Gaming Random Freezing?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If, with a fresh windows install you're getting random freeze, then it can only be a hardware issue (except if your install disc is damaged)
And the best way to start is to use diagnostic software to test your hardware. the link I posted earlier contain a compilation of hardware testing tools.

ShadowSoldier said:
kept one 2GB in there. It was still freezing. I put another 2GB in there (bringing it up to 4), and it was the same as the one that was already in. I made sure.
did I just read this? 1 stick - freeze, add another stick - freeze = not a ram problem ???
that's not how you test for defective ram.

common hardware cause of random freeze (most likely to least likely)
defect hdd
defect ram
defect mobo
unstable voltage from psu
defect cpu

least common causes:
problem with discrete video card
problems with other expansion card
problems with attached peripheral and usb device
short between the mobo and the case caused by linear expansion of materials due to heat (absurdly rare and unlikely)

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Sep 19 2011, 07:31 PM) It was a custom built PC from a professional
That doesn't mean anything, it's not rare to see a customer coming back a few months or a year later because of some hardware problem that did not show up during assembly, shit happens man.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
marcus134 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
kept one 2GB in there. It was still freezing. I put another 2GB in there (bringing it up to 4), and it was the same as the one that was already in. I made sure.
did I just read this? 1 stick - freeze, add another stick - freeze = not a ram problem ???

No, it was freezing, even before we did all of this. Before I even touched it or took the casing off, it was freezing. I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding you or I'm typing shitty today. tbh, I don't want to touch the insides until I take it into the store to see what they say. I have a tendency of breaking hardware :/ I am reading everything though. I'm going to tell the guy about this stuff, see if it sparks something in his mind.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nfgdnhsnhsfkl

1 - We should first see if it works in safe mode or not. If it doesn't freeze in safe mode then it's likely a software issue or hardware issue that's only limited to things that don't operate fully unless drivers are functioning (such as the GPU). We need to see if it's hardware or software before we know what to test for, tossing random tests until we have narrowed it down could just waste time.

2 - Dual-channel is increased bandwidth, but normal people almost never hit a point where RAM bandwidth is an issue.

3 - It's entirely possible for RAM to appear to work, but be fucked up. Just because the guy who installed it is a pro doesn't mean it's not damaged. Just because it's legit RAM doesn't mean it's not damaged. Hell, you could go to a factory, have the pope pick RAM right off the production line and install it, and it could still be damaged.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It hasn't frozen yet. I like the idea of checking safe mode, but the thing is so random that it's nearly impossible to tell. I mean, it hasn't frozen yet today. I was told by the guy to make sure that the fans in there are running (video card and the power supply), both are.

I took the side off, and going to leave it off, maybe it's just heating up way too fast for some reason. And it's not in an enclosed area or anything, well its under my desk, but still enough room to breathe.

I'll check the RAM thing tomorrow.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right Click Computer >>> Manage >>> Event Viewer >>> Windows logs

Check mainly system to see if any hardware errors are reported

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What brand motherboard is it? I found after 3 years of replacing literally ALL the parts (but the motherboard) of my computer that it was....by law of deduction, the motherboard.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zetta_x said:
Right Click Computer >>> Manage >>> Event Viewer >>> Windows logs

Check mainly system to see if any hardware errors are reported

I couldn't find anything that said anything about errors, I could be missing something though. Is there something I looking for in Windows Logs?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes it reports malfunctioning hardware in the system logs; sometimes applications will show errors of stalling etc...

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Something like this? (can you tell I'm new to this. I've been using XP until now)

unledgwt.jpg

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate vista, the log viewer for windows 7 and Vista is crap. Click on the little triangle to the left of Event viewer and let me know if it shows the categories.

It should be windows logs then usually in system

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The log viewer actually keeps track of a ton more now so it doesn't show it all by default for performance reasons.

Actions - Create Custom View
Then you get the full trees of what to include in the view.

