why some of the games won't work?? Is there a solution to get these games working as well??

Thaks in advance for your help!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
N64 games are known for being hard to run on USBLoaderGX.
it requires a specific cIOS (rev17 or 19 base38), and you need to put the EmuNAND path on the root of the first FAT32 partition on a 512Bytes/sector hard drive, or the loader will ask you to use d2x instead.

Some games don't work with d2x cIOS, so you need an old one.
but old one don't support multiple partitions, or 4k drives, or paths to NAND.

cIOS specs and updates:
rev17: 1st FAT32 partition of a 512 bytes/sector HDD, NandEmuPath must be on root, Full EmuNAND only
rev18: adds Partial EmuNAND mode
rev21: adds EmuNAND paths
rev21 d2x beta: adds partition selection. officially supported in d2x v3
d2x v4: adds 4096 bytes/sector support

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your answer!

Is it known why it works with the old cIOS and not with the newer ones?? Looks strange to me ;)
I guess I Need to stay with d2x cIOS... Is there another possibility to load the N64 games that are not compatible with USB Loader GX like another loader or something??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can use another loader.
What you need is to use a *neek environment to emulate the NAND.

Sneek (neek for SD) : The Wii is fully emulated on SD (instead of only the IOS redirecting game's request from RealNAND to EmuNAND)
Uneek (neek for USB): The wii is fully emulated on USB.
neek2o (mod of need to be launched from loaders) : This one is used to allow USBLoaders running on realNAND to launch channels located on neek. (it reboot the Wii into neek mode and auto-boot the channel, when exiting the game, it exit the EmuNAND and returns to the loader on realNAND).

Wiiflow (and I think CFGLoader and Postloader) are compatible with neek2o.
USBLoaderGX is currently not working with EmuNAND neek mode (only Apploader mode).

You can also launch neek manually to emulate the NAND and launch the channel yourself from the "fake" System menu.

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks again for your help!
I got the games working using neek2o. Now they work perfectly. Not the best solution because I enjoy the comfort of having all my games in one list in USB Loader GX, but at least now I can play everything I want ;) Is it likely that USB Loader GX receives an update in the future to support neek2o??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought I would add it .. last month :lol:
I'm late, sorry.

I want to add it to have best compatibility, like with other loaders.
I just don't know when I'll have time to read about neek2o feature, add and test it.

There are too many things I want to do, all at the same time it's not working well.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of simple curiosity, is it known what changes between r17/19 and the d2x revisions it was that broke compatibility with some of the N64 games (path setting/cluster size)?

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I thought I would add it .. last month :lol:
I'm late, sorry.

I want to add it to have best compatibility, like with other loaders.
I just don't know when I'll have time to read about neek2o feature, add and test it.

There are too many things I want to do, all at the same time it's not working well.

Wow that sounds cool, would be great to have neek2o support!
But take your time of course, nothing to hurry ;) Thanks for your hard work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It's just a joke..