Gaming Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy coming to Vita in July

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I never got the chance to play most of the original Ratchet and Clank games, so, after making sure this isn't a Jak & Daxter level Vita port, I'll probably be picking this up. It can go along side the Sly Collection I'm grabbing for my Vita. Regardless of what people say, having some of the best PS2 games available on the go is phenomenal.

I gotta say though, I love how flip floppy people are. You want PS2 games on the go, sure, but as soon as they're given to you, you whine and complain because, me oh my, a company wants to actually make money off the endeavor. Seriously, most of you suck.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wonder why people complain about ports, anything that gets more games on a platform regardless of who makes it is a good thing.

That being said I can kind of understand people poo pooing on the Vita because it seems like a large portion of it's library is ports. (At least anything with a recognizable name attached to it.) Besides didn't Sony say the Vita was not going to be a port machine?

On the pro side again, more games = good! Also these where some good games from what I heard so if I was owning a Vita and I didn't have these on PS2 or PS3, I might just pick it up on the Vita.

liamash3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've only played R&C 1 and part of 2, so this is rather appealing to me. Not to mention its nice $20-30 price tag :)
What did people mean by a "Jak and Daxter" level port? Was that game set ported poorly, so it ran slowly or something?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I've only played R&C 1 and part of 2, so this is rather appealing to me. Not to mention its nice $20-30 price tag :)
What did people mean by a "Jak and Daxter" level port? Was that game set ported poorly, so it ran slowly or something?
Jak & Daxter just got a terrible port to the Vita. Frame rate issues, input lag, lots of stuff like that. It isn't even what might be considered remotely bearable. No other port has failed that badly on the Vita to date, but after seeing that, it has left people somewhat wary.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jak & Daxter just got a terrible port to the Vita. Frame rate issues, input lag, lots of stuff like that. It isn't even what might be considered remotely bearable. No other port has failed that badly on the Vita to date, but after seeing that, it has left people somewhat wary.
Don't forget the Full Frontal Assault port..ugh..
Anyway, for anyone that doesn't know, Mass Media worked on the Jak and Daxter port so umm...

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta say though, I love how flip floppy people are. You want PS2 games on the go, sure, but as soon as they're given to you, you whine and complain because, me oh my, a company wants to actually make money off the endeavor. Seriously, most of you suck.

I have no problem at all with Sony taking a good game and porting it to another system. The problem is Sony, over the past year, hasn't exactly done a top notch job of giving this system a large amount of quality original content. This release doesn't do a thing to rectify that problem.

Nintendo, with its extensive amount of exclusive 3DS content, has done a lot to prop up its handheld sales. Sony could easily do the same for Vita. They just choose not to.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I have no problem at all with Sony taking a good game and porting it to another system. The problem is Sony, over the past year, hasn't exactly done a top notch job of giving this system a large amount of quality original content. This release doesn't do a thing to rectify that problem.

Nintendo, with its extensive amount of exclusive 3DS content, has done a lot to prop up its handheld sales. Sony could easily do the same for Vita. They just choose not to.
A few things about the 3DS:
1) Most of the content only exists because third parties hate Nintendo. It's a rare sight to see proper third party support on anything Nintendo made, and it has been for well over a decade.

2) The 3DS doesn't exactly have a quality library itself. It may have exclusive titles, but many of them are short and/or are lackluster due to a rushed release schedule (see: the new Yoshi game). This problem stems from the aforementioned issue of no third party content to fill in the already sizable gaps in the 3DS release schedule.

3) Because of the lack of third party support and the fact that Nintendo absolutely needs to handle the system the way they do if they want it to survive and sell, it is not really possible to compare the 3DS and Vita to each other in this respect. The Vita has a lot of power under the hood and unlike Nintendo, Sony isn't sitting on what is essentially a list of five different templates where they simply have to fill in the blanks and suddenly they have a "new" exclusive that has a 25 year fan base built around it. This means actual thought needs to go into devising original content, and due to the hardware and what the system is capable of, development cycles on exclusive content are clearly going to be longer on the Vita than the 3DS. Ports filling in the gaps between exclusive releases isn't a bad thing when this is taken into consideration, and a little research would find that the Vita isn't exactly hurting for exclusives either.

This whole "Vita has no games" or "Vita is just a system for ports" is ridiculous though, really.

You can't simply ignore the likes of:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Killzone: Mercenary
Ys: Memories of Celceta
and Demon Gaze

That is just the most notable of the exclusive content as well. There is certainly more already out and slated to come out down the line, and between all of these releases, yes, there have been a number of ports, but the majority have been handled well and have added to the Vita library. Honestly, I find it even more ridiculous that people complain about Vita ports when they then praise the likes of:

Legend of Zelda: OoT 3D
Starfox 64 3D
Pokemon Gen III remakes

What are those doing that the HD ports aren't doing on the Vita? Why do those get a pass? Because it's Nintendo so clearly it's okay if they do it, but if Sony dare release some ports on the Vita, may the gates of Hell engulf them for daring to see a market that is open to and willing to purchase the content? I get this is a Nintendo forum, but the way some of you ignore the merits of the Vita and bash it while ignoring the massive flaws of the 3DS astounds me.

