Rape and pregnancy: the ignorance of the GOP

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how biology works... at all... ever.

I mean, if you're trying to legislate on women's issues in the place of women, you should at least know something about the subject matter at hand (especially if you are an elected official in the nation's highest, most powerful legislature). There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.

Ducks say hello. This is just a pitiful attempt at someone trying to make a perpetually-invalid point whilst maintaining a level of such ignorance anybody with half a brain cell could see through. This is laughable, really. People voted these nitwits in, so who's to blame at this point?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how biology works... at all... ever.

I mean, if you're trying to legislate on women's issues in the place of women, you should at least know something about the subject matter at hand (especially if you are an elected official in the nation's highest, most powerful legislature). There is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.

Ducks say hello.

And that's more about ducks than I needed to know. Maybe Freind will write this comment off as an appeal to his duck constituents.

Reactions: 4 people

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
They chose to do that by their own free will, and should therefore live with their decision.
And the unwanted child? Was it their free will to be foisted upon unwilling parents? It must be brilliant to know that the entire reason for your existence is to teach some slapper a lesson. When you see the lamentable state of some parents it's clear an abortion would have been a more responsible thing to do than having a child.

If the child is unwanted, then why bring it into the world in the first place? Also, I didn't say I was completely against abortion altogether. I said government-aided abortion was ok for just those that never had a choice due to [censored]. And for those who got pregnant out of stupidity? Take out your own wallet for an abortion that shouldn't have been needed had one been smart about what they were doing beforehand.
You already have to pay for abortions.

I think you should be able to get an abortion if you want an abortion.
Simple as that.

The only people who are opposed to it are opposed to it because of religion but not everyone practices the same religion and as a result people should be able to get abortions when they want.

That's why I said "government-aided" abortions.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They chose to do that by their own free will, and should therefore live with their decision.
And the unwanted child? Was it their free will to be foisted upon unwilling parents? It must be brilliant to know that the entire reason for your existence is to teach some slapper a lesson. When you see the lamentable state of some parents it's clear an abortion would have been a more responsible thing to do than having a child.

If the child is unwanted, then why bring it into the world in the first place? Also, I didn't say I was completely against abortion altogether. I said government-aided abortion was ok for just those that never had a choice due to [censored]. And for those who got pregnant out of stupidity? Take out your own wallet for an abortion that shouldn't have been needed had one been smart about what they were doing beforehand.
You already have to pay for abortions.

I think you should be able to get an abortion if you want an abortion.
Simple as that.

The only people who are opposed to it are opposed to it because of religion but not everyone practices the same religion and as a result people should be able to get abortions when they want.

My bad I thought we were talking about illegalizing abortion.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you know that if males don't want to impregnate a woman, they can just think really hard that they don't want to and their sperm will self-detonate upon ejaculation? Look it up, I didn't.

Reactions: 1 person

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country

So abortions for the rich only. Gotcha. Presumably you're also against funding for contraception?

So if you're a 30-year-old CEO who doesn't want a baby to get in the way of her career, abort away! If you're a 16 year old who's condom broke and you don't want to say to your dad "Uh, can you lend me $3k for an abortion please" tough luck, potentially life-threatening pregnancy or coathanger abortion for you. The system works.

How does it possibly make sense that the only people who don't have access to safe abortion are also the only people who can't afford to raise a child? Should there be government funding for if the abortion is to protect the health of the mother? How about her mental health?

Anyway, here's another cracker from the GOP
Mike Huckabee Would Like to Remind You That [censored] Has Created Some Extraordinary People
http://gawker.com/59...ordinary-people

I do see that Romney and Ryan have tried to distance themselves from the issue by saying they're both in favour of allowing abortion in cases of [censored]. I'm not sure I've ever thought about this in detail before, but how on earth would a system like that, where abortion was illegal apart from in cases of [censored], actually work in the real world? I presume the people enacting the law would be keen to avoid a situation where abortion was just as freely available as before, but required a work around of ticking a box saying "Reason for abortion - [censored]". But then there's got to be some kind of burden of proof on the victim. Do we wait the entire duration of a court case until we get a guilty verdict, by which time we could easily be in late term abortion territory (or even after birth, considering [censored] is under-reported and a victim may not come forward until they realise they've fallen pregnant from the attack)? Or do you get an abortion coupon as soon as you make the allegation, with the proviso that if you then withdraw the allegation or the suspect's guilt (if the suspect is even apprehended) is not proven beyond reasonable doubt then you face a charge of... What, murder?

