Hacking R4i v1.4 Upgrade MENU? Error NDSL

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have never touched a NDS since way way back when you could use the GBA port to use a product Datel (those who made Action Replay) released that had a Compact Flash memory card inside it and you could load Roms from it, I think it was called Max Media Dock or something like that.

Tonight I have just purchased a few R4 cards that work great on my kids NDS consoles, but I am trying to set up the R4 card that says is compatible with NDSi XL consoles because I later plan on buying one, but for now I have a spare NDSL, I assume it should work regardless which console you have, that its just plug and play once its set up.

I have already tried searching here and google for answers and most links now seem dead (no thanks to nintendo).

I download the latest files off R4's website, R4i V1.85b and copy everything over to my SD Card, 32GB FAT32 and is not a clone SD Card was previously used for my GameCube.

When I load up my console I see a DS game icon, Star Wars Lethal Alliance Ubisoft, so I load it up and then both screens turn white with the top screen displaying a folder in red saying MENU?

I don't think these are clones as the quality on them are very good and identical to the one my Mrs already had (which is in use for one of my kids NDSL console).

I have two of these which look and feel exactly the same (both have a hologram sticker on the back), one just says:
R4(i) v1.4 (in a yellow star like bubble) then underneath says Upgrade Revolution for DS then says (NDSi XL/NDSi/NDSL/NDS) then lists the website R4I-SDHC.COM

The other has some strange logo (i think then says Gamers 4 Engine)
R4(i) v1.4 (in a yellow star like bubble) then underneath says Upgrade Revolution for DS then says (NDSi LL/NDSi/NDSL/NDS) then lists the website R4I-SDHC.COM <- I assume to be JAP version with it saying NDSi LL with me owning a n3DS XL which is JAP and says n3DS LL.

But both do exactly the same, so clearly there is something I am doing wrong or is missing from the main download files that I am just extracting to the root of my SD Card.

In the bundle of flash cards that I got tonight, I only intended on getting 1x flash card at least to work for my other child with me already having one working.

But I saw on Facebook Marketplace, very first advert too that loaded was someone selling a hand full of flashcards for the NDS and it had one for the 3DS (which I hope I can use to fix my semi bricked JAP n3DS LL) and some other flashcards I've never seen before.

One Black Card with a label saying n5 Revolution for Ds (NDSL/NDS) www.dsn5.com (dead website)
The other a White Card with a label www.ndstt.com (dead website) TTDS Logo then DSTT For NDS/NDSL

So I assume these two are cheap clones or something.

The R43DS card has a WiFi logo then R4(i) then v4.5 (in a silver star like bubble) then 3DS in Green then under that says (3DS LL/N3DS/NDSi XL/NDSi/NDSL/NDS) WWW.R4I-SDHC.COM

So I have no idea how to get the other card to work, but looking at the 3DS one been compatible, I didnt know until this point, so might give that a try on my NDSL and see if I can get it to work.

But I also wonder can this be used to restore my NAND backup of my JAP n3DS LL as it wont boot (I think I may have deleted something system related when deleting the JAP demos from the home screen), nothing happens at all, all it can do is get into the official FACTORY RECOVERY where its supposed to download and install the latest nintendo firmware but fails to get an internet connection after connecting to my WiFi.

I cant remember the exploit I did on that as it was many years ago, but I had downgraded it to 9.x to use GateWay 3DS and it was set to trigger some exploit on power on if I held DPAD DOWN (which it let me assign the key), if nothing is held then the console would boot as normal.

Then it would bring me to HomeBrew Loader (if i remember correctly) and here would list apps like FreeShop, Luma CFW, GateWay 3DS, and other stuff that I had on my SD Card, from here I would select GateWay 3DS as I wanted to use it for simplicity of just drag/drop single rom file and boot, no 2x storage needed to store CIA file and then having space to install too.

I also used it because it made the console region free and could play anything, but the main reason I used it and would like to get back to using again is its built in Code Finder and Memory Editor to make my own cheat codes.

Also, if I were to select Luma CFW it would boot into Luma, but it would not be perminentely installed to the console, if I powered the console off and back on, it would boot as normal.

Everything worked perfectly fine until I made the mistake of deleting the JAP DEMOS from the home screen, mainly because my 8 year old would keep trying to open one of the icons that looked like Pokemon and no idea what it would say on screen with it all been in JAP, so I wanted to remove them to stop him from trying to load it.

EDIT

After trying the 3DS R4 card and downloading its files from their website I get exactly the same error screen, but this time when I boot my NDSL console up I get the game icon saying Touch Bomberman Land Nintendo.

Also, might be no use, but I do have 2x Blue Gateway cards, I assume these be no use either with GateWay been dead a long time ago, I dont know if these are any use for the NDS consoles (These are 100% legit as theyre what I got with my GateWay cards - I used to make cheats for GateWay 3DS and received them directly off them)

Last edited by Spider_Man,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since you have written a whole essay, I point out that many users, especially non-native speakers, get tired of reading all that: better to cut to the chase. In my experience, when a DS title icon appears, it means that the internal software to the cartridge is not ruined, but that "menu?" means that the kernel files you copied to the SD are wrong (they concern another flashcard). If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, I have tried the multi cart support files from here and im stupid, i cant find r4.dat
1695459999518.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played