Tell me, what's better? The near nothing the 3DS has seen in quality content in the past six months, or the steady stream of quality content the Vita has been receiving the past six months, exclusive content and ports alike? Can all of you truly ignore the way the 3DS has clearly been struggling for content?

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Seriously, while it's good news we need more original Vita content. Even GOW starts to show its age - PS2 ports are a good side-dish, but not the main one. What has happened after the awesome KZ and Tearaway? I don't have any intention to start a holywar, but Nintendo, having roughly the same situation with Wii U, works hard to get original content on it.

A few things about the 3DS:
1) Most of the content only exists because third parties hate Nintendo. It's a rare sight to see proper third party support on anything Nintendo made, and it has been for well over a decade.

2) The 3DS doesn't exactly have a quality library itself. It may have exclusive titles, but many of them are short and/or are lackluster due to a rushed release schedule (see: the new Yoshi game). This problem stems from the aforementioned issue of no third party content to fill in the already sizable gaps in the 3DS release schedule.

3) Because of the lack of third party support and the fact that Nintendo absolutely needs to handle the system the way they do if they want it to survive and sell, it is not really possible to compare the 3DS and Vita to each other in this respect. The Vita has a lot of power under the hood and unlike Nintendo, Sony isn't sitting on what is essentially a list of five different templates where they simply have to fill in the blanks and suddenly they have a "new" exclusive that has a 25 year fan base built around it. This means actual thought needs to go into devising original content, and due to the hardware and what the system is capable of, development cycles on exclusive content are clearly going to be longer on the Vita than the 3DS. Ports filling in the gaps between exclusive releases isn't a bad thing when this is taken into consideration, and a little research would find that the Vita isn't exactly hurting for exclusives either.

This whole "Vita has no games" or "Vita is just a system for ports" is ridiculous though, really.

You can't simply ignore the likes of:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Killzone: Mercenary
Ys: Memories of Celceta
and Demon Gaze

That is just the most notable of the exclusive content as well. There is certainly more already out and slated to come out down the line, and between all of these releases, yes, there have been a number of ports, but the majority have been handled well and have added to the Vita library. Honestly, I find it even more ridiculous that people complain about Vita ports when they then praise the likes of:

Legend of Zelda: OoT 3D
Starfox 64 3D
Pokemon Gen III remakes

What are those doing that the HD ports aren't doing on the Vita? Why do those get a pass? Because it's Nintendo so clearly it's okay if they do it, but if Sony dare release some ports on the Vita, may the gates of Hell engulf them for daring to see a market that is open to and willing to purchase the content? I get this is a Nintendo forum, but the way some of you ignore the merits of the Vita and bash it while ignoring the massive flaws of the 3DS astounds me.

Tell me, what's better? The near nothing the 3DS has seen in quality content in the past six months, or the steady stream of quality content the Vita has been receiving the past six months, exclusive content and ports alike? Can all of you truly ignore the way the 3DS has clearly been struggling for content?

Sir, you're kinda making up things here. First, you take ALL the better original titles in the Vita lifespan and cram them together, regardless of the time of their release. You could do the same for the 3DS, and get a pile: from Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds to DoA Demensions and Bravely Default. The pile is much, much bigger - just check Gamerankings. There are ports, yes, but waaay fewer, than on the Vita. In the last six months the 3DS got original titles like A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Professor Layton and The Azran Legacy, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros, Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Rune Factory 4. It's not "nothing".

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Soul Sacrifice, GoW collection, Rayman Legends, Borderlands 2 and now this, I need to get a Vita.

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only my PS+ hadn't expired i could've got GoW Collection 4 Free :(

Hopefully Free Terraria on Vita next month makes up for it........

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, while it's good news we need more original Vita content. Even GOW starts to show its age - PS2 ports are a good side-dish, but not the main one. What has happened after the awesome KZ and Tearaway? I don't have any intention to start a holywar, but Nintendo, having roughly the same situation with Wii U, works hard to get original content on it.

Sir, you're kinda making up things here. First, you take ALL the better original titles in the Vita lifespan and cram them together, regardless of the time of their release. You could do the same for the 3DS, and get a pile: from Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds to DoA Demensions and Bravely Default. The pile is much, much bigger - just check Gamerankings. There are ports, yes, but waaay fewer, than on the Vita. In the last six months the 3DS got original titles like A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Professor Layton and The Azran Legacy, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros, Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Rune Factory 4. It's not "nothing".