In terms of 'legitimate' [censored], I think basically what goes on in these people's heads is that 'legitimate' [censored] is a [censored] they think could happen to them or their family. Your wife lying in bed in her ankle-length nightgown when a guy with a shotgun and a ski-mask breaks down the door, that's legitimate [censored]. As opposed to people 'crying [censored]' after doing things you, your wife or daughter wouldn't do, like going out and drinking, or going to a bar, or traveling alone, wearing revealing clothing or being alone in the company of a male friend without a chaperone. You want the loop-hole to be there for good honest God fearing folk just in case of an encounter with Mr Skimask, but you don't want people getting abortions willy-nilly for 'lesser' rapes.

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So abortions for the rich only. Gotcha. Presumably you're also against funding for contraception?

So if you're a 30-year-old CEO who doesn't want a baby to get in the way of her career, abort away! If you're a 16 year old who's condom broke and you don't want to say to your dad "Uh, can you lend me $3k for an abortion please" tough luck, potentially life-threatening pregnancy or coathanger abortion for you. The system works.

How does it possibly make sense that the only people who don't have access to safe abortion are also the only people who can't afford to raise a child? Should there be government funding for if the abortion is to protect the health of the mother? How about her mental health?

Anyway, here's another cracker from the GOP
Mike Huckabee Would Like to Remind You That [censored] Has Created Some Extraordinary People
http://gawker.com/59...ordinary-people

I do see that Romney and Ryan have tried to distance themselves from the issue by saying they're both in favour of allowing abortion in cases of [censored]. I'm not sure I've ever thought about this in detail before, but how on earth would a system like that, where abortion was illegal apart from in cases of [censored], actually work in the real world? I presume the people enacting the law would be keen to avoid a situation where abortion was just as freely available as before, but required a work around of ticking a box saying "Reason for abortion - [censored]". But then there's got to be some kind of burden of proof on the victim. Do we wait the entire duration of a court case until we get a guilty verdict, by which time we could easily be in late term abortion territory (or even after birth, considering [censored] is under-reported and a victim may not come forward until they realise they've fallen pregnant from the attack)? Or do you get an abortion coupon as soon as you make the allegation, with the proviso that if you then withdraw the allegation or the suspect's guilt (if the suspect is even apprehended) is not proven beyond reasonable doubt then you face a charge of... What, murder?

In terms of 'legitimate' [censored], I think basically what goes on in these people's heads is that 'legitimate' [censored] is a [censored] they think could happen to them or their family. Your wife lying in bed in her ankle-length nightgown when a guy with a shotgun and a ski-mask breaks down the door, that's legitimate [censored]. As opposed to people 'crying [censored]' after doing things you, your wife or daughter wouldn't do, like going out and drinking, or going to a bar, or traveling alone, wearing revealing clothing or being alone in the company of a male friend without a chaperone. You want the loop-hole to be there for good honest God fearing folk just in case of an encounter with Mr Skimask, but you don't want people getting abortions willy-nilly for 'lesser' rapes.

Just for giggles I think I will also throw therapeutic stuff in there- eventually the line gets quite fine between ectopic pregnancy, mother gets something unpleasant (I have some rather unpleasant stories of people being diagnosed with eminently survivable cancers but letting them go for 9 months turning it into a fatal one but that is a different discussion), foetus gets diagnosed with something unpleasant and young person really would not do well to be laden with a kid (most people are what 26 before they hit their stride?).

Anyway 3k these days.... I assume that is for the surgical version (chemical ones do well these days) but wow I guess I still love me some NHS (not that I ever disliked it).

As for the second part..... I though my drivel shield was good after many years wandering the internet and it is not like it is the first time I have encountered American politician but that.... granted it probably hits the buttons for the "right" people (although I have unpleasant things to say about anyone that would consider saying it is the fault of the victim) and I wonder what the stats would say about shotgun wielding, balaclava clad and sexual assault happy home intruders.

ankle-length nightgown.....wearing revealing clothing
Anyone want to take a bet one this one also likely to rail on the wearing of a Burka and such without a possible clue about the irony?

