Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
And concerning "bought"... Nothing about "we bought something" here:

2w57cow.jpg

BTW, an R4 Gold is 10 Euros. An R4 Ultra is 6 Euros.

4 Euros more for a clone. That's a lot of money...

It's a pitty we've never seen an R4 Ultra review at the front page here...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
they are all based on actual specs and development plans that acekard sold to 3rd party flash kit would-be developers. they aren't reverse engineered or hardware hacks. the r4 ultra has no support which is why its not worth as much. users will pay more for a card that is dsi/3ds compatible and has wood firmware support.

this debate is going way off topic from the review at hand. if you wish to continue it lets post about it in the r4 section.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Evo.lve said:
Will the review feature a section on the Moonshell2-based default UI?

rydian might include a section of the teams firmware vs wood, but the review will focus on the wood firmware just as the ak2.1 review focused on akaio, because wood is the better alternative.

hmm i should add that if you think their should be a large section about the default team's firmware, make a case for it. rydian and i are still in the testing and discussion phase of this review. he won't run with it for a bit and there is still time to debate some of the review aspects.

[edit]
the team emailed me and asked me to check out their new firmware. its really nice. it seems to be a heavily modified moonshell. there is a mp3 player, video player, notepad, etc. i have to toy with it more but this might be worth receiving more than just a quick mention. i'm sort of happy that gbatemp had a database crash which caused me to lose all my r4i gold review work, because i was bashing their firmware and this is leaps beyond that first moonshell based firmware.

-another world

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Finwen said:
Is there a risk of brick your 3DS or something like that?http://gbatemp.net/t284730-3ds-bricking-rumor

jabato said:
does it have upgradeable bootloader?This 3DS version can be updated for new 3DS firmwares, and the DSi versions can be updated for new DSi firmwares, but you can't update the DSi model to a 3DS model. That was wholly a mistake on my part and I've corrected it in the hands-on.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Apr 21 2011, 08:57 PM)
I haven't gotten to that yet, but if it's something special then I'll spend some time on it. It it's nothing more than a stylized moonshell with bad/no retail ROM compatibility it'll likely just be a small paragraph on it's capabilities.

Lynne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finwen said:
Is there a risk of brick your 3DS or something like that?
seriously nintendo cant brick your console especially if you buy it preowned and u update it and its had a log of r4 in it or if you use flash cards u cant play any games at all cuz u need to update before some new games will work but wtf, seriously nintendo shouldt care about old ds games no more only 3ds games, just like they stopped selling old consoles wen a new one came out

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Evo.lve said:
I haven't gotten to that yet, but if it's something special then I'll spend some time on it. It it's nothing more than a stylized moonshell with bad/no retail ROM compatibility it'll likely just be a small paragraph on it's capabilities.

It's damn sexy, and as AW said it does quite a lot.

It's a heavily modified moonshell, and it does its job well.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
ron975 said:
Wasn't this cart already reviewed?

the review was about 75% written when gbatemp had a database error. everything posted that day was erased and the most recent back up was a week old. at this point i was formatting and setting up the review as i went, i wasn't making back-ups. now when i do a review i save a back-up for each revision! -- learned a lesson there. anyways, xmas came around, i ran out of time and the review got put on the back burner. when the r4idsn team said that they would supply tempmas prizes (something we could not do as this was the time shoptemp closed, and thanks to them tempmas was literally saved), the prize they wanted to give was the r4i gold. i really had come to appreciate the good build quality, dsi support, wood firmware support, and their very friendly development team, so i wrote a quick hands-on so that people would know that the card wasn't junk. my hopes were that they would appreciate it if they won it.

we were approached and asked if we wanted to review the updated card. the only difference appears to be new code inserted into the old chip which is placed on all new builds. there seems to be no way to get the new code into a previously built kit, it must be done at manufacturing time, so this is indeed a "second revision" of the r4i gold. since we never managed to publish the first review it made sense to just skip that review and to review this revision instead. again, the only difference being 3DS support.

-another world

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Bunie said:
AlanJohn said:
OK why is GBAtemp reviewing a clone?
Lol last time i said that i was temp banned.
glare.gif
Where is the justice
If I had mod powers it'd be about 0.02 nanoseconds before the temp would burst into flame. The screams of the innocent would be heard from space, the bright flares from the explosions in all forums would be visible from the other side of the planet. The EoF would be the first to go, because it'd be the hardest for me to part with... but that emotional cutoff would only fuel my primal rage. The other forums would scarcely have time to laugh at the EoF's demise before they as well would be caught up in the whirlwind of death.

Anyways he asked it nicely, and I was snippy in response.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jannet said:
Just read this article in GBA forum by accident, http://gbatemp.net/t289834-just-a-test-on-3ds-gold-flashcard, i thought it is the same item ,but i have a question,why the pitcure of the sample you reiceived looks different from which he shows in that article.
unsure.gif
These are the same ones ?
The only difference I can tell is that the picture colors of mine are a bit off, because my camera sucks. It looks to be the same product.

Jannet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rydian said:
Jannet said:
Just read this article in GBA forum by accident, http://gbatemp.net/t289834-just-a-test-on-3ds-gold-flashcard, i thought it is the same item ,but i have a question,why the pitcure of the sample you reiceived looks different from which he shows in that article.
unsure.gif
These are the same ones ?
The only difference I can tell is that the picture colors of mine are a bit off, because my camera sucks. It looks to be the same product.

got it , quite agree , and I have ordered it from a french e-shop . Thanks .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8