I think there was a Resident Evil game on the 3DS too, from what I heard it was pretty good. Also some sort of big release of an old franchise something like Kid Icarus or something. I seem to recall it selling pretty well too?

I try not to pay too much attention to either handheld, if I was forced to buy one or the other today. I would pick the 3DS.

I expected the Vita to do soooo much better that for a time before launch I expected it to be the first system to have a shot at taking the lead in handhelds since the 80's. Nintendo's handheld death grip remains in tact...

Ahh well as long as you know what your getting when buying a Vita, you will be happy. Expecting a portable system with an epic library? Wait a couple of years you will get it, just not right now.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think you understand how a calendar works. In the case of the past six months, that means primarily January forward, though if you want to count the lackluster December, go for it. Otherwise, let's see:

A Link Between Worlds: does not refute my point about Nintendo working off a template, nor does it refute the idea that they push out shorter, lackluster titles for the sake of closing gaps in their Nintendo-only release schedule. Even then, November last year isn't exactly recent.

Bravely Default: Only popular because there was literally nothing else worthwhile released on the 3DS for two months prior to its release. During a drought, even if the water is a little dirty, people will take it over dying of dehydration, so to speak.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Last year.

Professor Layton and The Azran Legacy: Appeals to a very niche audience for one (as Professor Layton has from the start), and last I heard, even Professor Layton fans didn't find this one to be all that good. Not exactly a stellar example.

Rune Factory 4: Not only is this not from the last six months, but we will never see another Rune Factory game again. So, ya know, not exactly a reliable franchise, nor a good point.

Mario and Luigi: When did this one release again? Near the beginning of the 3DS life? Yeah, I thought so.

So, now that we've established that you have no understanding of how time works, let me further confirm my point by pointing you to this handy list that Metacritic provides that has every 3DS release of note on it, organized by date, from most recent to earliest: link - notice anything interesting? How about the distinct lack of not only notable, but good content released for the 3DS since the start of 2014? There may be a couple of titles that are actually good, but of the handful, at least half have fallen short as not being good enough to warrant the purchase price, or even really a play through. You can't tell me this outdoes the Vita. You really, truly can not. You could potentially argue that the Vita is not doing better, but you can't say the 3DS is doing good simply because people blindly buy into it out of nothing but brand loyalty.

How about I now hit on how you cherry picked from my post to make your sub par argument? I named the good exclusive content from the Vita's about 1.2 years of life at this point. 1.2 years, and I was able to name more than a handful of exclusive, original content worth playing and owning. This seems to refute the argument of the fact that the Vita gets no exclusive content, no? It's not only exclusive content, but it's quality. The ports filling in gaps between exclusive releases does not hinder the Vita either. If anything, it strengthens the library by giving further access to PS1, PSP, and now even PS2 games right there on the Vita, on the go. Even five years ago, people would have done a lot for this ability, but it wasn't possible. Now that it is not only possible, but being enabled by Sony, we boo it and frown on it because, well damn it, Sony actually has third parties that want to work with them and that's a bad thing! Nintendo's lack of third party support isn't a strength. It hinders them, horribly, and leads to garbage like the latest Yoshi game out of desperation to get something, anything out there to clear up the sometimes months without any releases of any note. Are ports really worse than that? Really? Are you so blinded by brand loyalty that you can't recognize the shortcomings of the 3DS? Neither handheld is perfect, and acting like Nintendo is still a handheld king is just silly, as they're suffering as well.

As a final note, just to drive this point home: the 3DS requires Nintendo exclusive content to survive. People do not buy third party content 99% of the time when its released on Nintendo systems which is precisely why Nintendo systems have such a hard time getting third parties on board. In the long run, of course the 3DS will have more exclusive content because Nintendo almost exclusively keeps the system afloat. That doesn't make the number of exclusives impressive. If anything, relative to the amount of third party content, the amount of first party exclusives throughout the 3DS's life so far reeks more of desperation than of originality.

I will be the first to say that the Vita isn't perfect, but acting like it's doing something wrong just because it gets more ports than you get on your Nintendo console is really just dumb.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I don't think you understand how a calendar works. In the case of the past six months, that means primarily January forward, though if you want to count the lackluster December, go for it. Otherwise, let's see:

A Link Between Worlds: does not refute my point about Nintendo working off a template, nor does it refute the idea that they push out shorter, lackluster titles for the sake of closing gaps in their Nintendo-only release schedule. Even then, November last year isn't exactly recent.

Bravely Default: Only popular because there was literally nothing else worthwhile released on the 3DS for two months prior to its release. During a drought, even if the water is a little dirty, people will take it over dying of dehydration, so to speak.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Last year.

Professor Layton and The Azran Legacy: Appeals to a very niche audience for one (as Professor Layton has from the start), and last I heard, even Professor Layton fans didn't find this one to be all that good. Not exactly a stellar example.