I like the improvements they made but the change in GUI just makes it seem bulky and confuses people who haven't used it before.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Walks in*
*Sees "Random Freezes, and or Lockups"*

I wonder if the Power Supply is inadequate?

*Hopes his training as a PC Tech is paying off*
*Walks out*

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sterling said:
*Walks in*
*Sees "Random Freezes, and or Lockups"*

I wonder if the Power Supply is inadequate?

*Hopes his training as a PC Tech is paying off*
*Walks out*

So I took the computer in. The guy said the hardware and motherboard are perfect. There was a little bit of dust in the video card, but not enough to screw anything up (I vaccumed it out), and he blew it out. He gave me some sites to check out that gives me an ISO to burn, memtest and seagates (i think, dont have the paper with me). He said it could be the RAM (I didn't do the RAM test yet).

He said one of the ram things in there has a heatsink, but because it's plastic, it's not really doing it's job, that and it's a Corsair, and he told me Corsair isn't that great compared to transcend. He said everything inside looks perfect and the motherboard looks great and doesn't look like it could overheat easily.

I haven't tried it since taking it last night as I don't have it with me, but have you guys heard of Corsair or have any experience?

I also asked about Windows 7, and turns out you guys were right (rather be safe than sorry). So now I'm looking to install that, see if that will help.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No I do not hear any sounds. And I'm going to just go with what he says to be honest with you. He's dealt with my friend's computers multiple times (multiple computers) and they run amazing.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
On Monday, I tell you this:
marcus134 said:
1. download this and burn it on a disk.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
2. boot your computer with the disk ( the same way you would boot a linux live disk)
3. to test your ram, go to memory, then either memtest86+or windows memory diagnostic.

if it's not your ram, then you can test your hdd or your cpu. (this is the seagate test)
also, sometimes it helps to restore the bios settings to default.
And you wait until Thursday to go see your favorite tech and get yourself told:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Sep 22 2011, 05:41 PM) He gave me some sites to check out that gives me an ISO to burn, memtest and seagates (i think, dont have the paper with me). He said it could be the RAM (I didn't do the RAM test yet).

hmm ... it's not that I want to rub it in your face, but you realize that you could've done those step earlier and you would probably have found your problem, or be at least a step ahead in the troubleshooting.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
marcus134 said:
On Monday, I tell you this:
marcus134 said:
1. download this and burn it on a disk.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
2. boot your computer with the disk ( the same way you would boot a linux live disk)
3. to test your ram, go to memory, then either memtest86+or windows memory diagnostic.

if it's not your ram, then you can test your hdd or your cpu. (this is the seagate test)
also, sometimes it helps to restore the bios settings to default.
And you wait until Thursday to go see your favorite tech and get yourself told:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Sep 22 2011, 05:41 PM) He gave me some sites to check out that gives me an ISO to burn, memtest and seagates (i think, dont have the paper with me). He said it could be the RAM (I didn't do the RAM test yet).

hmm ... it's not that I want to rub it in your face, but you realize that you could've done those step earlier and you would probably have found your problem, or be at least a step ahead in the troubleshooting.

So not only do you want to rub it in my face, but you also want to take offense to it? I love how you say "your favorite tech", so why wouldn't I see him, he's my fav.
smile.gif

Also (not related to mr. jelous up there):

Apparently what he did worked. The computer hasn't froze at all yet today. The 4GB's of RAM is still in there, but now they're both in the same color of slot instead of side by side. Maybe that's what's wrong with it, maybe that slot that it was in is fried or something?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:
So not only do you want to rub it in my face, but you also want to take offense to it? I love how you say "your favorite tech", so why wouldn't I see him, he's my fav.
smile.gif
I enjoy teasing others
tongue.gif

It does happen once in a while to see a bad ram channel on a mother board, but this issue is much rarer than defective ram.
If it's indeed the problem, you really got a bad luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, nuts