Edit following up/in response to below- assuming about.com is a reasonable source ( http://civilliberty.about.com/od/abortion/f/Average-Cost-of-an-Abortion.htm ) prices seem to hover around half a grand for both chemical and surgical which is a not inconsiderable sum of money for most and for the more vulnerable/paycheck to paycheck types that would hurt badly. They probably could rise to 3k if you get a fancy place to have it happen (full surgical complement easily starts at several grand) but it is probably best to start at the functional equivalent level.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I have to admit, I pulled the 3k figure out of thin air for the sake of argument, no idea how much it would cost for a private abortion are various stages of pregnancy with no health insurance.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Guess I can go farther than this.

A better method than abortion for this 16 yo is to NOT GET KNOCKED UP in the first place. Seriously, anyone who is stupid enough to think "it won't happen to me", and then does, should have to deal with the consequences, because that is what life is. Learning from your mistakes. Sex makes babies? Who da thunk! What are those sex educational videos teaching kids if not that sex can create babies? Oh, I get it. The teens ignore the consequences because they only want the positive side of sex. Why would this 16 yo want to get knocked up in the first place if not for the selfish side of getting pleasure from it?

Consequences is not something that can be simply ignored, so why should anyone with a horny mind be able to get away with stupidity? Why should the government be involved in personal affairs such as this? I thought people wanted less government involvement? I guess it is only when the government is on their side, such that they only want what is beneficial from the government and reject all that does the opposite when both must exist. Life-threatening pregnancy? I do think life should be preserved, but I also know that people should learn from their mistakes. No, I'm not saying they should die to teach people a lesson, but government doesn't need to be involved for this abortion, and a lesson does need to be taught or people will continue to be stupid. People have to pay out of their own pocket for stupid stuff they do every day, which includes things that are life threatening. It must not be a problem for this 16 yo that is involved in a possible life-threatening pregnancy if they feel it isn't necessary to involve their parents like you mentioned in your example.

I still keep my stance on [censored] victims being able to have government-aided abortions because, unlike the horny teenagers and adults who feel they can ignore the consequences, these victims had no choice and were forced into it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

A better method than abortion for this 16 yo is to NOT GET KNOCKED UP in the first place. Seriously, anyone who is stupid enough to think "it won't happen to me", and then does, should have to deal with the consequences, because that is what life is. Learning from your mistakes. Sex makes babies? Who da thunk! What are those sex educational videos teaching kids if not that sex can create babies? Oh, I get it. The teens ignore the consequences because they only want the positive side of sex. Why would this 16 yo want to get knocked up in the first place if not for the selfish side of getting pleasure from it?

Consequences is not something that can be simply ignored, so why should anyone with a horny mind be able to get away with stupidity? Why should the government be involved in personal affairs such as this? I thought people wanted less government involvement? I guess it is only when the government is on their side, such that they only want what is beneficial from the government and reject all that does the opposite when both must exist. Life-threatening pregnancy? I do think life should be preserved, but I also know that people should learn from their mistakes. No, I'm not saying they should die to teach people a lesson, but government doesn't need to be involved for this abortion, and a lesson does need to be taught or people will continue to be stupid. People have to pay out of their own pocket for stupid stuff they do every day, which includes things that are life threatening. It must not be a problem for this 16 yo that is involved in a possible life-threatening pregnancy if they feel it isn't necessary to involve their parents like you mentioned in your example.

I still keep my stance on [censored] victims being able to have government-aided abortions because, unlike the horny teenagers and adults who feel they can ignore the consequences, these victims had no choice and were forced into it.

First I should probably address that in the UK 16 is the age of consent give or take some stuff with carers/teachers which probably influences things a bit (as I understand it is 16 is some states with age provisos like the older can only be up to 18 or something and those are a bit contentious). Such a thing has made for some interesting discussions vis a vis driving, military stuff, drinking and firearms but that is a different discussion.

Sex education..... in a world where abstinence pledges exist and are encouraged in lieu of sex education you are really going to go that way? Beyond that I have seen some horrible things with people claiming condoms only work a smaller percentage than they actually do (strictly speaking some of the stuff they say is somewhat accurate... if you do not know how to actually use things). I certainly will call some of the things people think mind boggling stupid (I smoke weed therefore being my absolute favourite one) but it is not a clear cut issue.

"deal with the consequences"
The straight quid pro quo logic part of me says if you get pregnant and it is not ideal for it to be taken forward at this point then the consequence is an abortion becomes a useful medical procedure. Beyond that I would not consider it a strawman to liken forcing the bringing to term of a pregnancy/keeping a baby as a "punishment" of sorts to be quite barbaric.... although I want a better term as most nomadic/"barbarian" tribes I have studied actually have better methods of handling things there (to say nothing of the potential pregnancy terminating features of silphium- a now extinct plant but one that went extinct when written language was definitely a thing). Likewise I probably want to link freakanomics up although that heads towards areas some people find a bit uncomfortable.

"I thought people wanted less government involvement?"
I would contend government involvement is awesome provided they are awesome.... historically that is not as prevalent as it could be but there are examples and got reactions and good proactive stuff. As for the involvement itself funding welfare type things is one of the main functions of a government no?

"selfish side of getting pleasure from it"..... sex is fun and the moment you start saying otherwise is where you lose people and that is fairly well documented in education- it is the whole drugs are bad.... "but my mate took ecstasy, is fine and had a whale of a time" all of which might be quite accurate (give or take some of the potentially more questionable stuff as to the long term effects of ecstasy but I could probably sub in another drug) thing again. I agree simple messages certainly have their place but unlike many drugs sex is fun and can be made incredibly safe with not a lot of effort.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First I should probably address that in the UK 16 is the age of consent give or take some stuff with carers/teachers which probably influences things a bit (as I understand it is 16 is some states with age provisos like the older can only be up to 18 or something and those are a bit contentious). Such a thing has made for some interesting discussions vis a vis driving, military stuff, drinking and firearms but that is a different discussion.

Sex education..... in a world where abstinence pledges exist and are encouraged in lieu of sex education you are really going to go that way? Beyond that I have seen some horrible things with people claiming condoms only work a smaller percentage than they actually do (strictly speaking some of the stuff they say is somewhat accurate... if you do not know how to actually use things). I certainly will call some of the things people think mind boggling stupid (I smoke weed therefore being my absolute favourite one) but it is not a clear cut issue.

"deal with the consequences"
The straight quid pro quo logic part of me says if you get pregnant and it is not ideal for it to be taken forward at this point then the consequence is an abortion becomes a useful medical procedure. Beyond that I would not consider it a strawman to liken forcing the bringing to term of a pregnancy/keeping a baby as a "punishment" of sorts to be quite barbaric.... although I want a better term as most nomadic/"barbarian" tribes I have studied actually have better methods of handling things there (to say nothing of the potential pregnancy terminating features of silphium- a now extinct plant but one that went extinct when written language was definitely a thing). Likewise I probably want to link freakanomics up although that heads towards areas some people find a bit uncomfortable.

"I thought people wanted less government involvement?"
I would contend government involvement is awesome provided they are awesome.... historically that is not as prevalent as it could be but there are examples and got reactions and good proactive stuff. As for the involvement itself funding welfare type things is one of the main functions of a government no?

"selfish side of getting pleasure from it"..... sex is fun and the moment you start heading otherwise is where you lose people and that is fairly well documented in education- it is the whole drugs are bad.... "but my mate took ecstasy, is fine and had a whale of a time" all of which might be quite accurate (give or take some of the potentially more questionable stuff as to the long term effects of ecstasy but I could probably sub in another drug) thing again.

While I agree that sex education in the US is terrible (I don't even remember my class, and only small segments from health class) most of the time it's parents who opt out of such classes. They do it in order to give their son or daughter their own brand of teaching. Most of the time they do an even worse job at it, or not at all.

Discostew's point is that when a properly educated you woman (who is also the proper age for consent) gets pregnant, yet she doesn't want a kid, she or her parents should have to pay out of pocket costs for an abortion. Government help could still extend to people who are too poor to properly take care of a kid, but in that case, it shouldn't happen in the first place. Government help SHOULD extend to those who have been improperly educated, underaged, or victims of [censored] if they so desire. This is what I think He's trying to say, and this is also my stance.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country

Are you for real? Your genuine response to this issue is to suggest that poor people only have sexless relationships unless they want a child? And you live in a reality where you think that can and should happen?

