Hardware Question

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,758
  • Replies 28
D

Deleted User

OP
you can create a windows usb using the Media Creation Tool on microsoft's website, and you can use a fresh copy of windows 10, as for getting the windows 7 system files onto an ssd, you wouldn't be able to do that without an external sata to usb adapter or a full size pc.
So I have 2 pcs. One has windows 10 (still a laptop) and the other one has windows 7 (the one I want to switch drives to). I’ll ask my friend to lend me his adapter since he has one. So the dumping process would have to be done on the win10 pc?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
View attachment 167336
This is what I got when I turned them upside down
Top one is fifth generation (only large wide power cable), while bottom one is fourth generation (large wide power cable AND 4-pin MOLEX since 4-pins on HDDs hadn't become obsolete yet), they are interchangeable as long as the power cable you are using isn't a 4-pin, that's all.

As for transferring the OS, you need the Windows folder, everything else isn't really mandatory (whatever isn't transferred over will be created again automatically and if not you might simply need to make a new user account, big whoop).

D

Deleted User

OP
image.jpg
Cloning the drive.
Got a cloning dock!

D

Deleted User

OP
Might wanna use Acronis, if the two HDD size doesn't match.
Yes, the old one is 640GB and the new one is 480GB. Does that program have the “optimize for SSD” option? And the guy from who I borrowed that told me that’s some programs don’t work with Kingston. Is this true?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unless your laptop is from more than 10 years ago, all hard drives built nowadays are SATA which are backwards compatible, so don't worry and use it.
Just remember that you need to clone your Windows installation on the newer hard drive or your laptop won't boot from it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the old one is 640GB and the new one is 480GB. Does that program have the “optimize for SSD” option? And the guy from who I borrowed that told me that’s some programs don’t work with Kingston. Is this true?

For these dock cloning, I believe you need to have the target drive larger or equal to the same size of the source, but there is no 640GB SSD, you need cloning software to adjust it if the target size is smaller than the source hdd. Either buy a full copy of Acronis or use @Jayro Medicat build in Acronis.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-dvd-a-multiboot-linux-dvd.361577/

https://www.startech.com/faq/hard_drive_duplicators_larger_source_drive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!