Gaming Rayman 3D, first critic review

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/859019-r...3ds-game-review

In short, they say that it's a great port, of a great game from 10 years ago. It seems to me they can't point out anything truly bad/wrong about it at all, except for the fact it's the same decade old Rayman 2 for Dreamcast.
QUOTE said:
It all sounds perfectly fine on paper but the problem is that the original was flawed enough at the time and everything it was attempting then has been mastered and improved by other, better games in the last decade or so.

So in short, it's a very good port of the Dreamcast version, if you've never played Rayman 2 or are a Rayman 2 fan, this is an excelent launch title to get.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Xuphor said:
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/859019-r...3ds-game-review

In short, they say that it's a great port, of a great game from 12 years ago. It seems to me they can't point out anything truly bad/wrong about it at all, except for the fact it's Rayman 2.
QUOTE said:
It all sounds perfectly fine on paper but the problem is that the original was flawed enough at the time and everything it was attempting then has been mastered and improved by other, better games in the last decade or so.

So in short, if you've never played Rayman 2 or are a Rayman 2 fan, this is an excelent launch title to get.

This isn't actually the first review. There were several reviews out before this...

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
This isn't actually the first review. There were several reviews out before this...

Link it then.
I have been searching everywhere for the past 5 days for a critic review of it, couldn't find a single one until now.

@KingVamp - IMO yes, they seem to not like retro games. Still, it confirms it's a very good and true-to-original port of the dreamcast version.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Feels Good Man said:
How?
There was an embargo on reviews of ubisoft's games until release date.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm relieved...

I bought the game, and heard it sucked (Port wise). I played the original a little, and it's a great game. I just want to play through the entire game, so as long as it was ported well, I'm satisfied.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
I'm relieved...

I bought the game, and heard it sucked (Port wise). I played the original a little, and it's a great game. I just want to play through the entire game, so as long as it was ported well, I'm satisfied.

Ditto. Since it's a very good and true to original port of Dreamcast's version, but with sterescopic 3D, I'm glad I stuck with this as my only launch title game choice.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that's NGamer, the person that reviewed it admits he hates Rayman, which invalidates his review because he's biased against it.

Also, I wouldn't call any of those real reviews until they say more than a couple of sentences about them.

EDIT: As someone on their own forums pointed out:
QUOTE said:
So wait, they completely hated it purely because they accurately ported one of the most highly rated platformers of all time, without needlessly adding new content?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...

I'm surprised that Ubisoft would have the balls to port a game and say that's it's "something new". If they just went outright and said "This is a port with 3D", I'm sure the game would have gotten a higher score. The screenshots look very nice.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Hmm...

I'm surprised that Ubisoft would have the balls to port a game and say that's it's "something new". If they just went outright and said "This is a port with 3D", I'm sure the game would have gotten a higher score. The screenshots look very nice.
10 years ago? It has to be new to someone.
laugh.gif

D

Deleted User

I was a bit skeptical of this game because of how Rayman DS ended up (ugh), but I bought it alongside Super Street Fighter IV 3D earlier when I went to midnight launch in UK.

...Bloody hell.

All I can say is the 3D in Rayman is amazing. And the game is great. Seriously. If you liked Rayman 2, you will love this.

D

Deleted User

Schizoanalysis said:
Is it the same as the N64 one?

I had that, but sold it years ago.
It's based on the Dreamcast version, not the N64 one, but yeah the N64 Rayman and the DC one were essentially the same game. Updated graphics, a bit less silly difficulty curve, amongst other things.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
I was a bit skeptical of this game because of how Rayman DS ended up (ugh), but I bought it alongside Super Street Fighter IV 3D earlier when I went to midnight launch in UK.

...Bloody hell.

All I can say is the 3D in Rayman is amazing. And the game is great. Seriously. If you liked Rayman 2, you will love this.
Once again, I am so relieved. I bought it on Tuesday (3DS doesn't come out until Sunday), and opened it because of hype. I then thought I made a big mistake because I started seeing everyone saying it was a terrible port (Which doesn't surprise me because it's Ubisoft...).

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like rayman games, if its a port from the dreamcast version (which i also have) then it should be good. Nintendo should make a port of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver in 3D.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
warmijwilfaain said:

...Bloody hell.

Once again, I am so relieved. I bought it on Tuesday (3DS doesn't come out until Sunday), and opened it because of hype. I then thought I made a big mistake because I started seeing everyone saying it was a terrible port (Which doesn't surprise me because it's Ubisoft...).
Why do you think Ubisoft would have made a bad port?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this and PilotWings will be my 2 launch titles. Not that I have the funds to buy either just yet...

Just waiting on my free $50 GameStop gift card from u.talk.back to arrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home