And if they are forced to carry the baby to term and can't afford to feed the child, that comes out of the pockets of everyone, at a cost far greater than that of an abortion or morning after pill (if you're the kind of nut that considers that abortion)? Or we just let it starve to death?

Maybe when someone crashes their car or falls off their bike and needs a trip to the A&E they should be denied medical treatment for that as well, to 'teach them a lesson'. Maybe if you can't afford years of surgery to rebuild your hand you shouldn't own a gun in case it explodes.

thisismyname

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Akin is an idiot. Newsflash: the world is full of them. I'm using a near-literal definition of full.

Attacks on Huckabee are inflammatory and irrelevant, as he was discussing a very real downside to abortion; you're talking about killing people and snuffing out their futures.
Don't really care about your reasons, it sounds like murder to me.....because it is.
Quoting Obama is laughable, as the amount of evidence that he hates the Hebrew people stacks so high I won't even link any of it; you'd just avert your eyes 'cause issues dear to your heart are all that matter.

Regrettably, a part of the human condition is that, whether you agree or not, abortion should be universally illegal because it allows you to turn "human being" into a subjective term.
---Plain and simple.

And no, women, your rights don't trump that because blahdeblah-blah-blah.............sorry none of the nonsense is relevant enough for me to remember the rote recitation.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Akin is an idiot. Newsflash: the world is full of them. I'm using a near-literal definition of full.

Attacks on Huckabee are inflammatory and irrelevant, as he was discussing a very real downside to abortion; you're talking about killing people and snuffing out their futures.
Don't really care about your reasons, it sounds like murder to me.....because it is.
Quoting Obama is laughable, as the amount of evidence that he hates the Hebrew people stacks so high I won't even link any of it; you'd just avert your eyes 'cause issues dear to your heart are all that matter.

Regrettably, a part of the human condition is that, whether you agree or not, abortion should be universally illegal because it allows you to turn "human being" into a subjective term.
---Plain and simple.

And no, women, your rights don't trump that because blahdeblah-blah-blah.............sorry none of the nonsense is relevant enough for me to remember the rote recitation.

And calling two cells a 'human being' isn't being subjective at all.

If we're not out there being promiscuous every second of every day, how many potential humans are we 'robbing of their futures'? If a woman is forced to carry a pregnancy to term and it means she has to give up work, when if she'd had the abortion she would have gone on to be successful enough to chose to have four kids instead of just the one,have those three children had their futures snuffed out?

Aside from the immorality of forbidding abortion, it simply doesn't work in the real world, as much as some of the bleeding heart idealists on the far right would like to believe it would.

Not even going to bother with the paranoid wingnut nonsense about Obama and off-topic irrelevant antisemitism accusations.

Hardly anyone genuinely believes abortion is 'murder' when actually pressed on it, because only a very small amount of pro-lifers are against (or at least admit to being against) abortion to save the life of the mother or in cases of incest//child abuse/[censored]. It's just hyperbole. If it's 'murder' then how come murder is OK in these circumstances?

Aside from anything else, the definition of murder is the illegal taking of life. In countries where abortion is legal, if you agree with it or not, it is a stone cold fact that abortion is not murder.

Reactions: 3 people

thisismyname

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

---Plain and simple.

And calling two cells a 'human being' isn't being subjective at all.
Were you trying to prove my point there? You were two cells once....are you not a human being?

vvvSTRAWMAN....BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:
If we're not out there being promiscuous every second of every day, how many potential humans are we 'robbing of their futures'? If a woman is forced to carry a pregnancy to term and it means she has to give up work, when if she'd had the abortion she would have gone on to be successful enough to chose to have four kids instead of just the one,have those three children had their futures snuffed out?

Aside from the immorality of forbidding abortion, it simply doesn't work in the real world, as much as some of the bleeding heart idealists on the far right would like to believe it would.

I live in the real world, where I know lots of people who have had, or who WERE unwanted pregnancies. It works fine.....for those who aren't the absolute center of their own universe.

Not even going to bother with the paranoid wingnut nonsense about Obama.
Exactly why I need no links. XD

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
What you mean is 'I have no links that won't make me look like an idiot'

You were a sperm once, do those socks under your bed contain a massacre?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All that she wants, is another storefront.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The homeless live in the compactors at Walmart
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The homeless live in the compactors at Walmart