Rune Factory 4: Not only is this not from the last six months, but we will never see another Rune Factory game again. So, ya know, not exactly a reliable franchise, nor a good point.

Mario and Luigi: When did this one release again? Near the beginning of the 3DS life? Yeah, I thought so.

So, now that we've established that you have no understanding of how time works, let me further confirm my point by pointing you to this handy list that Metacritic provides that has every 3DS release of note on it, organized by date, from most recent to earliest: link - notice anything interesting? How about the distinct lack of not only notable, but good content released for the 3DS since the start of 2014? There may be a couple of titles that are actually good, but of the handful, at least half have fallen short as not being good enough to warrant the purchase price, or even really a play through. You can't tell me this outdoes the Vita. You really, truly can not. You could potentially argue that the Vita is not doing better, but you can't say the 3DS is doing good simply because people blindly buy into it out of nothing but brand loyalty.

How about I now hit on how you cherry picked from my post to make your sub par argument? I named the good exclusive content from the Vita's about 1.2 years of life at this point. 1.2 years, and I was able to name more than a handful of exclusive, original content worth playing and owning. This seems to refute the argument of the fact that the Vita gets no exclusive content, no? It's not only exclusive content, but it's quality. The ports filling in gaps between exclusive releases does not hinder the Vita either. If anything, it strengthens the library by giving further access to PS1, PSP, and now even PS2 games right there on the Vita, on the go. Even five years ago, people would have done a lot for this ability, but it wasn't possible. Now that it is not only possible, but being enabled by Sony, we boo it and frown on it because, well damn it, Sony actually has third parties that want to work with them and that's a bad thing! Nintendo's lack of third party support isn't a strength. It hinders them, horribly, and leads to garbage like the latest Yoshi game out of desperation to get something, anything out there to clear up the sometimes months without any releases of any note. Are ports really worse than that? Really? Are you so blinded by brand loyalty that you can't recognize the shortcomings of the 3DS? Neither handheld is perfect, and acting like Nintendo is still a handheld king is just silly, as they're suffering as well.

As a final note, just to drive this point home: the 3DS requires Nintendo exclusive content to survive. People do not buy third party content 99% of the time when its released on Nintendo systems which is precisely why Nintendo systems have such a hard time getting third parties on board. In the long run, of course the 3DS will have more exclusive content because Nintendo almost exclusively keeps the system afloat. That doesn't make the number of exclusives impressive. If anything, relative to the amount of third party content, the amount of first party exclusives throughout the 3DS's life so far reeks more of desperation than of originality.

I will be the first to say that the Vita isn't perfect, but acting like it's doing something wrong just because it gets more ports than you get on your Nintendo console is really just dumb.

Okay, I might have messed up the release dates, 'cos I've just used Gamerankings list with the criteria "released in last 6 month" without checking every release date. My bad. Let's see with your list, anyway. What did we get from January onwards?

Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Bravely Default
Inazuma Eleven
Denpa Man 3
Retro City Rampage DX
Yumi's Odd Odyssey

I'm leaving out the controversial Yoshi's New Island. These are not ports or HD remakes and these are games with high Metacritic scores - which eliminates the criteria of my personal likes and dislikes. What I can't understand is the logic you keep using: "I personally don't think the title is good enough hence it's not good enough". But why? Say, I don't like Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter-like games. The release of Soul Sacrifice of Soul Sacrifice Delta means nothing to me as a Vita owner. Yet, this is high-quality Vita content and I can't just dismiss its existence.

I can also name a handful of high-quality 3DS content released since 2011. High quality, original titles, as you put it. With high Gamerankings and Metacritic scores - i.e. approved as such by the press and players.

As for third-party content - well, excluding indies, the Vita doesn't have THAT much of it as well. The 3DS has less, but things are not THAT awful, as you try to show: let me just name Bravely Default, FF Theaterhytm, DoA: Dimensions, MGS 3D, Resident Evil: Reveleations, Street Fighter 4 3D, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, several Harvest Moon games, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei games, Phoenix Wright games, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Generations, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Kingdom Hearts: Dream, Drop Distance, Ridge Racer 3D, Rayman Origins, LEGO games, Skylanders games, Tekken 3D, Scribblenauts games. You can still go on. That's not a ton, but not something awful as you are trying to show.

And well, every system needs original content to survive. That's what is keeping it afloat. Otherwise I can just get a smartphone or a tablet. And you know what? Check the scores again - the point with Nintendo systems is that Nintendo keeps releasing GOOD and EXCELLENT titles. You might dislike them, but as I've pointed out earlier this changes nothing regarding their quality. So, Nintendo keeps generating good original and exclusive content for their system - with occasional flops like the latest Yoshi's Island. IMHO, that's better, than porting and porting. And that brings me to the point with which I've started: another remake collection is not bad, but we've seen nothing original since the excellent Tearaway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk